What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why does my mail app look like this?

GoPackGo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I sound like a total iPad noob (and I am, I got it yesterday :D), but in all of the videos and stuff I've seen, the mail app is supposed to have two columns with a scrollable inbox. Mine doesn't do that. Instead, it looks like this (screenshot attached). Even when I kill the app and reopen it, it opens on a message and when I press "inbox", it comes up as a pop-up.

Also, is the easiest way to delete a message really to go to inbox > edit > move > trash?

My email is Gmail by the way.

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    58.2 KB · Views: 490
OP
GoPackGo

GoPackGo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have you tried turning the iPad to landscape? :)

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF
If I was home, I would. But if that solves the problem.... oi. I'm an idiot! :(

Does that also fix the delete issue too, or is that really how you have to delete emails?

I'm such a noob. Thanks for the help... when I get home I'll see if it looks different on landscape... it probably does, lol.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Have you tried turning the iPad to landscape? :)

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF
If I was home, I would. But if that solves the problem.... oi. I'm an idiot! :(

Does that also fix the delete issue too, or is that really how you have to delete emails?

I'm such a noob. Thanks for the help... when I get home I'll see if it looks different on landscape... it probably does, lol.

Yes, if you turn the device sideways you will get the split screen display. This is a common interface convention for any app which support it, as in general the panels would be too restricted if it split in portrait, although more recent apps have better solutions to this... The new IOS5 mail app is much slicker allowing you to flick that panel in and out of the side when in portrait. Also, there is a jailbreak tweak called "SplitMail" which will split the screen in portrait if that's what you really want...

And to delete, press edit, then "tick" all the mails you want to delete and press the big delete key at the bottom of the list.

OP
GoPackGo

GoPackGo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, if you turn the device sideways you will get the split screen display. This is a common interface convention for any app which support it, as in general the panels would be too restricted if it split in portrait, although more recent apps have better solutions to this... The new IOS5 mail app is much slicker allowing you to flick that panel in and out of the side when in portrait. Also, there is a jailbreak tweak called "SplitMail" which will split the screen in portrait if that's what you really want...

And to delete, press edit, then "tick" all the mails you want to delete and press the big delete key at the bottom of the list.
Sweet, okay. Thanks. I suppose it would look kind of weird in portrait. Look forward to the iOS5 mail app.

I guess I just can't see the delete key. I just see a "move" and an "archive" at the bottom. But that's in portrait. Going to try it in landscape when I get home later. Thanks! :ipad-front:

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ahh, that could be to do with the type of mail. Is it a an exchange server?

You may be able to configure it in Mail settings so that it will use the iPad trash, and then you will get the delete. It sounds as though you are working on the mail server, and so you have to use the "move" method. Depending on your circumstances you may be able to change this...

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can also delete emails by swiping your finger left to right on the email in the left hand pane then pressing the delete button which magically appears.

The Archangel

OP
GoPackGo

GoPackGo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I tried swiping, but I guess I was in portrait... delete never came up... but I'll try it in landscape...

I use a Gmail account.. so I don't know. I don't know what an exchange server is. :confused:

Most reactions

Latest posts