What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad 1 Totally Fubared, HELP

stayin100

iPF Noob
Reaction score
First, Thanks in advance...

Heres what I've done in a nutshell.
Bought Ipad 1 on 3.2.2 and then used Itunes Shift+Restore and pointed it towards a 4.3.3.ipsw I downloaded. I had to have TU's server running in the back ground, and used Ireb to push the device into DFU mode. Update went fine and Itunes told me the device would reboot and I'd see it in a few. Well it came up as an ipad in recovery mode.

I did this over and over again to no avail. Then downloaded red snow and re did my upgrade, then used redsnow, I got to the picture on the ipad of the pineapple with installing bundles, and it froze for a few mins. So I pressed home and power to reboot the phone it and when right back into dfu mode.

So I then researched some more and figured out that I could use redsnow to boot tethered. I did this and finally I had my ipad back, momentarily that is. Upon powering off the device it went back into dfu mode. I re did this process over and over again and I couldn't get any different results. Last time I got the ipad up I went to itunes and tried to do a system restore to 4.3.5 through itunes and it gave me the same deal, went straight to dfu mode....

I got this ipad up at 2pm, its now 11, and ive been doing nothing but research and finally have resorted to asking for a helping hand. I have extensive knowledge of android devices but this is my first ios device owned. PLEASE tell me I dont have a brick.

Now when I do anything like restores or running red snow I get absolutely nothing on the screen of the ipad.

Last edited:

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well first, you do not have a brick.

Second, you can only upgrade to 4.3.5. Plug iPad into computer, open iTunes, and hit update. You don't need iReb to do anything.

Then, you will be on 4.3.5. But the jailbreak for 4.3.5 is tethered. So, sorry.

OP
S

stayin100

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would be 100% HAPPY with 4.3.5 at this point lol. But, Itunes will not do the update for me :( any clues? I just updated itunes and Im gonna give it another whirl, it has just been going through the process and then saying wait for device to reboot and it will pop up normally, and then it just says that its detected an ipad in recovery mode. Will report back.

EDIT

Got the 1600 error when trying to do restore to 4.3.5. If I use Ireb then open itunes it actually does the update to 4.3.5 then gives me the same thing about it rebooting, then reboots into dfu again. Also I am seeing NOTHING on the screen while iTunes is doing its thing.

Thank you for your help though, hope I can get this figured out, I'm stressin

Last edited:
OP
S

stayin100

iPF Noob
Reaction score
EDIT

Ran note pad as admin and cleared out all hosts from my host file , rebooted, opened itunes and hit restore and wala, it worked. Thank you SOO much bud you have been a great help!

now once I get the testicular fortitude built back up can i follow these instructions to downgrade to 4.3.3 and use jailbreakme.com to jail break the device?

[Moderator edit: Removed link to external site...]

Last edited by a moderator:

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'll answer your question with a question: Have you saved the SHSH blobs for iOS 4.3.3?

If yes, sure, you should be good to go. You can use various tutorials here to JB.

If no, then NO, you can't downgrade to 4.3.3 and will have to stay at 4.3.5 tethered jail break.

Marilyn

P.S. I've removed that external link to another site's how-to for two reasons. (1) We have our own how-tos and tutorials her in the Hacking section and (2) it's against forum rules to link to external sites. Please read the rules!

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just knew that you don't need ireb and all that to get stock software. iReb should only be used for installing custom firmwares. If you aren't installing a firmware from snowbreeze, you don't need it.

OP
S

stayin100

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry about the link.

I can't seem to find the shsh for 4.3.3 anywhere, or 3.2.2 locally. I did boot the ipad tethered to 4.3.3 and went to jailbreakme.com and installed cydia at one time last night, would there be a chance of the shsh being stored on their servers somewhere?

Last edited:

Merk13

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you have never been on 4.3.3 then apple isnt signing that any longer so I dont believe you have the ability to upgrade to it now.

OP
S

stayin100

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Would there be a possibility that Cydia would have the shsh? I booted tethered to 4.3.3 and used jailbreakme.com to jb the device last night, but it locked me out after a bout five mins.

Most reactions

Latest posts