What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Imessage "waiting on activation"

gresh14

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I tried posting this on the iPhone forum but didnt find the answer, so Im hoping that maybe someone here has an idea. My son has an iPhone 3GS jailbroken running 6.1. Imessage was working just fine until mid June then for what ever reason he lost wifi connection. I was able to get that going again but I can't get imessage to activate. I've tried doing a hard reset several times, resetting network connections but no luck. He hasn't downloaded anything new from cydia in several months now so that wouldn't be the issue either. I did read that apple had some kind of issue with imessage in June so maybe it's related to that? Thanks for any ideas.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I tried posting this on the iPhone forum but didnt find the answer, so Im hoping that maybe someone here has an idea. My son has an iPhone 3GS jailbroken running 6.1. Imessage was working just fine until mid June then for what ever reason he lost wifi connection. I was able to get that going again but I can't get imessage to activate. I've tried doing a hard reset several times, resetting network connections but no luck. He hasn't downloaded anything new from cydia in several months now so that wouldn't be the issue either. I did read that apple had some kind of issue with imessage in June so maybe it's related to that? Thanks for any ideas.

Hi! I don't have an iPhone, also my iPad isn't jailbroken.

Just to let you know: what I'm going to suggest is something I found in the internet, not my own experience.
This seems to be a common issue, there were quite a few sites with that subject. Perhaps there's the solution for your problem somewhere:

Make sure that time and date are correct. (You certainly know where to search that.) If it is - slide it off for some time, then on again.
In "Contacts" make sure the phone number is listed (My Number).
Go to your Apple ID (is there one in iMessage on the iPhone?), sign out and then in again.

I even found once, simply to ignore the message (waiting ...) and try sending an SMS.

Last option I found, and I know you want to avoid it: Restore.

I'm sure when you search for a solution yourself, you'll find something I forgot to mention. Good luck with solving your issue!

OP
G

gresh14

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi! I don't have an iPhone, also my iPad isn't jailbroken.

Just to let you know: what I'm going to suggest is something I found in the internet, not my own experience.
This seems to be a common issue, there were quite a few sites with that subject. Perhaps there's the solution for your problem somewhere:

Make sure that time and date are correct. (You certainly know where to search that.) If it is - slide it off for some time, then on again.
In "Contacts" make sure the phone number is listed (My Number).
Go to your Apple ID (is there one in iMessage on the iPhone?), sign out and then in again.

I even found once, simply to ignore the message (waiting ...) and try sending an SMS.

Last option I found, and I know you want to avoid it: Restore.

I'm sure when you search for a solution yourself, you'll find something I forgot to mention. Good luck with solving your issue!

Thank you, I did try all that you suggested, no luck - he doesn't want to loose the jailbreak so I guess he's out of luck till the next JB comes out then I will do a restore.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Have you tried this?

Go into Settings > Messages > Send & Recive, tap the Apple ID, sign out, waiting a few minutes, then sign back in.

This should refresh his device's registration with the iMessage server. When I have problems withe iMessage this is what I do, and it has (so far) never failed to resolve the issue. Though sometimes I've had to do it for all my devices, to resolve conflicts.

OP
G

gresh14

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Have you tried this?

Go into Settings > Messages > Send & Recive, tap the Apple ID, sign out, waiting a few minutes, then sign back in.

This should refresh his device's registration with the iMessage server. When I have problems withe iMessage this is what I do, and it has (so far) never failed to resolve the issue. Though sometimes I've had to do it for all my devices, to resolve conflicts.

Tried doing this just now , however the 3GS doesn't have the "send & receive " option there? Is there another way to get to the apple id? When I look on my iPhone 5 I see that option is only there if imessage is activated

Well I tried going to setting>iTunes & App Store and signing out of apple id there however sadly it didnt work

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Tried doing this just now , however the 3GS doesn't have the "send & receive " option there? Is there another way to get to the apple id? When I look on my iPhone 5 I see that option is only there if imessage is activated

Well I tried going to setting>iTunes & App Store and signing out of apple id there however sadly it didnt work

Ah. The 3GS. It won't have iOS 6. I don't remember where the setting is in older versions of Messages, but some where in Settings > Messages you should find the ability to sign-in and out with your Apple ID. The iMessage service won't work without it. All I can recommend is doing some exploratory tapping.

Or maybe someone else with a 3GS will chime in.

Sign in's for the App Store(s), iCloud, FaceTime, and other services are all separate. They don't affect each other. In theory you could have a different Apple ID for each of them, though it would get pretty confusing.

OP
G

gresh14

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Ah. The 3GS. It won't have iOS 6. I don't remember where the setting is in older versions of Messages, but some where in Settings > Messages you should find the ability to sign-in and out with your Apple ID. The iMessage service won't work without it. All I can recommend is doing some exploratory tapping.

Or maybe someone else with a 3GS will chime in.

Sign in's for the App Store(s), iCloud, FaceTime, and other services are all separate. They don't affect each other. In theory you could have a different Apple ID for each of them, though it would get pretty confusing.

I wasn't sure if it would help or not to try and sign out through setting-app store. I saw this website stating to do this on a 3GS http://support.bell.ca/Mobility/Sma...w_to_fix_imessage_and_facetime_problems_on_my

So I thought maybe. My sons phone is running 6.1.
There are not many options in the settings-messages, just 4 to be exact and those are just on-off choices, group message, text count , subject field and mms messaging. Nothing with a choice to sign in or out. I turned off imessage on my iPhone 5 and see that I only get those same 4 choices when imessage is turned off, the option of signing out of your apple id is only available if Imessage is activated.
Thank you for your help

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I turned off imessage on my iPhone 5 and see that I only get those same 4 choices when iMessage is turned off, the option of signing out of your apple id is only available if Imessage is activated.
Thank you for your help

Ok, so what you are saying is that he can't find the setting to activate iMessages in the first place, nor the way to turn it off so that he can reactivate it?

At this point I'd recommend you use Reset All Settings under Settings > General > Reset. This won't erase anything or remove account info, but it will mean going through and retweaking settings. I'm not sure how it will affect a jailbreak, so check with that community first.

And since you've reminded me that we are talking about a jailbroken phone, he should try going through any recent tweaks. If he hasn't changed anything, look at those tweaks/tools that have updated recently. Bugs have been known to sneak in with updates.

Last edited:
OP
G

gresh14

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Ok, so what you are saying is that he can't find the setting to activate iMessages in the first place, nor the way to turn it off so that he can reactivate it?

At this point I'd recommend you use Reset All Settings under Settings > General > Reset. This won't erase anything or remove account info, but it will mean going through and retweaking settings. I'm not sure how it will affect a jailbreak, so check with that community first.

And since you've reminded me that we are talking about a jailbroken phone, he should try going through any recent tweaks. If he hasn't changed anything, look at those tweaks/tools that have updated recently. Bugs have been known to sneak in with updates.

I can find the setting to activate imessage, just won't activate - good thinking on the updates in cydia, didn't think of that. I'll work on that, thanks!

OP
G

gresh14

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I can find the setting to activate imessage, just won't activate - good thinking on the updates in cydia, didn't think of that. I'll work on that, thanks!

I give up- cant figure it out

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I do have one more idea, though it's not likely. Make sure you are connected to a wi-fi network when trying to activate iMessages. I can't think of any reason why it would not connect over the phone's data plan, but it's worth a try.

OP
G

gresh14

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I do have one more idea, though it's not likely. Make sure you are connected to a wi-fi network when trying to activate iMessages. I can't think of any reason why it would not connect over the phone's data plan, but it's worth a try.

Thanks just tried, no luck. I have no idea whats up with this thing.

Most reactions