What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

imovie on ipad2 can ONLY edit ipad videos

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
if you have a mac you can grab Turbo.264 HD video encoder (get it with the USB dongle for faster encodes) to convert any format to an iPad friendly mp4....works great, and its really fast.

Dorje

iPF Noob
Reaction score
macfrankencow good to know, and makes my point that perhaps a 3rd party could make a bit of money off Apple's oversight. Try reducing audio frequency of zi8's movies if you can and see if it was running at 48 Hz.

I'm starting to get a sneaking suspicion that is the main hold-up for many of the digital recorders that do make MP4 files. Also does it end in .MP4 or .M4V? Try renaming it in GoodReader to .M4V and then send it on to the PhotoApp and see it will play. It would be real ass if iMovie and Photo couldn't tell the difference or the lack of.

*edit*
Thanks kriskiter for the link, that trick is always a good one to repeat. However there's something else going on beyond just the filenames and 720p MP4s (which many cameras are already putting out).

Last edited:

Tarkio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK so that imovie works with all flip cameras or just that one?

Sent from my evo on tapatalk

Convert the video from any format you like to use it in iMovie. I use MPEG Streamclip (free download) to convert various video formats and sync via iPhoto to the iPad. It works very well.

Otherwise you can only use the video shot on the iPad, or you can transfer iPhone 4 720p video to iPad/iMovie via the camera connection kit.

jake1974

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It'd be unrealistic to expect it to work with any video source, obviously. They could make it clear what formats it will handle though.

hoshnasi

iPF Noob
Reaction score

pphmmr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have panasonic camera FZ18 which makes .mov video files and it is easy to import pictures or video files into iPad2 through camera connection kit - SD cad.
after import I can find video files in Camera roll watch them. Those video files Is not able to use in iMove but I can use Reeldirector for conversion of files to visible - readable for iMove. In this process Is not necessary use PC or MAC to do conersion. And good is that I can do it during family holiday without any other device.

webvan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sounds like I could do that with my TZ7 then? I generally shoot in AVCHD though and nothing I've tried so far lets me use these files in iMovie.

hoshnasi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Flip mini confirmed [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcKJCHnZRhc&feature=youtube_gdata_player]YouTube - Loading Video Straight Into The IPad 2[/ame]

webvan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Smooth process.

I switched my Panasonic TZ7 from AVCHD to MOV, but the size is x3 and the hassle and time (I'd say about 0.2x on the iPad 1) of opening in ReelDirector AND rendering isn't really worth it.

Tarkio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Interesting video, but the solution is already available for many of us. The iPhone 4 has much more storage than the flip, and you can also plug in directly into the same camera connection kit and import to iPad/iMovie with no conversion.

Also, why do conversions of different video formats on the iPad just to say it was all done on a post PC device? Most of us have powerful desktop computers that will make the conversions easy, about 20 times faster, and with free apps. You still have to do the conversion, no steps are saved, and converting in Reeldirector is painfully slow.

I guess the flip is a nice option if you don't have an iPhone 4 which is an awesome HD camera when used with one of the apps that gives you total manual white balance, focus, and exposure.

Last edited:

Dorje

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Interesting video, but the solution is already available for many of us. The iPhone 4 has much more storage than the flip, and you can also plug in directly into the same camera connection kit and import to iPad/iMovie with no conversion.

Also, why do conversions of different video formats on the iPad just to say it was all done on a post PC device? Most of us have powerful desktop computers that will make the conversions easy, about 20 times faster, and with free apps. You still have to do the conversion, no steps are saved, and converting in Reeldirector is painfully slow.

I guess the flip is a nice option if you don't have an iPhone 4 which is an awesome HD camera when used with one of the apps that gives you total manual white balance, focus, and exposure.

A few things. #1 I don't have an iPhone and likely never will. #2 I don't have a laptop that works with my iOS devices nor would I take it on a trip with me (old PowerBook G4).

This leaves someone like me basically post-PC by default when out of town. Being able to use non-apple resources on what will basically be my centralized device is quite useful.

Maybe I should add to my signature "Just because you don't see a use doesn't mean isn't one."

Tarkio

iPF Noob
Reaction score

A few things. #1 I don't have an iPhone and likely never will. #2 I don't have a laptop that works with my iOS devices nor would I take it on a trip with me (old PowerBook G4).

This leaves someone like me basically post-PC by default when out of town. Being able to use non-apple resources on what will basically be my centralized device is quite useful.

Maybe I should add to my signature "Just because you don't see a use doesn't mean isn't one."

That's cool with me, as long as I can add to my signature, "just because you don't have an iPhone doesn't mean nobody else in this forum does either." :)

The video said "I don't know of anything else that works with high def video at this point", and the flip, iPad, and camera connection kit were the most "slimmed down feature rich camera suite at this time".

I'm just clarifying that the iPhone4, iPad, and camera connection kit has the identical utility for shooting, directly importing and editing video in iMovie.

As to importing other video formats in the field, Reeldirector is cheap and a good solution, but there's a definite time penalty for the convenience.

hoshnasi

iPF Noob
Reaction score

If Apple released that iPad and it didn't work with the iPhone that would really be something wouldn't it? As such I didn't feel it deserved a comment since it is beyond obvious.

1. The iPad is marketed to people as a "Post-PC" device. Not a "Use this to consume data and buy things" device. I produce content and like to De-Clutter my device chain to get that content out at the highest quality possible... I see no better reason than that, but I can go on.

2. I spend time outdoors away from PCs and Laptops.
3. I spend time in Hotels and if the iPad can't do this, then I would leave it at home and take my i7 Laptop. Which then makes the iPad redundant.

I totally agree that the iPhone has a great camera and works with the iPad 2.

Do me a favor though and answer me this question. Why are you begrudging to a person trying to get more functionality out of an expensive device? Please understand that I get why Apple is restrictive on what can work with what and when, but that should not stop the consumer from trying to get what they can to make the device work for them.

I hear the same comment alot from others (many on this forum). Like I shouldn't expect to get the most for my money.

Tarkio

iPF Noob
Reaction score

If Apple released that iPad and it didn't work with the iPhone that would really be something wouldn't it? As such I didn't feel it deserved a comment since it is beyond obvious.

1. The iPad is marketed to people as a "Post-PC" device. Not a "Use this to consume data and buy things" device. I produce content and like to De-Clutter my device chain to get that content out at the highest quality possible... I see no better reason than that, but I can go on.

2. I spend time outdoors away from PCs and Laptops.
3. I spend time in Hotels and if the iPad can't do this, then I would leave it at home and take my i7 Laptop. Which then makes the iPad redundant.

I totally agree that the iPhone has a great camera and works with the iPad 2.

Do me a favor though and answer me this question. Why are you begrudging to a person trying to get more functionality out of an expensive device? Please understand that I get why Apple is restrictive on what can work with what and when, but that should not stop the consumer from trying to get what they can to make the device work for them.

I hear the same comment alot from others (many on this forum). Like I shouldn't expect to get the most for my money.

This is a discussion forum where information is shared that can be relevant to a large cross section of users. Nothing is, or was directed at you, there are others reading these posts.

I'm not begrudging anything, just observing the other choices that were ommited in the video above that may be obvious to you, but not necessarily new members of the forum.

Please show me any Apple marketing that says the iPad is a post-PC device. The entire iPad ecosystem is clearly built around phoning home to iTunes. It's not a laptop or a device that does well without another computer.

And how does the sharing of information keep you from doing whatever you
Like with iPad. In fact, this thread has already offered information on how to get almost any video format into iMovie. No one's trying to keep you from getting the most for your money.

Most reactions