What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iOS 4.2 New Mail

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK, so we all already know that print doesn't work....lame.

But does anyone know what the button where the trash used to be does?? It's also in gmail now. I click it and the email goes away, but its not in the trash! I did a search for it and its there somewhere. Is this an archive button for gmail only? There is no tooltip on tap and hold so I have no idea what it's supposed to be doing.

Juneau

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Any way you can post a picture because I have a trash icon on my mail program, and I don't remember it being different from before.

j0yful

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i was wondering of the same thing.

now, this mail made it more complicated i think. last time when you hit "edit" you just have two options for gmail. and the "delete" option is there. this time we have to hit "edit" then tap the mails , hit on "move to " folders then choose "trash". :(

OP
G

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
photo.jpeg

Juneau

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i was wondering of the same thing.

now, this mail made it more complicated i think. last time when you hit "edit" you just have two options for gmail. and the "delete" option is there. this time we have to hit "edit" then tap the mails , hit on "move to " folders then choose "trash". :(

I am running 4.2, I have a wifi only (if that matters), and when I hit edit and select an email I have delete and move as options. I also still have the trashcan icon in the top bar as I did before, not what is pictured above.

j0yful

iPF Noob
Reaction score
same here wifi only and running 4.2 beta. cant find that trash icon at the top.

Juneau

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is quite odd. I am running 4.2 (8C5091e). I have the combined inbox, and weather I am in the combined inbox or individual inboxes I have the trash icon.

I do have gmail set up as an exchange e-mail if that makes a difference, but the way the original post reads it is in both.

Are you all running a different version?

OP
G

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Like I said I think it's because it's a gmail account. This just started appearing in the iPad version of gmail web app:

photo.jpg

rjames99

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I too have a new icon that replaced the trash. I only use gmail. I hate undocumented changes. No idea where the 4-5 emails went that disappeared when I touched it.

BrennB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can find the regular trash by clicking on the account instead of the inbox
82e25424.png

Then select "all mail"
ad8f19ed.png

tap50

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Why don't I have the archive button? I updated my iPad and my wife's iPad yesterday. We both have Gmail accounts configured for e-mail. She has the ARCHIVE button and I still have the DELETE button? Is there something on the GMail site that you have to configure to get the archive button?

Todd

Anicotra

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As stated by Brenb above, Trash button in "All Mail" and Archive button in "Inbox", Why the difference? No problem with Archiving, but maybe they should have both options.

Also, where do the emails go when you hit the "Archive" button? There is no Archive folder, but they go somewhere.

Also, losing the delete option when selection multiple emails in the inbox and having to "Move" instead of "Delete" is kind of a PITA.

I wonder what prompted these changes?

tap50

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As stated by Brenb above, Trash button in "All Mail" and Archive button in "Inbox", Why the difference? No problem with Archiving, but maybe they should have both options.

Also, where do the emails go when you hit the "Archive" button? There is no Archive folder, but they go somewhere.

Also, losing the delete option when selection multiple emails in the inbox and having to "Move" instead of "Delete" is kind of a PITA.

I wonder what prompted these changes?

I don't have the ARCHIVE button in any folder.

Does it matter if you setup GMail initially by using the GMAIL option or the EXCHANGE option? I used the GMail option when I set it up. I see all of my GMail folders and in settigns it says that it's an EXCHANGE SERVER.

Todd

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts