What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

IOS 6 won't let me update "apps"

lydiamight

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am a UK user and I have updated my ipad 2 to IOS 6 and everything seems fine other than when I try to update apps I get the message "Your account is not valid for use in the US store. You must switch to the UK store before purchasing"

Can anyone please tell me how I do this?

Thanks in advance

OP
L

lydiamight

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Cracked it---I made sure that the itunes page was set to the UK (the flag in the bottom left of the page) and then did a reset on my Ipad 2 (having made sure everything was backed up.)

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That is great to hear. Thank you for letting us know how you did it as this will hopefully help others with the same problem.

The Archangel

davidinvirginia

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the same problem. After downloading iOS 6 all seemed to go smoothly. Now, I have app updates waiting and I can't log in to the App Store from my iPad (new). I now have 7 updates waiting and when I try to log in, I get the message "either user name or password are incorrect." Both are correct. There are all sorts of suggestions online and I have tried a couple but nothing changes. One suggestion is to do a system restore. I have not done that before, so backed up my iPad in iTunes, but haven't done the restore. Will this do it? Or has anyone come up with something else? Thanks.

davidinvirginia

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the same problem. After downloading iOS 6 all seemed to go smoothly. Now, I have app updates waiting and I can't log in to the App Store from my iPad (new). I now have 7 updates waiting and when I try to log in, I get the message "either username or password is incorrect." Both are correct. There are all sorts of suggestions online and I have tried a couple but nothing changes. One suggestion is to do a system restore. I have not done that before, so backed up my iPad in iTunes, but haven't done the restore. Will this do it? Or has anyone come up with something else? Thanks.

Suggested on an Apple forum to download all app updates from iTunes then sync your iPad. Did that (found 57 to be updated, not 7 as my iPad showed). After about 3 hrs (I have DSL), they were completed and I synced the iPad and the updates are now gone from the App Store icon on the iPad. It was also suggested to then back up the iPad and do a system restore. Haven't done that yet. Will wait to see if any other problems occur.

Update: Still can't login to iTunes from my iPad "either username of password is incorrect"

Last edited:

davidinvirginia

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Suggested on an Apple forum to download all app updates from iTunes then sync your iPad. Did that (found 57 to be updated, not 7 as my iPad showed). After about 3 hrs (I have DSL), they were completed and I synced the iPad and the updates are now gone from the App Store icon on the iPad. It was also suggested to then back up the iPad and do a system restore. Haven't done that yet. Will wait to see if any other problems occur.

Update: Still can't login to iTunes from my iPad "either username of password is incorrect"

Update again: After experiencing this for too many times, I decided to check in Keychain (place on the Mac where you can store passwords for you PC folks), and low and behold, my password for iTunes had a capital letter in it. My iTunes on my iPad stores the password, so I hadn't entered it since I set it up. Made the correction and voila, I'm in. It is working ok since this.

Chalk another one up for user error. Thanks for the suggestions and my sympathies to IT support people everywhere.

richard4954

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Same problem for me and its driving me bonkers. I went to the Apple shop in Cardiff, the nice man reset all my passwords for my three different mail addresses. He then put them all on my Notes Pad so I couldn't forget them. Bingo? No chance, I get home try to update my apps and it won't recognise my password. When I try to retrieve it the system won't even recognise my DOB. I dumped my main e mail address 2 years ago when I closed my business but apparently you can NEVER dump your registered address so it tries to send my reset instructions to an old address that no longer exists. I would normally think its me being stupid but even the expert at the shop took two hours to supposedly fix it - which he clearly didn't. HELP!!

richard4954

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I still can't get to update my Apps (23 to update). The man in Cardiff Apple store told me I cannot change my original id even though I've shut the company down and the e mail address don longer exists. So, when I go to "Update All" it asks for my password for an address that does not exist. When I go to security questions the bloody thing won't even recognise my DOB! When I select e mail option it tells me it's sent a mail but this has clearly gone to an address that doesn't exist.
Conclusion -Apple are **** as are their shop assistants in Cardiff.

cwinter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the same issue since today. Unable to download any updates for certain apps. I can download a few random free apps but for some reason not Facebook (and a random game I have). If I delete Facebook, I cannot reinstall it.

Here is what I have done:

- Restarted iPad numerous times.
- Synced with iTunes and restored Facebook. Still cannot download update.
- Tried downloading update through iTunes but unsuccessful. Error 11111 - An unknown error has occured.
- Signed out of iTunes store and back in (both on PC and on iPad). Still same issue.

What is going on? I do not believe this to be tied to iOS 6.0.1, since I'm confident I was able to update app after the switch to 6.0.1.

Update: after some testing, I can say that anything I have downloaded before I cannot download (or update) again. If I download a new app and delete it, it will not let me install it again. Just briefly starts and then immediately quits without error. Only from iTunes on PC does it show me the 11111 error.

Last edited:

richard4954

iPF Noob
Reaction score
cwinter said:
I have the same issue since today. Unable to download any updates for certain apps. I can download a few random free apps but for some reason not Facebook (and a random game I have). If I delete Facebook, I cannot reinstall it.

Here is what I have done:

- Restarted iPad numerous times.
- Synced with iTunes and restored Facebook. Still cannot download update.
- Tried downloading update through iTunes but unsuccessful. Error 11111 - An unknown error has occured.
- Signed out of iTunes store and back in (both on PC and on iPad). Still same issue.

What is going on? I do not believe this to be tied to iOS 6.0.1, since I'm confident I was able to update app after the switch to 6.0.1.

Update: after some testing, I can say that anything I have downloaded before I cannot download (or update) again. If I download a new app and delete it, it will not let me install it again. Just briefly starts and then immediately quits without error. Only from iTunes on PC does it show me the 11111 error.

Well I'm now happy and baffled as after about an hour of aimless faffing about I've managed to get the issue sorted and all updates delivered. The problem is I have no idea how/why. I shut down and restarted several times and managed to get access using my gmail rather than my usual mail addresses. No doubt the issue will return. I went back to the shop in Cardiff only to find it bulging with people, Apple must be making a fortune or vey busy with grumpy old men like me -probably both.

cwinter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm happy to report that after weeding through threads on the Apple Forum I found a simple solution to my issue. Again, what I see is that I hit "update" on an app. For a split-second the progress bar appears on the app icon and the Internet activity "wheel" spins at the top and then the bar disappears and the app does not update with the Internet activity "wheel" gone. If I want to update using iTunes on the PC, I get the 11111 unknown error.

One user on the Apple forum suggested just hitting update all over and over again on the iPad and after about 20 tries it finally did start updating all apps. Very odd but it worked. Clearly an issue on Apple's side and I guess they will eventually resolve it.

So if you have the same symptoms as mine (different from what the OP experienced though), just keep hitting update all for a while and eventually it might work. Good luck!

cwinter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Everything is back to normal again for me. Some issue with the app store I'm sure that needed resolving.

Sometimes, it just doesn't work. ;)

Most reactions