What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iOS 5 announced!

Sonicrobby

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I for one am really excited about the imessage, and the whole pc free and wireless syncing. The twitter integration might actually be a nuisance for those who do not use twitter, like myself. I'm one of those people where if I don't use it, I dont need it. So this also applies to the newsstand. A very interesting thing I found was the keyboard splitting.

I just love how they are finally moving their "post pc devices" to actually being post pc devices. The only thing now is more storage for us video hogs who have half a terrabite of data and also being able to view any video on any site thru safari (yes flash...) without having to get a separate app or use a different browser to view them (skyfire). But overall I'm pleased with the news on iOS 5. What about you?

What are you most looking forward to? What do you not like about the update? Anything you just find interesting?

Thphilli

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I find it interesting that Steve Jobs called 2011 the "year of the copycats". He wasn't kidding. He copied Androids notifications. He copied Blackberry's BBM. He copied HP's WebOS multitasking. He copied the split keyboard from Microsoft.

Everyone thought he meant that 2011 was the year people were copying Apple, but instead its the year Apple copies everyone else's ideas and passes them off as "revolutionary".

Reaction score
I'm baffled that the VP said the Android like updates were to make it more intuitive. Most folks I know that prefer Apple over Android state that Android isn't intuitive enough.
I'm also baffled that he said the split keyboard was to make it more "iPhone like" .I was hoping the Ipad was/is going to go in its own direction. To make it mimic an iPod or iPhone is holding the whole concept and usability back. The Ipad is so close to being a desktop replacement I'm just disappointed they aren't working on coffin nails for desktops. I'm not meaning Flash but I do mean better multi task and, oh my,a back button so when I tap a link in my email I don't have to close Safari (Apple browser)and reopen my email app (Apple email) type of thing.

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from an Incredible phone

GenerationX

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thphilli said:
I find it interesting that Steve Jobs called 2011 the "year of the copycats". He wasn't kidding. He copied Androids notifications. He copied Blackberry's BBM. He copied HP's WebOS multitasking. He copied the split keyboard from Microsoft.

Everyone thought he meant that 2011 was the year people were copying Apple, but instead its the year Apple copies everyone else's ideas and passes them off as "revolutionary".

It's not androids notifications. They hired the guy who made mobile notifier and used his idea. It's not like bbm. It's basically the iPhones messaging system for the rest of the devices. I'm pretty sure iOS multitasking doesn't even compare to web os.

USBill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No question that the notifications were inspired by Android.The jailbreak community promoted improved notifications as such. And the messaging app is clearly patterned after BBM.

Why pretend they aren't? Apple borrowed from the best.

I find it interesting that people pretend that all these companies don't cannibalize each others ideas. Heck Microsoft makes more money on HTC Android sales than they do on Windows Phones, because HTC "borrowed" Microsoft ideas and lost the lawsuit.

Why can we just be happy that our devices are improving?

Last edited:

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I hope they continue to be inspired by the best features on any platform and innovate as well. It's no secret that the best ideas end up in the best products regardless of where they originated.

HKWrite12

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I mean it's 17th century marketing to take another mans pride, change the color and pass it off as your own. When they authorize passcode lock in iOS then well know who stole the cheese. I do agree that apple hasn't done much revolutionizing with iOS but I'm excited still for the convience that the merging of these mobile os's offers.

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

Don't need twitter. Don't read newspapers or magazines. "reader" seems like something I might use on a term paper. Reminders are acquiescing ongoing issue with location problems. Keyboard seems complicated. Messaging is total copying. If I'm going to have to be on wifi or 3G I might as well text them using text free or some similar app if I'm on my wifi only iPad 2 and they're on they're wifi only iPod touch. O wait, I'll just text them from my iPhone 5 to their mobile device of their choice. Camera: use it only when I am with my cousins: twice a season.

I guess I'll search for the other 190 changes too.

Last edited:

Thphilli

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I hope they continue to be inspired by the best features on any platform and innovate as well. It's no secret that the best ideas end up in the best products regardless of where they originated.

I completely agree. I just find it a little disingenuous that Apple is suing Samsung for doing just that, and then on top of that lawsuit, copying Touchwiz's lockscreen. For those that don't know, Touchwiz is Samsungs skin that runs on top of Android. What they are copying is the ability to swipe directly into an app from the lockscreen, ie SMS to read and reply to a text or the Phone app to see a missed call.

Heaviside

iPF Novice
Reaction score
All sorts of "jiggery pokery," but nothing as practical as---let us say---user defined email files or a flash reader! So what's all the hoopla about?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Actually, the ability to use rich text, create folders, and create calendars were mentioned in passing. Mail, Calendars, Contacts still won't be Outlook, but they are going to get better.

Not going to rehash Flash. That horse is beyond dead as a subject. The last time it was kicked the flies killed the thread before it could gasp out it's last will and testament.

Most reactions

Latest posts