What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iOS 4.4.2 Released for Apple TV2

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple just released iOS 4.4.2 for the Apple TV2. Folks that couldn't upgrade from v4.3 to v4.4 or v 4.4.1 should be able to upgrade now

Features:
  • Photo Stream: View photos taken on your iOS device and pushed to your Photo Stream in iCloud.
  • AirPlay Mirroring: Wirelessly stream what's on your iPhone 4S or iPad 2 screen to our HDTV.
  • National Hockey League: Watch live games, view highlights, scores, and more.
  • Wall Street Journal: Watch up-to-date news, business commentary, and financial analysis from leading experts.
  • New Slideshow themes: Enjoy your photos on your HDTV with new slideshow themes: Photo Wall, Flip-up, and Shifting Tiles.
  • Netflix: Support for subtitles when available.
I'm upgrading my ATV2 from v4.3 now...upgrade says it will take about 12 minutes. I'll report back when it's finished.

EDIT: Noted this on Apple's Website:

Apple TV devices with software version 4.4 and 4.4.1 have an issue with updating software to later versions. The recommended way to resolve this is go to Settings -> General -> Reset -> Reset All Settings, prior to updating. Note: If you apply the software update without resetting all settings first, the updater will reset the settings for you.

Once the Apple TV has been reset, you can then successfully update to the latest software by going to Settings -> General -> Update Software.

We recognize that this is an inconvenience and apologize.

I didn't do anything but got to Settings > General > Upgrade and it worked fine, but again I'm moving from v4.3 to v4.4.2.

Source: Apple TV (2nd generation): Apple TV software version 4.4.2

Last edited:
OP
R

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple TV2 4.4.2 upgrade a success! It took about 20 minutes or so, start to finish. Everything looks to be working normally.

I watched a couple of new movie previews - HD looks quite good. Downloaded a couple of free TV episodes (Grimm). Both in HD and both looked very sharp and played perfectly.

I took a look at the new WSJ "channel". I'm not a big WSJ fan, but it looked okay. Production values were mediocre (especially the audio on the coverage of the new Steve Jobs biography) and the video froze momentarily once, but I suspect that's not Apple's fault.

Otherwise, it's working as promised!

P1010110.JPG

Last edited:

rodder

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the info!!!! I'll go back to the retailer tomorrow to get my apple TV back and try to update again!!!
Eddy

OP
R

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the info!!!! I'll go back to the retailer tomorrow to get my apple TV back and try to update again!!!
Eddy
Sounds good, let us know how it goes.

For future reference I've never seen Apple not come through as promised. Sometimes it doesn't go perfectly and it takes a short while before things are set right. Plus they are usually mum about things until they are released, but you shouldn't worry that whatever hardware or software you buy won't work...that's not how Apple does business.

Enjoy!

rodder

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The apple TV was already sent back to Apple! They just replaced it, I received a new one today, but still with 4.3 software!!!!! Came home and the update went perfect, mirroring is just great!!!!! So If I had just waited a couple of extra days then they wouldn't have to replace it. So hats off to Apple for the service they give.
I think the next thing I buy from Apple will be an iPhone 4S when it arrives here in Belgium on the 28th of October.

Eddy

OP
R

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The apple TV was already sent back to Apple! They just replaced it, I received a new one today, but still with 4.3 software!!!!! Came home and the update went perfect, mirroring is just great!!!!! So If I had just waited a couple of extra days then they wouldn't have to replace it. So hats off to Apple for the service they give.
I think the next thing I buy from Apple will be an iPhone 4S when it arrives here in Belgium on the 28th of October.

Eddy
Glad to hear that things worked out. The iPad and iPhone are often the "gateway drugs" that bring folks into the Apple fold. Rare is the person that ever leaves (thinking of the lyrics to Hotel California). ;)

Enjoy!

K1W1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I turned my Apple TV on this morning and it said there was an update so I let it go ahead and do whatever it did. It still shows v4.4 as the new firmware so I'm not sure what it actually did (I already had v4.4 loaded)

OP
R

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I turned my Apple TV on this morning and it said there was an update so I let it go ahead and do whatever it did. It still shows v4.4 as the new firmware so I'm not sure what it actually did (I already had v4.4 loaded)
You probably had v4.4 or v4.4.1. It should have updated to v4.4.2 which took care of a few bugs.

BTW, how about those World Champion All Blacks?! (Although I spent most of the time shouting at the TV during the final!)

K1W1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You probably had v4.4 or v4.4.1. It should have updated to v4.4.2 which took care of a few bugs.

BTW, how about those World Champion All Blacks?! (Although I spent most of the time shouting at the TV during the final!)

I thought that after the update it would show 4.4.x but it didn't. I meant to have a look this afternoon but forgot.
I held my breath for the last 10 minutes, I see a repeat of South Africa happening with a French drop goal with 30 seconds to go. I'm glad the good French team turned up but I wish the good All Black one had as well.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
SweetPoison said:
Next, you will tell me we have to hook that puppy up to iTunes.

Gab. I know we don't. Please tell me we don't...

It has iTunes movies on board along with other stuff. Like everything Apple it uses your Apple ID to set itself up but you can stream from lots of Apps in your iPad or computer.......I know you may have heard this somewhere before but "it just works"!

The Archangel

Most reactions