What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Internet Connectivity

Louisg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I travel quite a bit, some hotels only offer wired internet. Does anyone out there know how to connect to wired internet service?:mad:

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
wired connection to your iPad? You cant.

You will need to pick up a cheap wifi router or access point. Connect the wire in the hotel to the wireless router or access point and you can then sure the net on your iPad wirelessly.

If your worried about security while using the hotel network, there are additional steps you can take but you will be paying a little more. An example would be two buy two things. The first being that wireless access point to take with you on your trips. The second would be to upgrade your home router to one that has a buit in VPN server.

Doing this will allow you to use the hotels internet securely knowing that all traffic you send over the hotels network is encrypted by entering your home VPN settings into the iPad or Laptop your using.

Last edited:

monkeyboy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
some hotel Internet connections are not simple DHCP "plug'n'play" but require punching in all the IP bits needed (address, DNS, router/gateway, etc). So you may end up with a funky situation where you'd have to Wifi into the router with the iPad and use it to program the router with the needed parameters... probably still possible without a laptop but may get a little challenging for some... And at least it means that if you plan on doing this, you should practice getting into the router programming pages using the iPad...

AEGault

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Has anyone done this? I'm worried that the wireless routers will require set up that would require my laptop. Any suggestion on wireless routers?

Certainly trying to make this where I only have to take my iPad when I travel, but i am not intrinsically gifted when it comes to technology...

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought an airport express on bay, set it up at home once, and it works fine. Plugs into an outlet and turns the hotel Internet into wifi. Some hotels won't allow a second router though so its not guaranteed to work everywhere. But it worked for my wife at the hotel she stayed at in Astana, Kazakhstan last week.

monkeyboy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
the routers I have use any decent browser to setup, not a laptop specifically...

so I've never tried (I guess I could go home and try...), but there shouldn't be any reason that the iPad's browser wouldn't be good enough to get into the router to set it up...

Most reactions

Latest posts