What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help needed: An unknown error occurred (-1) while restoring IPAD 3

ChrisKw

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello all

Im new IPAD user and I have really big problem... (really desparetly need your help! :( )

I’ve got a iPad3 (New IPAD) 32 GB WiFi + Celluar.
Yesterday I've decided to restore my iPad because day before started to reboot after 10 min of working... and finally the process ended with an: "iTunes was unable to restore this iPad. Unknown Error (-1)." And now my iPad is stuck in recovery mode!!!

I've tried multiple times, also in DFU mode... Still the same error (-1).

I've tried to use recovery fix option on redsn0w, TinyUmbrella, iREB. It did not help. Maximum what I had is my iPad was entering “white apple mode†after clicking fix restore button. I've tried to restore IPAD using redsnow (Extras -> Even More -> Restore) I've set the newest IWPS from iTunes and and I've used Remote blobs to restore (IPAD is in Soft DFU Mode)... and finally restoring proces stops at "Updateing baseband", and recovery mode... :(

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
OP
C

ChrisKw

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've tried this method today a few times and unfortunately nothing has changed. I've done everything step by step with newest software and firmware. Ipad is still in recovery mode (of course, when I was restoring every time i had popup about error -1).

It's not a problem if I'll lose data and settings... I just want to have my Ipad working :/

I read somewhere that when I'll do a jailbreak it could help... is it true? (set in extras correct ipsw file and use option fix boot/restore)

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, no, a jail break wont help here - because you have to have the iPad running in order to jail break it (it can't be stuck in restore). And, once you fix this problem, you'll [most likely] be on iOS 6.1.3, which is not jail breakable.

Could we start from the beginning, please? What iOS version is on the iPad? Was it jail broke? What, exactly is showing on the iPad screen?

What happens if you (1) reboot your computer, (2) attach the iPad/connect to iTunes and (3) press the Restore button in iTunes?

From my reading about the -1 error code, Apple says "Attempt to restore your iOS device two more times. If the issue is still unresolved, the device may need service."

Unfortunately, if the tutorial by f4780y didn't help and the 3-step process didn't work - it may very well be time for you to make an appointment with the folks at the Genius Bar to have them take a look at it. Sorry.

Marilyn

OP
C

ChrisKw

iPF Noob
Reaction score
On the iPad is iOS 6.1.3 (two days ago working properly). iPad never was Jail broke. On the screen is iTunes logo with usb plug.

When I (1) reboot computer - iPad is waking up and it is shown in device manager as Apple working in recovery mode.
(2) attach the iPad / connect to iTunes - iTunes found iPad working in recovery mode. If you want to use it you need to restore.
(3) after pressing restore - it is from the begening:

- unpacking software
- checking iPad restore in Apple
- preparing iPad to restore
- waiting for the iPad
- preparing to restore iPad software
- checking iPad restoration
- restoring iPad software
- checking iPad software
- checking iPad restoration
- restoring iPad firmware

And now popup message: "You can not restore the iPad "iPad". An unknown error occurred (-1)"

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, that pretty much is it (from here). I've got nothing else. So, my remaining suggestion is to take it to the Apple Store, hand it to a Genius and see what they can make of it. You've done all you can.

Sorry to not be of better help.

Marilyn

OP
C

ChrisKw

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you very much for your help Marilyn. Thats a pity I can not fix it myself and tomorrow I'll go to Apple Store and we will see. I hope they'll fix it quick :)

Supercepot

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah, I pretty much bricked my iPad once (with IOS 6.1.2 and jailbroken) after hard reset it by accident.
Already tried to restore it using ipsw recovery file downloaded from the Internet (the size was a whooping 1GB) but iTunes failed to recognize it.
So, I went to Apple Store and they've got this "magical" ipsw file that seemed to be able to low format the iPad (in any condition) and returned it back to new state (as if you've just bought it) for a fee.
It's IOS 6.1.3 and they certainly won't let you copy that file.
Then, I tried to sync it back and some apps failed to be installed back till now, but I guess that without that "magical" ipsw, I won't tinkering my iPad anymore.

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yeah, I pretty much bricked my iPad once (with IOS 6.1.2 and jailbroken) after hard reset it by accident.
Already tried to restore it using ipsw recovery file downloaded from the Internet (the size was a whooping 1GB) but iTunes failed to recognize it.
So, I went to Apple Store and they've got this "magical" ipsw file that seemed to be able to low format the iPad (in any condition) and returned it back to new state (as if you've just bought it) for a fee.
It's IOS 6.1.3 and they certainly won't let you copy that file.
Then, I tried to sync it back and some apps failed to be installed back till now, but I guess that without that "magical" ipsw, I won't tinkering my iPad anymore.

If your device is truly bricked, no level of software will be able to unbrick the device as it becomes a hardware issue, not a software issue.

Supercepot

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If your device is truly bricked, no level of software will be able to unbrick the device as it becomes a hardware issue, not a software issue.

AFAIK, bricked gadgets e.g. Phones, iPad, computers, PSPs, etc. are gadgets malfunctioned as a result of software-related issues by certain events, like updating the firmware, for instance. So the remedy must also be software-related as well.

Last edited:

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Software-related issues that in turn leads to hardware problems, i.e. bricking your device by forcing a baseband change on your iPhone will brick your device, which means you'll need a hardware replacement to fix.

Supercepot

iPF Noob
Reaction score
While some software-related issues may only be fixed by hardware solution (e.g. replace certain parts, chips or even replace the iPad altogether), software problem usually be able to be fixed by certain software (e.g. software that injects the boot software back to new state). Anyway, bricking your device means that your device simply fails to function in the normal way and must be fixed by certain technical method. Solution can either be hardware-based or software-based, depending on the cause of malfunctioning.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Bricking a device actually means to render the device inoperable permanently. As in, it becomes a brick because it can only serve as a paperweight (you know, a brick). No matter what - it cannot be fixed and cannot function as it was intended. Therefore, you abandon all hope of using the item again and throw it in the trash/recycle bin - and go buy a new one.

If you can fix the device to make it work, by whatever means - that means you did NOT brick it. Again, the term "brick," when applied in these situations, means the device is an expensive chunk of metal and electronics ... good only for the rubbish bin.

The term has been used improperly for so long that people think they have bricked their devices when they have merely messed it up and it needs a reboot or a software restore to fix.

Marilyn

Who just has to step in because semantics matters...!

Supercepot

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks to willerz and mickey for your enlightenment. If bricked iPad really means damaged iPad beyond repair, then I've mistakenly used the term. Some people might refer such condition as "soft-bricked", but perhaps "messed-up" would be more appropriate?

Most reactions