What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad (1) all applications crashing after about 30 sec - re-installed IOS 5 no success

Dpaul

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Has anyone experienced this problem - have a solution?
my iPad (1) has been working flawlessly for over six months.
Started to crash on all applications and returning to main home screen
Applications run for about 30 seconds then black out and home screen
Gets stuck - frozen on Settings application - but can return to home screen with home button
updated to IOS 5 with same resulting crashes
re-installed IOS 5 with same result

iPad 16 GB first generation 3G (but using on WiFi)
IOS 5.0.1

Thank you for any suggestions

best regards

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The iPad 1 has a very limited amount of RAM. So, big, graphical apps wont run.

I suggest clearing out your multitasking bar before running apps to try to make more RAM available.

OP
D

Dpaul

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The iPad is showing 6.7 Gigabytes available. Crashes after 30 seconds of using any application, not just multimedia.

I will try re-installing IOS 5 again.

Problem I am running into, though, is when I select 'restore' from iTunes, I get a message 'there are purchased items on your iPad that have not been transferred to your iTunes library. If you restore this iPad these items will be erased and you will have to purchase them again.'

I have had to purchase the Sling Media player again several times, and then had to have iTunes credit me back the $39.00. There must be a way to back up the applications successfully.

Thanks for all the advice - as of now all applications return me to home screen after about 60 seconds of operation.

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The iPad is showing 6.7 Gigabytes available. Crashes after 30 seconds of using any application, not just multimedia.

I will try re-installing IOS 5 again.

Problem I am running into, though, is when I select 'restore' from iTunes, I get a message 'there are purchased items on your iPad that have not been transferred to your iTunes library. If you restore this iPad these items will be erased and you will have to purchase them again.'

I have had to purchase the Sling Media player again several times, and then had to have iTunes credit me back the $39.00. There must be a way to back up the applications successfully.

Thanks for all the advice - as of now all applications return me to home screen after about 60 seconds of operation.

RAM is separate from your memory. The iPad 1 has around 256mb of ram. That is separate from what version you bought, 16gb, 32gb, 64gb.
And, you won't have to buy any apps again, Itunes remembers what you have bought.

A restore might fix the problem, but it is highly unlikely.

OP
D

Dpaul

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you for the explanation, Greywolf. Have we heard of anyone experiencing this consistent crashing of all applications and how they might have fixed it? Have problems related to thermal instability (hardware) been reported?

so far I have done the following without result:

terminated all 'running' programs
re-boot
restore from iTunes to ver 5 IOS (despite doing backup had to re-install and pay for application - Sling Media - iTunes did refund after I complained)

note: the instability had begun before I had initially updated to version 5 IOS. Updating to version 5 IOS made it more unstable - applications crash after about 30 seconds.

This has been the most amazing device over the last year - very disappointed that I haven't been able to find a remedy - and timing is not right to be replacing it as I would rather get iPad 3 when it becomes available.

Thanks to all for your assistance.

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you for the explanation, Greywolf. Have we heard of anyone experiencing this consistent crashing of all applications and how they might have fixed it? Have problems related to thermal instability (hardware) been reported?

so far I have done the following without result:

terminated all 'running' programs
re-boot
restore from iTunes to ver 5 IOS (despite doing backup had to re-install and pay for application - Sling Media - iTunes did refund after I complained)

note: the instability had begun before I had initially updated to version 5 IOS. Updating to version 5 IOS made it more unstable - applications crash after about 30 seconds.

This has been the most amazing device over the last year - very disappointed that I haven't been able to find a remedy - and timing is not right to be replacing it as I would rather get iPad 3 when it becomes available.

Thanks to all for your assistance.

If you were having thermal problems, you would definitely feel it on the back of the ipad.

fxc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Dpaul,
You are not alone.

First, Safari started crashing a week or so ago. I'd link to a site, get most of the way through th progress bar, and black-o! The app dies. When I reopen the app, I'm returned to the previous page. The linked page is not in history.

Today, escalation. My NYTimes crossword app will not start at all. No multiple-tasking is competing for memory, as all other apps had been closed.

This is the iPad one, IOS 4 (up to date). Of note: Two days ago I set up a new Mac Mini, and I enable iCloud. (I then realized it requires iOS 5 on my devices.)

Can't say if this is the same behavior you're experiencing, but the annoyance is on par.

-fx

OP
D

Dpaul

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well - OK - fixed it - but still do not know the cause of the problem.

I did a IOS restore as a completely new iPad rather than as same iPad. Meant I lost a lot of links that were organized in folders etc but was able to re- install purchased applications separately through iTunes after the restore.

OP
D

Dpaul

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well - OK - fixed it - but still do not know the cause of the problem.

I did a IOS restore as a completely new iPad rather than as same iPad. Meant I lost a lot of links that were organized in folders etc but was able to re- install purchased applications separately through iTunes after the restore.

Update - four days of blissful use then same problem recurs - all applications induce a crash to home screen after about 60-90 seconds.

On advice from my Apple corporate representative went to local Apple 'genius bar'.

They were unable to provide any indication on how the problem might be rectified or what might be causing it.

Let's note that the iPad was crashing even after I had done a restore to factory settings, with only native embedded applications running - so can't be related to application memory issues bless we have a bigger design problem.

Much to their credit - I was very impressed when they offered to replace the iPad on the spot at no cost to me even though I was 30 days out of warranty. Amazing customer service!

So now I really am back in business.

Most reactions