What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

imovie on ipad2 can ONLY edit ipad videos

hoshnasi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm not begrudging anything, just observing the other choices that were ommited in the video above that may be obvious to you, but not necessarily new members of the forum.

Among your other points you questioned why I don't just use a powerful desktop computer to convert video. Let me restate my goal.

Me and many others on this post are looking to reduce the number of gadets between shooting a video and having it appear in iMovie.

My video was documenting one such option.

Please show me any Apple marketing that says the iPad is a post-PC device. The entire iPad ecosystem is clearly built around phoning home to iTunes. It's not a laptop or a device that does well without another computer.

Its not the first but third Post-PC device made by Apple.

Steve-o refers to it as such in both the first gen and second gen keynotes as well.

And how does the sharing of information keep you from doing whatever you Like with iPad.

I can't share "information" from most of the HD cameras I own without using another computer, which for me is a major pain and a huge waste of my time for the most part.

No one's trying to keep you from getting the most for your money.

That might be true, but you are definately questioning my logic.

poker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I found that the Zoom Q3HD shoots 720p and records at 44.1khz.

Gizmodo, the Gadget Guide

I will be taking my iPad to a store next week to test this device. It's $300 so I don't thin I can even afford it right now. I may rather buy the latest Touch (or Flip) for video. The Zoom has great audio recording and that's what you are paying for.

We'll see.

Last edited:

Dorje

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I found that the Zoom Q3HD shoots 720p and records at 44.1khz.

Gizmodo, the Gadget Guide

I will be taking my iPad to a store next week to test this device. It's $300 so I don't thin I can even afford it right now. I may rather buy the latest Touch (or Flip) for video. The Zoom has great audio recording and that's what you are paying for.

We'll see.

Let us know :D. I already submited the suggested that Apple make public the exact specs iMovie will take. It's not to much to ask and saves us all the headache of playing guessing games.

Although be careful, by Touch I'm assuming you mean iPod Touch. It has almost identical cameras to the iPad 2. What you would would get primarily is a more portable shooting platform (which is not a bad thing).

=====

Stepping back the reason get a supplemental video camera to the iPad is I think two fold.

1) More wieldy.
2) Higher quality lens, image sensors, light filters, etc.

I do not include resolution until we find out if iMovie can take better then 720p. Getting a crips 720p vs a grainy 720p. I may have to sit down this Sunday and use that camera card faking trick to try a bunch of different format variations.

poker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I didn't bother to test the Zoom Q3HD only because if it worked I might drop $300 on it and my wife would kill me. The YouTube reviews on the video weren't that special anyway. I'm very use to DSLR quality HD video so I didn't want to spend too much.

I ended up getting the Flip Ultra HD 2 Hour at Costco for $139. I didn't want it but since it's been proven to work with the IPad and iMovie, it should do for now.

I bet Apple with will make iMovie more compatible with other formats eventually. They have to be listening.

Correction -- the Flip Ultra HD does not work with the iPad unless you have a powered USB hub. Get the Flip Mino instead.

Last edited:

OUTL4W

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Don't discount ReelDirector either. I use RD to make the rough draft since it allows for custom font/placement. But since it hasn't been updated since aug2010 it still lacks the ability to upload in HD. I import my RD draft video into imovie and make any final adjustments since imovie has large assortment of sound FX as well then upload in HD. Also use splice app if I want to speed up a particular clip.

Last edited:

poker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I ended up getting the Flip Ultra HD 2 Hour at Costco for $139. I didn't want it but since it's been proven to work with the IPad and iMovie, it should do for now.

CORRECTION! THE FLIP ULTRA HD does NOT work with the iPad. It needs a powered USB hub. After plugging it in to the iPad, I get the power consumption error message.

You need to get the Flip Mino to be independent of software conversion as described from the previous user in this thread. I'll have to return the Flip UltraHD.

Tarkio

iPF Noob
Reaction score

CORRECTION! THE FLIP ULTRA HD does NOT work with the iPad. It needs a powered USB hub. After plugging it in to the iPad, I get the power consumption error message.

You need to get the Flip Mino to be independent of software conversion as described from the previous user in this thread. I'll have to return the Flip UltraHD.

Cisco has pulled the plug on the Flip camera division and completely killed the Flip line.

You should be able to get remaining stock really, really cheap!

jamesmckeephx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I haven't seen the prices for down yet it will probably be a bit before we see the flip on sale

Sent from my evo on tapatalk

Tarkio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I haven't seen the prices for down yet it will probably be a bit before we see the flip on sale

I can't imagine many people will want to pay full price for it knowing that the entire camera division has been closed down as of today. Maybe they're counting on people not knowing.

Dorje

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wow, and just when they could have had a boom as the supplemental iPad vacation tool. Silly cisco, shouldn't have bought them in the first place.

hoshnasi

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Did you make sure the Flip was powered on first?

hoshnasi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So flip mino hd works right? Iam gonna pick one up when they go cheap

Yes, the Flip Mino HD works and I realize now that my video might not have noted this but you must insure the Flip camera is ON before plugging it into the iPad. Or the iPad will complain the connected device requires too much power.

I don't have a Flip Ultra HD, but I would try to turn it on, then plug it into the iPad.

poker

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Did you make sure the Flip was powered on first?

Yes. I tried many combinations and it it would go back to the USB power message. I found another website that confirms this problem and the Mino is the only thing that works.

Benca1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
"Video formats supported: H.264 video up to 720p, 30 frames per second, Main Profile level 3.1 with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; MPEG-4 video, up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps per channel, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; Motion JPEG (M-JPEG) up to 35 Mbps, 1280 by 720 pixels, 30 frames per second, audio in ulaw, PCM stereo audio in .avi file format" Apple - iPad - View the technical specifications for iPad.

Therefore, it will not support AVCHD. Also no HD (1080p) formats. I Wish they had a list of compatible camcorders instead of going through all this junk.

does shooting in iframe work instead of shooting in avchd??? cuz the new cameras say compatible with imovie and if you are going to import to an apple device then should shoot in iframe which is h.264 mpeg 4 ???

Most reactions

Latest posts