What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Connect Ipad to hard wired internet

dcassels13

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am going to Europe and the small B&B we are staying in only has hard wired internet. There must be some cord or something that I can get to connect my Ipad to a hard wire internet connection. Wifi is not an option, so please don't tell me how easy it is to set up a Wifi.

What do I need to get to connect to a hardwire connection. I really don't want to lug my Mac over there.

Thanks,
David

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am going to Europe and the small B&B we are staying in only has hard wired internet. There must be some cord or something that I can get to connect my Ipad to a hard wire internet connection. Wifi is not an option, so please don't tell me how easy it is to set up a Wifi.

What do I need to get to connect to a hardwire connection. I really don't want to lug my Mac over there.

Thanks,
David

I'm sorry to tell you there is no way - you absolutely cannot connect the iPad to a hard-wired Internet connection. OK - that was the bad news.

But you could take a small wireless router with you, connect that to the hard-wired Internet connection and then use the iPad WiFi. I've done that several times before to get a WiFi Hotspot set up with a wired Internet connection.

Tim

Reaction score
Taking a wifi router, or access point with you is the only option. The iPad just can't connect to Ethernet directly.

An Airport Express doesn't take up that much space and is easy to connect.

I realize you said, don't mention how easy it is to setup wifi, but since it is the only option you have to connect to the Internet...

OP
D

dcassels13

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. I will either take my Mac or take a small Wifi router. With golf clubs and everything else, I was trying to keep things to a minimum.

Thanks again.

Reaction score
There is one more thing to check, while it is certainly possible to take along a wifi router and connect it to setup a wifi network, may the B&B have Internet rules, disallowing the extension of the network. Most hotels don't allow you to create your own wifi, even when paying for the Internet, so you may want to ask the B&B administration beforehand, whether they allow it.

Tachi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wifi router

I travel all over Asia, Middle East and India. And I sometimes run into a hotel that is wired only. Actually, quite often. I have a Beldon wifi hotspot that you could put in your pocket - it is that small. And since it is only a single port on the internet connection, the hotels where I have used it, don't have a problem with that connection. Your connection to the 'hotspot' does not create a second IP.

Richman1975

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Has anyone tried this one?

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/TRENDnet-300Mbps-Wireless-N-Travel-TEW-654TR/dp/B002G1CLS0/ref=sr_1_15?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1305556117&sr=1-15]Amazon.com: TRENDnet 300Mbps Wireless-N Travel Router Kit TEW-654TR (Black): Computer & Accessories[/ame]

I'm getting ready to go on vacation and the hotel (Marriott) only has wired in room.

Reaction score
Richman1975 said:

I'm getting ready to go on vacation and the hotel (Marriott) only has wired in room.

That is just a standard wifi router, so it will work with the iPad. You can use any wifi router/access point, as long as they have one ethernet slot to connect to the wired network.

If dimension and weight is not an issue, than yes, that one will work. However, if you these two are important, then Apple's Airport Express it the best solution. It is the smallest wifi router available and it has an inbuilt charger, so there are no extra wires, thus reducing both size and weight.

Richman1975

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Richman1975 said:

That is just a standard wifi router, so it will work with the iPad. You can use any wifi router/access point, as long as they have one ethernet slot to connect to the wired network.

If dimension and weight is not an issue, than yes, that one will work. However, if you these two are important, then Apple's Airport Express it the best solution. It is the smallest wifi router available and it has an inbuilt charger, so there are no extra wires, thus reducing both size and weight.

Thanks!
I am considering the Airport Express, however it it almost double the price. Size is not a huge issue. I will be probably just using it for just this trip and turning around after I get back and selling it on ebay.

Reaction score
Richman1975 said:
I am considering the Airport Express, however it it almost double the price. Size is not a huge issue. I will be probably just using it for just this trip and turning around after I get back and selling it on ebay.

Well, assuming you have wifi at home, you could just take that wifi router with you on this one trip and use that one to connect to the wired internet at the hotel.

Or buy as used one from ebay, if it's only for this one trip, then buying a new wifi router is certainly a bit pricy.

Richman1975

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Richman1975 said:

Well, assuming you have wifi at home, you could just take that wifi router with you on this one trip and use that one to connect to the wired internet at the hotel.

Or buy as used one from ebay, if it's only for this one trip, then buying a new wifi router is certainly a bit pricy.

Excellent idea!! I have an old working linksys router in my garage that I replaced about a year ago. I'll try that.

poopsie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Be careful-My work will shutdown the line if a router is put on it that tries to hand out IP Addresses. Make sure you turn off DHCP or you can have some real issues.

Preacher

iPF Noob
Reaction score
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/802-11N-Travel-Router-300MBPS-Magnet/product-reviews/B003TSZ3IY/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1]Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: 802.11N Travel Router 300MBPS N Travel Router with Magnet Mount[/ame]

The reviews on this are specifically friendly for iPad use and the price isn't half bad either.

Most reactions

Latest posts