What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

imovie on ipad2 can ONLY edit ipad videos

csrredcoat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wow! I cannot believe that you cannot import any files into the imovie app. That just sucks. I was hoping to import videos from my Kodak Zi8 pocket HD camcorder, but not possible as of now. Doesn't seem practical to have to carry around an ipad to shoot videos, although it is a nice option. I hope there is a workaround for this serious limitation.

Darren :(

Somerled

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.deckyon.com
It is just a matter of codec's. The issue is with the cameras and all the different codec's that are available. For instance, even FinalCut wont edit my RAW HD1080 from my Sony camera without first being converted to a different codec, so I stick with Vegas Pro.

See if you can get a refund and look at ReelDirector instead.

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The word "ONLY" in the title of this thread is misleading: it just can't use video from that particular camera... and yes probably others. But it most certainly is not limited to ONLY iPad 2 videos. Let's not draw conclusions from a sample size of, uh, ONE.

Michael

Somerled

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.deckyon.com
I think the point was that not all videos will be able to be edited in iMovie. For me, if I were to a) get an iPad 2 and b) get iMovie then there is no way I would convert my existing footage from my camera using my PC only to throw it on the iPad for editing on iMovie.

Double the render =\= Double the fun.

OP
C

csrredcoat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Let me update the word "ONLY" to specify videos from iphone or ipod touch. I have been researching this for 2 days and also called apple tech support. I hope you can prove me wrong.

OP
C

csrredcoat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The word "ONLY" in the title of this thread is misleading: it just can't use video from that particular camera... and yes probably others. But it most certainly is not limited to ONLY iPad 2 videos. Let's not draw conclusions from a sample size of, uh, ONE.

Michael

only videos from ipad, ipod or iphone.

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think the point was that not all videos will be able to be edited in iMovie.

Well that is kind of obvious.... I expected it to only work with videos the iPad can natively play.

Michael

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Michael

only videos from ipad, ipod or iphone.
I just added a video I shot in 2005... before there was an iPhone.

Michael

Last edited:

treker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OKAY...what video formats are importable to imovie and editable? My Panasonic uses AVCHD mts. Does that import? Thanks for any enlightenment for a new ipad2 owner.

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't think it is as much compatibility as it is how iMovie looks for videos. It's weak, and that is being generous.

For one thing the iTunes direct transfer thing is not working right. I suspect when that is fixed it will be a lot easier.

xune

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Don't forget that you can connect up to a TB of photos and videos to the iPad using drives from hypermac, AirStash, and others, wired or wirelessly.

Once in a compatible format, videos from virtually any source can be viewed and edited using the iMovie application. Plug your Kodak directly into the iPad? No. Convert the video format through your computer and then edit on your iPad using iMovie? Yes.

Chriztofor

iPF Noob
Reaction score
"Video formats supported: H.264 video up to 720p, 30 frames per second, Main Profile level 3.1 with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; MPEG-4 video, up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps per channel, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; Motion JPEG (M-JPEG) up to 35 Mbps, 1280 by 720 pixels, 30 frames per second, audio in ulaw, PCM stereo audio in .avi file format" Apple - iPad - View the technical specifications for iPad.

Therefore, it will not support AVCHD. Also no HD (1080p) formats. I Wish they had a list of compatible camcorders instead of going through all this junk.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts