What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

International Power Adapter For Europe

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is there a way to buy just the international interchangable prongs for the iPad charger? Since I'm going to Germany I'd rather have that...I do have two cheap adapters...but not sure if they work or not because the power pack is so powerful on the iPad...or if it doesn't matter because they are just adapters.

GailLA

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Apple World Travel Adapter Kit - Apple Store (U.S.)

This is the world adapter kit that should work with the iPad adapter. However it is very pricey and it does include the iPod/iPhone adapter so you are paying for one you can't use with your iPad.

I traveled with my iPhone 2G last year and I refused to pay for something so expensive and limited. The 2G power adapter has the same form factor as the iPad adapter.

What you are looking for in the fine print on the adapter (and I've confirmed this is on the iPad adapter) is:

Input 100 - 240 Volts, 50-60 Hz That means it is international. You can safely use it just about anywhere in the world.

Every iPhone or iPad adapter that I've had my hands on has this, but get out your magnifying glass and read the fine print to make sure.

This is where I buy most of my plug adapters:

Adaptor & Converter Kits | Magellan's Travel Supplies

You only need a plug adapter, not a power converter. There are many other sources, too. Google is your friend in the hunt for plug adapters. The beauty of a simple plug adapter is that you can use it with other gear. In my family, we just pass the adapters we buy on to the next person going overseas. (generally someone is going somewhere every year or so -- if you are a frequent traveler, just keep it for the next trip).

Here is a good site with more information about electricity around the world:

Electricity Around the World

If you want to make sure, you can also inquire at the hotels/residences where you will be staying. Then you will make sure you are buying and packing the right adapters. For the iPad, you don't need a grounded adapter, but they can be used, so I generally get a couple of grounded and a couple of non-grounded to handle all my gear. You can also buy powerstrips (I got a France/Germany one at Amazon for $14 last year) if you need to plug in a lot of gear. I just make sure I have a dual voltage hairdryer, and the right kind of power adapters for my electronics. Then all I need are the plug adapters.

P.S. The spellings "adapter" or "adaptor" are both technically correct, however "adaptor" is not used as often.

GailLA

iPF Novice
Reaction score
P.S. I wrote the above for US iPad owners traveling outside of the US. If you are non-US most of our intentional airports stock plug adapters, though you will generally pay more for the convenience. Radio Shack used to carry a nice universal to US adapter, but I don't see it in their online catalog any more, which is a shame because we have Radio Shacks on just about every corner in cities and in many small towns. They do carry universal to non-US adapters, but they are pretty pricey.

OP
M

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
All I want is the little piece that connects to the power block.

GailLA

iPF Novice
Reaction score

AFAIK, unless someone from another country gives or sells you the one you need, you need to buy that Apple world adapter kit.

I know the feeling. I would have loved to just get that little part, too.

Check eBay and Craigslist. There are apps for that.

OP
M

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't know what to search for, only the generic power adapters and travel kits are coming up. I can't find the official Apple power block for any device on eBay.

OP
M

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I mean, what happens if someone from Germany loses their power adapter? I don't see a place to buy a new one...

OP
M

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
But it comes with the long cable instead of just the little plug.... :(

GailLA

iPF Novice
Reaction score
But it comes with the long cable instead of just the little plug.... :(

I guess you're just gonna have to email Steve.

But seriously, I looked long and hard for that little part last year and just went with traditional adapters.

antarctic74

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Search for Apple "duckhead" or "duck head" adapter. It is the little component that has the prongs. Apple doesn't sell them but many online sellers do.

devster

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Try Here, This is What You Want

r4flash.co.uk/search/iPad+plug

As I haven't posted before it wouldn't let me do a proper link, but I had the same issue and found this place, just ordered the little connectors, so hopefully they will do the trick.

Regards,

Paul

Most reactions

Latest posts