What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crashing iPad 2 -- could it be newer apps on older iOS?

drjuliebug

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a three-year-old iPad 2. I'm still running iOS 7 on it.

I've noticed a lot of app crashes lately, and they happen while using a wide variety of apps. What happens is that there's suddenly a clicking sound like the camera is being activated, and then the screen goes dark. When I press the home button, sometimes it goes to the home screen, sometimes successfully back to the app, and sometimes into a cycle of app-crash-app until I give up and reboot.

Could this be the result of running automatically updated apps (re-optimized for iOS 8) on an older iOS? It seems to happen a lot, for example, with a game that came out after iOS 8 did. But it's not especially predictable. I can't reliably relate it to a single app or action.

Or, is this more likely to be a hardware problem? My iPad 2 has been well cared for, but of course it is a few years old.

Agent1191

iPF Novice
Reaction score

I've noticed a lot of app crashes lately, and they happen while using a wide variety of apps. What happens is that there's suddenly a clicking sound like the camera is being activated, and then the screen goes dark. When I press the home button, sometimes it goes to the home screen, sometimes successfully back to the app, and sometimes into a cycle of app-crash-app until I give up and reboot.

Could this be the result of running automatically updated apps (re-optimized for iOS 8) on an older iOS? It seems to happen a lot, for example, with a game that came out after iOS 8 did. But it's not especially predictable. I can't reliably relate it to a single app or action.

Or, is this more likely to be a hardware problem? My iPad 2 has been well cared for, but of course it is a few years old.
Did you try the reset? Hold down the Power off button and the Home button at the same time till it goes off and reboots itself

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

It's likely the result of the iPad 2 only having 512MB of RAM, which can be overtaxed when you're running apps requiring a lot of processing power to run smoothly.

If you go to Settings>Privacy>Diagnostics & Usage>Diagnostic And Usage Data right after the next app crash you can check the crash report to see if it was because of low memory.

If your crashes are the result of insufficient available RAM there's not much you can do. What you can do is force close all apps but the ones you're using at the time. It might free up enough RAM to enable the apps to run. You could also update your iOS which might enable apps optimized for iOS 8 to run better.

Mbagni

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,
I have the same model, IOS 8.1.2 jailbroken. I have upgraded from iOS 6 and I too find that the available memory has drastically reduced.
Scifan57 mentions an issue due to the available memory being "only" 512 MB. Why? Do the newer models come with a bigger RAM?
Thanks in advance.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi,
I have the same model, IOS 8.1.2 jailbroken. I have upgraded from iOS 6 and I too find that the available memory has drastically reduced.
Scifan57 mentions an issue due to the available memory being "only" 512 MB. Why? Do the newer models come with a bigger RAM?
Thanks in advance.
iPad 3, 4, Air, mini 2 and mini 3 have 1 GB, iPad Air 2 has 2 GB of RAM.

Mbagni

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Now I see and understand!

Thanks for the comprehensive reply that unveiled an insider's information that is totally missing in the Apple web site regarding the tech specs of the currently supported platforms (I honestly thought that all the iPad had the same amount of RAM!)

So I am left with the Cinderella of the iPad platforms and I understand that Apple has very few interest in developing an operative system that fits in my ridicule 512 MB. In fact after the upgrade I started immediately to see that iCabMobile started to refresh from scratch every web page contained in different tabs; whenever I switched from one application to another it took longer time to setup the screen and it was like starting the application from scratch. The application Cleaner shows less than 10 MB of memory available (with iOS 6 it showed 150 or more) and so on.

At the end of June I asked to this forum if there were any drawbacks passing from 6.x to 7.x and one user told me that on his iPad 3 the iOS 7 worked fine. He forgot to tell me that he had twice my RAM!

Sincerely I expected a more technical analysis from the gurus that rule this forum regarding the pros and cons of every new release of the iOS but I noticed that most of the attention is devoted to the changes of the look-and-feel than to the more substantial issues that run behind the scenes.

I feel betrayed by Apple!

If only I could go back to iOS 6!!

Most reactions

Latest posts