What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 1; restore, connectivity, sync, itunes, etc

SixDegrees

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,

1st post, so please bear with me. I've spent the past 2 days trawling the internet and this forums and have followed a few good guides on how to fix the 'restore' issue that I'm having with my iPad 1 (64Gb, 3GS, WiFi) - namley that it won't restore!!. I didn't post in the 'hacking' section as its more about process and how to restore to a normal OS than how to jailbreak (not bothered about that).

I've only been using the iPad for a couple of months and installed iTunes 10.4 two days ago for the 1st time. iTunes advsied I should update to 4.3.5 so happily I pressed the button - what a mistake that was - the update hung which forced me into a restore, which keeps hanging at the same point (approx 20% on the progress bar).

- I've installed Tiny Umbrella in order to get my 'blobs' as per the advice on here. Port 80 has been free'd up and I can start the TU TSS service - so assuming no 'blocker's with TU.

Q1 - when it press 'Save all SHSHs' nothing happens, button presses OK and thats it... am I supposed to see something. can do this many times but hee-haw taking place - any advice?

- DFU Mode; I've followed the instructions to put the device into DFU mode and from the look of it its in DFU mode; screen all back, no iTunes logo, no USB graphic, no Apple icon, etc. When I run restore via iTunes the iPad remains black for a short while then the screen goes complete white, the Apple logo appears, black again for a sec or 2 and then the Apple logo plus the progress bar

Q2 - is this correct. I took it that when in DFU mode it would remain all black until restore had completed and progress would be visible via the PC software not the device screen? iPad is also visible under device in iTunes when is 'DFU' mode.

Plus, its still hangs at the same point on the progress bar!

- iTunes diagnostics; I run this and everything is good-to-go except the Sync with Device test which reports no iPod/iPad etc connected. However, the iPad can be seen in iTunes, PC has detected it and loaded approprioate drivers, and when carrying out the restore you can see stuff happening on the PC and the iPad so I'm assuming that my PC and iPad are talking to each other.

Q3 - so whats this error mean? Should I ignore it or does it indicate an issue that could be part of the restore problem?

I bought the iPad 2nd hand but only a couple of months old, complete with box, warranty card, instructions, etc, eg mint and hardly used - think the guy got it as a pressie, but he wasn't into it, not his thing. Nothing installed on it but a few of the prev owners settings... and nothing to indicate it has been jailbroken. On that basis, all I'm looking to do it get it working again with whatever the current version of iOS is.

Any help is much appreciated, and if anyone is local in central Scotland who can help I'd be more than happy to show my appreciation!

Rgds

SD

Whatthe

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You are beyond the point of saving blobs.

You just have to restore to 4.3.5. But you say it hangs at 20%?
Thats weird. I have never seen anyone here say it did that. There is an app called "WiFi sync" which lets you sync wirelessly but it messes up restores. And if you have never been Jailbroken, then I don't know what to tell you.

OP
S

SixDegrees

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I moved your thread to our Hacking section. You can start reading some of the stickies we have here ~ see if that helps until someone pops along!

Good Luck!

Thats the one I read and tried before posting. I'm fairly comptent with PCs but a complete noob when it comes to Apple, plus unlike Pcs there's no recovery disk or external thing I can chuck in a drive, its all about syncing, internet, etc so I cant actually get in and about the nuts-n-bolts.

If someone could provide some answers to the questions I posted to see if I've gone wrong somewhere along the way, that would be much appreciated.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
OK, you probably didn't need to use TU, but since you are now, you need to get it done right so that it will succeed. Follow this tutorial EXACTLY as written. The steps are really important. Then you should get at least your 4.3.5 blobs into TU...

http://www.ipadforums.net/jailbreak...01-how-save-your-shsh-blobs-tinyumbrella.html

Then, with the "TSS Server Started" put your device into DFU mode and press restore in iTunes. See how you get on. It should not hang at 20%.

IF it does, I can only think of two possible things.

1) Turn off all your anti-virus software. That's been common problem on Windows machines in the past. The disrupt the communications.

2) You have a hardware fault :( If it consistently fails at the same stage and you have followed the other instructions exactly, then I'm afraid that's what is sounds like.

You could try eliminating your PC as the problem by using anyone else's. Just connect it to any machine with iTunes and press restore.

Let us know how you get on.

OP
S

SixDegrees

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK, you probably didn't need to use TU, but since you are now, you need to get it done right so that it will succeed. Follow this tutorial EXACTLY as written. The steps are really important. Then you should get at least your 4.3.5 blobs into TU...

http://www.ipadforums.net/jailbreak...01-how-save-your-shsh-blobs-tinyumbrella.html

Then, with the "TSS Server Started" put your device into DFU mode and press restore in iTunes. See how you get on. It should not hang at 20%.

1) Turn off all your anti-virus software. That's been common problem on Windows machines in the past. The disrupt the communications.

2) You have a hardware fault :( If it consistently fails at the same stage and you have followed the other instructions exactly, then I'm afraid that's what is sounds like.

You could try eliminating your PC as the problem by using anyone else's. Just connect it to any machine with iTunes and press restore.

Thanks! I have turned off AV and Firewals, even uninstalled them. My own gut feeling is that its iPad - PC connectivity or some sort of connection issue, kinda like its trying to connect but can't but no error message (and associated button to stop the process) and so stuck but with no way out.

Not sure about Hardware fault, that would be very co-incidental as it was working perfectly before I 'trusted' Apple to pressed the update button. I suspect that the update failed as at that point PC would not have been configed properly, eg firewalls on, AV on, etc but after than and many times since I have switched off as much as I can.

I'll go down the TU route, however I have downloaded the latest firmware from the links provided in the sticky above, eg 4.3.5 and saved this to the PC.

Is there a simple way to load that version onto the iPad without all the kerfuffle that I've experienced so far?

OP
S

SixDegrees

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Ok,1st big issue.... I don't see my iPad in TU on the left hand side. Tried a different USB and the PC picked up on the device and installed drivers so I'm assuming that its connected. Closed TU, unplugged, plugged back in USB and opened TU but still no device.

Inital thoughts?

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You cant be in DFU mode till you restore. TU cant see a device in DFU mode. Follow my instructions above ;)

OP
S

SixDegrees

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You cant be in DFU mode till you restore. TU cant see a device in DFU mode. Follow my instructions above ;)

Not in DFU mode*. Just normal with the USB and iTunes image on screen. PC bings when iPad is connected. iTunes recognises the iPad and displays it in devices on the left side.

TU does not.

I have installed the latest via your link and have followed instructions to the letter. I do get the error that port 80 is not free but that I assume is a seperate issue to TU not 'seeing' the iPad, as I can simply clear port 80 when the time comes.

:)

* DFU is a bit tricky to get right so I haven't tried it since much earlier today before my 1st post.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hmmm so you are stuck in recovery. What happens if you exit recovery using the button in TU?

Last edited:
OP
S

SixDegrees

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Something's wrong with your PC set-up then. Never heard of iTunes seeing a Device but
TU not at the same time....

I'll try different PCs over the weekend. I'll try and install on my old mans PC and 2 mates have iPnone but don't know if they've ever used iTunes to update their phones OS.

Also, as per my inital post the diagnostic test states it can't detect an iPhone, iPod or iPad indicating there is nothing there.

Lastly, I did just put iPad into DFU mode just now and ran the iTunes restore. The progress got up to the 'R' on Restoring iPad software (25% ish) and then stops. Same place as when in normal mode.

iPadRestore-1.jpg

BTW, getting up to the 'R' is further than before.

Thanks for you help. I suspect when I get to see the device in TU I'll have 'resolved' whatever issue I'm having and restoring should be a bit eaiser!

Rgds

OP
S

SixDegrees

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Success!!!

iPad has been restored and updated to 4.3.5. It was a PC issue after all. I uninstalled all AV and Firewall software (turning it off doesn't seem to work), I cleared all USB drivers for all ports, I uninstalled iTunes. Did some PC tweaking and then reinstalled iTunes.

After that... well the restore worked, took its time and seemed to pause at some points and I thought it was hanging again!

Anyway, thanks for the advice and this forum, def full of top tech advice.

And damn PCs, full of dodgy software causing all sorts of issues. Pity I'm fairly well invested in PC software or I nip out and buy a Mac.

:)

Most reactions