What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

imovie on ipad2 can ONLY edit ipad videos

OP
C

csrredcoat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The word "ONLY" in the title of this thread is misleading: it just can't use video from that particular camera... and yes probably others. But it most certainly is not limited to ONLY iPad 2 videos. Let's not draw conclusions from a sample size of, uh, ONE.

Michael

only videos from ipad, ipod or iphone.
I just added a video I shot in 2005... before there was an iPhone.

Michael

@Michael - What format and how did you import? Camera connector kit or itunes sync?

Thanks.

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
@Michael - What format and how did you import? Camera connector kit or itunes sync?

Thanks.
Well it was a circuitous route...

1.) Made sure video was in iPad friendly format... in this case it was a .MOV.

2.) Used iPhone Browser application (free) to copy the video into the iPad's DCIM/100APPLE folder (the folder that is seen on the iPad as the "Camera Roll"). No jailbreak required to access this folder.

3.) Synced with iTunes which causes the photos database to rebuild itself. This causes the newly copied video to show in the Camera Roll on the iPad itself.

4.) Opened iMovie and imported clip. (If I do more than one iMovie only seems to see the last one.)

I have since tried a few other clips that both the Photos app and iMovie "saw" but didn't seem to work with right (as in: no video). I was able to use these very same clips in Reel Director without issue. Also Reel Director sees all the movies I have copied over this way, not just the last. So you might try that app.

Now in theory I should have just been able to go into iTunes and copy the video directly into iMovie. But NOTHING works there... not even photos or videos I shot on the iPad itself. So there is fixing that needs to be done on iMovie.

Michael

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Therefore, it will not support AVCHD. Also no HD (1080p) formats. I Wish they had a list of compatible camcorders instead of going through all this junk.

That would be nice, but given the shear number of camcorders available, with new ones every week, it might be just a tad difficult. And can you imagine the cries of outrage from every manufacturers who was left out by mistake?

blueridge

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
if someone can find out the exact format we need to convert to then it wouldnt be much of a problem.. one of the things that im disappointed in is they show clips that you know were not filmed with an iphone, ipad, or ipod touch and they are editing them.. yet no other information on what codecs will work.. etc.. i have tried converting to .mp4 and other things to get 2 cameras i have to work.. i bought the camera kit thinking i could easily import and edit small clips using iMovie however it wont work.. hopefully someone finds a solution.. iMovie should be able to edit any video that shows up in 'videos' on your ipad.. i even used itunes and synced with photos with 'include videos' checked.. they import.. however iMovie cannot see them.. i think you are right.. the videos need to be in the camera roll..

Last edited:

OUTL4W

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Did you try the help menu in imovie...
If iMovie can’t access your video and photos
The first time you open iMovie, a message appears asking permission to use your current geographic location. Because photos and videos recorded with your device include location information, you must tap OK to enable iMovie to access photos and videos in the Media Library. If you don’t tap OK at this point, you may need to change your device settings later so it can access your media.

To enable iMovie to access your video and photos:
Open the Settings app on your device.
Open 'general'
Tap Location Services.

Turn iMovie on.
See if that helps.

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Reel director sees all my movies. Imovies on my ipad1 only sees the movies I edited thru Reel Director..figures..lol. Plus I double checked using ifiles, all my movies are in mp4 format but for some strange reason imovies not seeing them. Reel director sees everything. Plus reel director has more n better transitions. Works great. Once I save the edited movie to camera roll, NOW imovies can see it, WTF..lmao

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Did you try the help menu in imovie...
If iMovie can’t access your video and photos
The first time you open iMovie, a message appears asking permission to use your current geographic location. Because photos and videos recorded with your device include location information, you must tap OK to enable iMovie to access photos and videos in the Media Library. If you don’t tap OK at this point, you may need to change your device settings later so it can access your media.

To enable iMovie to access your video and photos:
Open the Settings app on your device.
Open 'general'
Tap Location Services.

Turn iMovie on.
See if that helps.

That didn't work for me. Plus I did a test n used ifiles to move an mp4 movie into the proper camera roll folder, DcIM/100apple. That didn't really work either as imovies only saw it as a blank. It knew something was there but it had an exclamation mark on it and pressing on it didn't bring up the movie in imovies. I didn't sync it to iTunes though as i hate using that dreaded pc program..lol. I'll try some more to see. As it showed up n played in saved folder no prob. But imovies wouldn't play it or load it up.

Last edited:

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The more I compare iMovie to ReelDirector I wonder why I even both with iMovie. ReelDirector is that much better--in just about every area. I like how it can render a movie in the background and then pop up a notification when it is done.

Michael

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The more I compare iMovie to ReelDirector I wonder why I even both with iMovie. ReelDirector is that much better--in just about every area. I like how it can render a movie in the background and then pop up a notification when it is done.

Michael

Yeah, plus check this out, I found a good work around on compatibility issues of movies. It's a lil extra work nut worth it as both Reel Director and Imovies have their benefits over the other one. Like with imovies, I like all the sound fx and built in themes and theme music.
Ok here we go,
1) u need both Reel Director and Imovies. As this is for moving movies that can't be seen thru imovies, but reel director can.

2)go into reel director, load up the movie u want to use in Imovies. It will then compress the video. Then go back out to main screen. Press the render tab as it will render it making it a final product. Note, rendering the file makes it bigger. For ex. I rendered a 7.8mb file and when it was done, it eneded being like 14mb. Plus thru ifiles, I saw it converts the mp4 into .MOV format.

3)once completed , press the box to save it to camera roll. Once it's saved. Exit the Reel director app.

4) start up imovies apps. Press the + sign for new project and now ur movie is seen by imovies and u can edit it now thru that app.

I like to use a combo of the two apps using various fx and techniques from both. I tried again, with ifiles, to move a mp4 movie into the camera roll folder n imovies still wouldn't see it. I think the movies have to be originally saved in camera roll folder and be in mp4 or mov. Format. The reason imovies could now see the movies thru reel director is because it saved them to camera roll and rendered/converted it to .MOV format. Works every time if u got a movie that reel director sees but imovies doesn't. Just do those steps and it will finally show up in imovies. A lil tedious but works. Plus u can always delete the original movie if u wish cuz in a way,this makes a copy of ur movie but in a way or format to where imovies can see it.

hoshnasi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Am I doing this wrong?

I just took a video with my iPad2. Now I want to open it in iMovie and it just won't show up on the list... Whats going on here?

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Am I doing this wrong?

I just took a video with my iPad2. Now I want to open it in iMovie and it just won't show up on the list... Whats going on here?

Dang, now that's messed up. Lol take a movie using ipad2 and imovies still won't see it..that sux. Try going into ur iPad settings. Go to location. Then make sure for imovies it's set to "ON". If that doesn't work. Try the wrk around I posted up that uses reel director app n imovies. Wrks for me ;-)

hoshnasi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Am I doing this wrong?

Dang, now that's messed up. Lol take a movie using ipad2 and imovies still won't see it..that sux. Try going into ur iPad settings. Go to location. Then make sure for imovies it's set to "ON". If that doesn't work. Try the wrk around I posted up that uses reel director app n imovies. Wrks for me ;-)

So I just synched the iPad and now the videos I recorded show up... I have to SYNC the iPad to get iMovie access to the video I record on the iPad!?

I turned on locations too, not hot on that personally.

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Am I doing this wrong?

So I just synched the iPad and now the videos I recorded show up... I have to SYNC the iPad to get iMovie access to the video I record on the iPad!?

That's just plain stupid if u have to sync to desktop/laptop iTunes just for it to recognize the dang movie that the Ipad2 itself took. SMDH maybe I have to do the same but for me, the reel director workaround is a lot faster n convenient. I do it all from the iPad. Forget iTunes..lol

hoshnasi

iPF Noob
Reaction score

That's just plain stupid if u have to sync to desktop/laptop iTunes just for it to recognize the dang movie that the Ipad2 itself took. SMDH maybe I have to do the same but for me, the reel director workaround is a lot faster n convenient. I do it all from the iPad. Forget iTunes..lol

I agree with you there! I downloaded ReelManager after reading this post and guess what I record and THEN edit it in reel manager! :)

Most reactions

Latest posts