What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

imovie on ipad2 can ONLY edit ipad videos

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have tried your ReelDirector workaround and it does not work 90% of the time for iPad 2. Mine might be longer, but it has worked 100% of the time for me. It's all about getting the right file details so iMovies can see it.

You right, it's about getting the right file details for the imovies to detect it. Even still, it sux ipad2 imovies can't recognize the movie on it's on, especially if taken with ipad2 or reel director can see it.
Like I said b4 the more options to get ur movies up there, the better. I just tryl to stay away from the pc if I can. Plus starting to use reel director more for editing, anyhow. Basically does everything imovies does n more. Imovies just specifically tailored for movies from advices. Reel director edits most if not all types of vids. Your workaround is good though. Especially since it involves a free conversion tool. ;-)

OP
C

csrredcoat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for everyone's help and finding solutions. At least I will have a few options to try when I get it tomorrow or tuesday from Fedex. Thanks!!

hoshnasi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
More lessons learned today.

Lesson one, I can import video from my Kodak Playsport when it's recorded in the lowest quality. Which stinks since the Playsport is an amazing litte camera quality wise.

Further, I CAN import video from my myTouch 4g as long as it goes through the syncing process.

So while I did make a sort of progress, it's a still a bummer that I need so many steps for a high quality video clip.

What is very odd to me though, with my Playsport, when I am at the import screen I can see a full thumbnail and the little video icon. However After the import the nice quality clips disappears and is replaced by the white thumbNail that only says "mov"....

Major bummers!

Last edited:

OUTL4W

iPF Novice
Reaction score
More lessons learned today.

Lesson one, I can import video from my Playsport when it's recorded in the lowest quality. Which stinks since the Playsport is an amazing litte camera quality wise.

Further, I CAN import video from my myTouch 4g as long as it goes through the syncing process.

So while I did make a sort of progress, it's a still a bummer that I need so many steps for a high quality video clip.

What is very odd to me though, with my Playsport, when I am at the import screen I can see a full thumbnail and the little video icon. However After the import the nice quality clips disappears and is replaced by the white thumbNail that only says "mov"....

Major bummers!

Here might be a temp work around.....once in ipad's photo album....are you able to select them in order to upload to youtube directly from photo app? And then set them to private. I have done this with .avi's and then used yourtube 2 hd from cydia or tag disk hd from the app store to download in ipad resolution.

poker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm curious to see if this line of Canon video cameras would work easily with iMovie on the iPad.

VIXIA HF M300

I was looking at each video camera that Canon makes and noticed the models with "VIXIA HF M###" all have a logo that states 'works with iMovie'. Only the M series VIXIA say this. I hope to go to my local camera store and test this out.

Last edited:

Thehamguy1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Zwiller5's method worked for me.

I have a Kodak Playsport ZX3 (and I agree with someone's comment that it's a great little camera), and I followed his method of getting a video from the camera into iMovie. The video clip was made in WVGA format originally and after converting it and importing it per his directions it opened in iMovie. The only problem with it was the size. Using the size he recommends, my video was stretched vertically. I'll play with the size when I get time but I appreciate his letting us know his workaround.
BTW, iMovie on the iMac is able to use videos from my camera in both 720p and WVGA formats (I didn't try the other HD formats, the files are very large). Just copy the video from the camera's SD card to the Mac, open iMovie and import it. iMovie for iPad must have some programming shortcuts that don't give it the same functionality as the iMac version.

OP
C

csrredcoat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
@Thehamguy1 ..That is not good if you have to use WVGA to get it to work. That is the lowest quality setting on the Kodak, not HD. So if this is the case, why bother? I have tried all the workarounds mentioned in this thread, but as for me using the KOdak Zi8, nothing is working. I've only tried using clips filmed in both 720 and 1080 HD .MOV formats. Very dissapointed.

OUTL4W

iPF Novice
Reaction score
@Thehamguy1 ..That is not good if you have to use WVGA to get it to work. That is the lowest quality setting on the , not HD. So if this is the case, why bother? I have tried all the workarounds mentioned in this thread, but as for me using the KOdak Zi8, nothing is working. I've only tried using clips filmed in both 720 and 1080 HD .MOV formats. Very dissapointed.

May I suggest trying ReelDirector just as good except for a few minor differences. I have both and interchange between the 2 as both have qualities I like.

Last edited:

hoshnasi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
@Thehamguy1 ..That is not good if you have to use WVGA to get it to work. That is the lowest quality setting on the , not HD. So if this is the case, why bother? I have tried all the workarounds mentioned in this thread, but as for me using the KOdak Zi8, nothing is working. I've only tried using clips filmed in both 720 and 1080 HD .MOV formats. Very dissapointed.

May I suggest trying ReelDirector just as good except for a few minor differences. I have both and interchange between the 2 as both have qualities I like.

for sure, I use both as well. The issues more our less are based on getting the video into the ipad and in a decent format.

Sent from my HTC Glacier

13clicks

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok... I like what ur saying! I'm a newb so please explain how I get a video on my ipad2 from itunes that was shot on a camera other than iPad to then finally render in reel director and save to photos. Please help! Thanks!

[/QUOTE]

2)go into reel director, load up the movie u want to use in Imovies. It will then compress the video. Then go back out to main screen. Press the render tab as it will render it making it a final product. Note, rendering the file makes it bigger. For ex. I rendered a 7.8mb file and when it was done, it eneded being like 14mb. Plus thru ifiles, I saw it converts the mp4 into .MOV format.

3)once completed , press the box to save it to camera roll. Once it's saved. Exit the Reel director app.

4) start up imovies apps. Press the + sign for new project and now ur movie is seen by imovies and u can edit it now thru that app.

I like to use a combo of the two apps using various fx and techniques from both. I tried again, with ifiles, to move a mp4 movie into the camera roll folder n imovies still wouldn't see it. I think the movies have to be originally saved in camera roll folder and be in mp4 or mov. Format. The reason imovies could now see the movies thru reel director is because it saved them to camera roll and rendered/converted it to .MOV format. Works every time if u got a movie that reel director sees but imovies doesn't. Just do those steps and it will finally show up in imovies. A lil tedious but works. Plus u can always delete the original movie if u wish cuz in a way,this makes a copy of ur movie but in a way or format to where imovies can see it.[/QUOTE]

13clicks

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Micheal help!

Michael please help!

The more I compare iMovie to ReelDirector I wonder why I even both with iMovie. ReelDirector is that much better--in just about every area. I like how it can render a movie in the background and then pop up a notification when it is done.

Michael

Yeah, plus check this out, I found a good work around on compatibility issues of movies. It's a lil extra work nut worth it as both Reel Director and Imovies have their benefits over the other one. Like with imovies, I like all the sound fx and built in themes and theme music.
Ok here we go,
1) u need both Reel Director and Imovies. As this is for moving movies that can't be seen thru imovies, but reel director can.

2)go into reel director, load up the movie u want to use in Imovies. It will then compress the video. Then go back out to main screen. Press the render tab as it will render it making it a final product. Note, rendering the file makes it bigger. For ex. I rendered a 7.8mb file and when it was done, it eneded being like 14mb. Plus thru ifiles, I saw it converts the mp4 into .MOV format.

3)once completed , press the box to save it to camera roll. Once it's saved. Exit the Reel director app.

4) start up imovies apps. Press the + sign for new project and now ur movie is seen by imovies and u can edit it now thru that app.

I like to use a combo of the two apps using various fx and techniques from both. I tried again, with ifiles, to move a mp4 movie into the camera roll folder n imovies still wouldn't see it. I think the movies have to be originally saved in camera roll folder and be in mp4 or mov. Format. The reason imovies could now see the movies thru reel director is because it saved them to camera roll and rendered/converted it to .MOV format. Works every time if u got a movie that reel director sees but imovies doesn't. Just do those steps and it will finally show up in imovies. A lil tedious but works. Plus u can always delete the original movie if u wish cuz in a way,this makes a copy of ur movie but in a way or format to where imovies can see it.

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Michael please help!

The more I compare iMovie to ReelDirector I wonder why I even both with iMovie. ReelDirector is that much better--in just about every area. I like how it can render a movie in the background and then pop up a notification when it is done.

Michael

Yeah, plus check this out, I found a good work around on compatibility issues of movies. It's a lil extra work nut worth it as both Reel Director and Imovies have their benefits over the other one. Like with imovies, I like all the sound fx and built in themes and theme music.
Ok here we go,
1) u need both Reel Director and Imovies. As this is for moving movies that can't be seen thru imovies, but reel director can.

I like to use a combo of the two apps using various fx and techniques from both. I tried again, with ifiles, to move a mp4 movie into the camera roll folder n imovies still wouldn't see it. I think the movies have to be originally saved in camera roll folder and be in mp4 or mov. Format. The reason imovies could now see the movies thru reel director is because it saved them to camera roll and rendered/converted it to .MOV format. Works every time if u got a movie that reel director sees but imovies doesn't. Just do those steps and it will finally show up in imovies. A lil tedious but works. Plus u can always delete the original movie if u wish cuz in a way,this makes a copy of ur movie but in a way or format to where imovies can see it.

Nice to see my workaround working for others ;-) m
So what are you exactly asking to do? Trying to get movies u have on iTunes, shot from another cam, onto imovies? If so, then if already in iTunes on pc, then u should be able to just sync the movies to your iPad album or imovies itself. I'm speaking on this, theoretically, because ice never used iTunes to put movies onto my iPad. My iPad is jailbroken so I use ifiles( from Cydia) to transfer all my movies wherever needed. Once u do have movies finally transferred to iPad, try to see if imovies recognize the movies. If doesn't try reel director. If they show up in reel director but not imovies, then try my workaround. If imovies still not seeing them after all that, then u need to convert your movies using the free pc tool another member had suggested in this same thread also. With mines, I like to do everything within the iPad if possible. I hate having to sync to iTunes.
Post back and let us know how it went. My name is Michael also ;-)

Tarkio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry if this has already been mentioned. You can can import iPhone4 video with the iPad camera connection kit.

For other video formats download the free conversion app (for Mac or Windows) MPEG Streamclip.

Simply use Streamclip to convert your video to MP4, 720p.

Import the converted clip to iPhoto and sync via iTunes.

The clips show up in iMovie and look great. I use this easy conversion to edit my 1080p video from my Canon 5DII DSLR on the iPad2. The down-conversion from 1080p to 720p makes for excellent quality video

OUTL4W

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Sorry if this has already been mentioned. You can can import iPhone4 video with the iPad camera connection kit.

For other video formats download the free conversion app (for Mac or Windows) MPEG Streamclip.

Simply use Streamclip to convert your video to MP4, 720p.

Import the converted clip to iPhoto and sync via iTunes.

The clips show up in iMovie and look great. I use this easy conversion to edit my 1080p video from my Canon 5DII DSLR on the iPad2. The down-conversion from 1080p to 720p makes for excellent quality video

Thanks for the tip....but alot of users including myself want to be able to do this all within the confines of the ipad itself without the use externel conversions....

Most reactions

Latest posts