What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

IOS5 Jailbreak Strategy Guide

verbalj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think I'm going to bite the bullet and upgrade to 5.0.1 over the weekend. I don't want to chance missing my opportunity. I'm going to miss the jailbreak. Someone needs to hold my hand while i do it lol.

Gzoladz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You willbe entertained with the new 5.0.1 featurs for a while, hopefully he jb will follow soon.

1million

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I feel it's so close. Now I'm not regretting missing the 4.3.3 JB because I like the features of 5.0.1.

Gzoladz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
5.0.1 is very good. I love the tasks app and the split keyboard but I am looking forward to enhance the notifications with jb tweaks.

verbalj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Gzoladz said:
5.0.1 is very good. I love the tasks app and the split keyboard but I am looking forward to enhance the notifications with jb tweaks.

The split keyboard is really enticing for me. Is the tasks app similar to reminders on the iPhone? Don't even recall hearing that name.

Gzoladz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry, reminders is the name. It is the same app.

Retiredjack

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you Kerean and Andrewak I was able to fix the iBooks configuration error after upgrading my iPad 1 to 5.0.1 and redsnow JB (on spite of the moderators heavy editing).
Question? Why is it that iBooks is the ONLY app I have problems with after an upgrade+JB?
I think I will stop buying books from Apple and use Amazon's Kindle just in case one day iBooks will not work after a JB.

Thanks for this great forum I always (up to now) find the answer I am lokking for and more.

TheRambler

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
theramblersramblings.blogspot.co.uk
I'm glad your problem is now sorted Retiredjack, but in answer to one of your points, editing is only done when a post has broken the rules, links to other sites are not allowed on this forum.
I hope you can understand that by following the rules we all agreed too when signing up to this site, it makes for a more pleasurable learning experience.

andrewak

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Retiredjack said:
Question? Why is it that iBooks is the ONLY app I have problems with after an upgrade+JB?
I think I will stop buying books from Apple and use Amazon's Kindle just in case one day iBooks will not work after a JB.
I heard iBooks is not the only app, I've read that iTunes (one on iPad) have problems too. I think it's because of direct appStore access. But as if I do not use appStore from iTunes dew to Apple 'by country' restrictions, my iTunes do not have this problems. There was some comments about third Apple app, but I don't use it and so do not remember it's name :)

andrewak

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The iBooks issue fixed in the last redsn0w beta4. Info from dev-team blog.

Wookiee2cu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you don't feel like re-jailbreaking your device Corona has been updated in Cydia so you can just install that as another option.

felixdd

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Question:

I have 2 ipads -- mine and my finacee's. Mine's already on 5.0.1 waiting for JB. My fiancee's is on 4.3.3 JB'd.
Did a ton of reading. Backed up 5.0.1 blob for her device with TinyUmbrella in case I need to update after the window is gone, but now I realize that's useless.
So now I'm downloading 5.0.1 IPSW for storage.

Now the question:

There are a handful of JB'd apps on her ipad, which I've backed up onto her iTunes. She's pretty happy with the way her ipad is now and wouldn't care about losing JB status. IF I were to upgrade to 5.0.1, and do a restore, will she get her apps back? She'll kill me if I upgrade and when she comes home I tell her, sorry I upgraded, but I can't restore your apps until pod2g releases JB. Conversely, she won't care if she comes back to a 5.0.1 unJB'd iPad that still has her old apps installed.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi, and welcome to the forum. Good to "see" you.

Question: There are a handful of JB'd apps on her ipad, which I've backed up onto her iTunes.

Sorry, but you must be mistaken. iTunes doesn't backup jail break tweaks and apps from Cydia. It only backs up the stock stuff you get from the App Store. So, those JB'd apps you talk of are not saved...

She's pretty happy with the way her ipad is now and wouldn't care about losing JB status. IF I were to upgrade to 5.0.1, and do a restore, will she get her apps back? She'll kill me if I upgrade and when she comes home I tell her, sorry I upgraded, but I can't restore your apps until pod2g releases JB. Conversely, she won't care if she comes back to a 5.0.1 unJB'd iPad that still has her old apps installed.

No, a stock iPad cannot run jail broken apps and tweaks. You will have to wait until the new jailbreak comes out. Sorry. Or - the good news is that once you've bought stuff from Cydia, it's like the App Store in that you can go back and re-download them. So, after the new jail break is released, you can just put them back on from Cydia.

Marilyn

MACloud

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Question:

I am a bit confused... running IPad 2 with 4.3.5 do I have to install os 5.0.1 now to jailbreak it or is it ok just have os 5.0.1 downloadet on my pc and ready to install.
Can that give problems and why?

(Hope this is right place to ask this)

Thanks and regards MACloud

RudyL90

iPF Noob
Reaction score
MACloud said:
Question:

I am a bit confused... running IPad 2 with 4.3.5 do I have to install os 5.0.1 now to jailbreak it or is it ok just have os 5.0.1 downloadet on my pc and ready to install.
Can that give problems and why?

(Hope this is right place to ask this)

Thanks and regards MACloud

You should upgrade now. If Apple stops signing the iOS 5.0.1 firmware you won't be able to upgrade!
It doesn't matter if you have the firmware downloaded to your PC or not, if Apple stopped signing... No way to upgrade to 5.0.1 then.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts