What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iGutenberg

kopavi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Greetings! Project Gutenberg is a marvelous resource for free ebooks. Most all things past copywrite protection can be found there. I use to be able to use a library oriented app called Overdrive which worked well with Gutenberg resources but Overdrive is going away and its replacement doesn't "know" Gutenberg. I found an app at the Apple app store called "iGuntenberg" which looks perfect for my needs. I downloaded it and explored. I can find books, select them and they appear dimly at the bottom of the page, clicking on them will allow the table of contents to show on screen but only very dimly. I have tried every technique I know to open the book/chapter/etc to be able to read it, but I cannot. There are no user guidelines/instructions for how to use iGuntenberg, no contact info for the author, nothing I can find on line for how to use the program.

If anyone knows how to use iGuntenberg, please let me know.

If anyone has a particularly good method for accessing Project Guntenberg directly via my iPad, please let me know.

Thanks!

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Greetings! Project Gutenberg is a marvelous resource for free ebooks. Most all things past copywrite protection can be found there. I use to be able to use a library oriented app called Overdrive which worked well with Gutenberg resources but Overdrive is going away and its replacement doesn't "know" Gutenberg. I found an app at the Apple app store called "iGuntenberg" which looks perfect for my needs. I downloaded it and explored. I can find books, select them and they appear dimly at the bottom of the page, clicking on them will allow the table of contents to show on screen but only very dimly. I have tried every technique I know to open the book/chapter/etc to be able to read it, but I cannot. There are no user guidelines/instructions for how to use iGuntenberg, no contact info for the author, nothing I can find on line for how to use the program.

If anyone has a particularly good method for accessing Project Guntenberg directly via my iPad, please let me know.

Thanks!
Hello kopavi - welcome to the forum - I've not used the app discussed above so have no advice - BUT, I've downloaded a number of books from the Gutenberg Website via a web browser such as Safari (shown below) - why not give that a try. Dave :)
IMG_4111.PNG

Jupiter7

iPad Fan
Reaction score

Thanks!
Many of the Gutenberg Project books are available in the Apple Books App. Just type Gutenberg in the search bar for a list.

OP
K

kopavi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello kopavi - welcome to the forum - I've not used the app discussed above so have no advice - BUT, I've downloaded a number of books from the Gutenberg Website via a web browser such as Safari (shown below) - why not give that a try. Dave :)
View attachment 96958
I finally got things working. Yes, I tried your suggestion but had issues. I would go to Gutenberg, download a book and then could not find it on my iPad. Alas, I kept looking for the title. The books end up being stored in files with the Gutenberg Project identification number, not title. When you touch the icon, the title will appear and the book, automatically is readable in the iPad book app. Also, when in the file folder, you can touch the access number and retitle the file. Since the downloads are coming from Gutenberg directly there is no censorship of which titles can be downloaded. Sweet. A relief. Thanks for the suggestions.

Most reactions

Latest posts