What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

imovie on ipad2 can ONLY edit ipad videos

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm starting not to like iPad autocorrect, looking back at some of the words in my post..lol

Sent from my Jailbroken IPad on 4.2.1 ;-)

poker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is the best analysis I've read so far about using other video files on the iPad:

Importing video in to iMovie for iPad - how to video

I've imported the video files from over 10 cameras and the only camcorder (that I own) that has footage that will work directly in iMovie is the Flip Ultra HD. So I analysed the video files from both the XACTI and the Flip on my Mac to work out the difference. Both are H.264 MP4 files and both have AAC audio. There seemed not to be any difference between the two. HOWEVER, when I looked more closely I discovered where they differed. The Flip records audio at 44.1KHz and the XACTI (all of the XACTI's) record at 48KHz. Could that be the problem? Next test was a strip the audio from the file on the XACTI and re-import it on the iPad to see what happens. Success! OK so there's no audio but the imported mute video appears right away in iMovie. So it looks like iMovie and only use video where the audio is recorded at 44.1? The bad news for me is that I cant change the audio recording mode on the XACTI and, worse still, it looks like almost every other HD camcorder records at 48KHz.

Dorje

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ouch, but good to know. To bad Apple has washed it's hands of any responsibility there by retro actively saying it only works with video recorded on iOS devices. This seems like a coding thing they could deal with clearly.

Dorje

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is there a webcam for ipad

*_*;

Uh, I hope you are asking about the iPad 1 right? Because the iPad 2 comes a front and rare facing VGA quality webcams. Plus the option to use it in FaceTime and likely Skype

As far as I know there is no WebCam addon for a non-jailbroken iPad 1.

Tarkio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ouch, but good to know. To bad Apple has washed it's hands of any responsibility there by retro actively saying it only works with video recorded on iOS devices. This seems like a coding thing they could deal with clearly.

High-end Avids and Final Cut Pro require transcoding to an editing format. I don't see Apple making a iPad app that does more than those programs.

Plus, it's a matter of liability. Apple has to support these apps so they only "officially" support iOS video shot by their devices. Once they offer a built-in way to transcode any video format they are stating that their app is suitable for that and will have to offer support for the thousands of people trying to import video from dozens of flavors of dozens of formats. They can't do that for a $4.95 app and be profitable.

At least they left the door open for us to do it on our own easily. They could have tagged their video so that nothing else would work even with transcoding.

webvan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry for the OT, but does that mean you can plug in a webcam on a JB iPad 1 ? That would be interesting for Skype, need to investigate...

hoshnasi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is the best analysis I've read so far about using other video files on the iPad:

Importing video in to iMovie for iPad - how to video

I've imported the video files from over 10 cameras and the only camcorder (that I own) that has footage that will work directly in iMovie is the Flip Ultra HD. So I analysed the video files from both the XACTI and the Flip on my Mac to work out the difference. Both are H.264 MP4 files and both have AAC audio. There seemed not to be any difference between the two. HOWEVER, when I looked more closely I discovered where they differed. The Flip records audio at 44.1KHz and the XACTI (all of the XACTI's) record at 48KHz. Could that be the problem? Next test was a strip the audio from the file on the XACTI and re-import it on the iPad to see what happens. Success! OK so there's no audio but the imported mute video appears right away in iMovie. So it looks like iMovie and only use video where the audio is recorded at 44.1? The bad news for me is that I cant change the audio recording mode on the XACTI and, worse still, it looks like almost every other HD camcorder records at 48KHz.

Great and informative link! I've put in an order for a Flip Mino HD so I hope that it will work similar to that of the Flip Ultra HD.

hoshnasi

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Plus, it's a matter of liability. Apple has to support these apps so they only "officially" support iOS video shot by their devices. Once they offer a built-in way to transcode any video format they are stating that their app is suitable for that and will have to offer support for the thousands of people trying to import video from dozens of flavors of dozens of formats. They can't do that for a $4.95 app and be profitable.

At least they left the door open for us to do it on our own easily. They could have tagged their video so that nothing else would work even with transcoding.

Is transcode really needed? Or would say supporting more audio encoding work?

Dorje

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry for the OT, but does that mean you can plug in a webcam on a JB iPad 1 ? That would be interesting for Skype, need to investigate...

The point of Jailbreaking is to get at the root operating system and install additional drivers and software. While I can't point to you a specific case (I haven't bothered to look) considering that options exist to connect GPS units to WiFi jailborken iPads, I would suspect there would be a way.

On Topic:

Sounds like some enterprising developer could make some supplemental money by creating a transcoder if that's allowed in the Apple's App guidelines. One that can send the video on iMovie.

Broseph

iPF Noob
Reaction score
this is a little off-topic, but do you have to buy iMovie or is it pre-installed with the iPad 2?

Dorje

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's a question of the camera meeting the narrow range that iMovie will accept.

It sounds like it only takes .m4v files with no more the 44.1KHz audio, at resolutions no greater then... what 720p(? VGA (640x480)?

macfrankencow

iPF Noob
Reaction score
plists and jailbreaking

It's a question of the camera meeting the narrow range that iMovie will accept.

It sounds like it only takes .m4v files with no more the 44.1KHz audio, at resolutions no greater then... what 720p(? VGA (640x480)?

Has there been any work in the jail breaking community to expand the natively supported video/audio formats in ios?

For example, the iPad *can* play my zi8's 720p mp4 video files, but only through 3rd party apps like GoodReader (which contains *no* video codecs of its own). The same files won't play in either Apple's Photo's app or in the iMovie app. So, it seems apple has imposed some "artificial" limitations. (Basically, GoodReader is bypassing a certain check imposed by apple).

I've been googling, but I can't seem to find if there is a plist or anything in iOS that specifies the exact bit rates, etc. that Photos and iMovie allow.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Most reactions

Latest posts