What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ifile + cck sd card adapter question

bctf1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Pad 2 4.3.3 jailbroken:
I just purchased the cck and tried it with a sd card via iflle. The card shows up in file and I can read and open the files on the card. I was expecting that when opening the files that they would not need to be copied/imported to the app being used. For example, when opening a word doc on the sd card in pages, the file was saved in pages as it was being opened. When opening a video in ifile using the buzz player app, the file was copied to buzz player.

One of the reasons I wanted the cck was to have additional storage for videos, pics and files. If the files have to be copied to the iPad app being used to open them via ifile from the cck sd adapter, I don't see that this is additional storage. Am I missing something? Is there a way to open files using ifile from the sd card without them being copied to the iPad during the process?

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
iPad apps are, on the whole, sandboxed, so files need to be made available to them in their own folder. That's just the way the iPad works. You'll have to manage your additional storage accordingly. Despite this restriction there is still a significant advantage to be able to store media on SD cards in this way. e.g. you can store a dozen movies on an SD card. Copy one across to watch it and delete it when you are done. Rinse and repeat.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It seems to be a function of a lot of the apps to load the file into "their" sandbox first, before opening the file. I tested out a PDF in iBooks, it stayed in iBooks when I was done; as did an an MP4 file stayed in OPlayer HD. Interestingly enough, a .docx file did not stay in Documents To Go. Don't know why...

But, it can be counted as extra storage because you can always delete them from the app when you are done, yet they can stay on the SD card. So, as long as you have room on the iPad to open any one file, you'll be good to go.

Yeah, it's not perfect - cause it would be nice to have the file open from the card. But, because of the "sandbox" design, I don't think that's going to happen.

Sorry I'm not more helpful.

Marilyn

OP
B

bctf1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for your replies. I simply was not expecting that the file would be copied to an app's sandbox when opened from an external source. I assume that the same behavior would occur using ifile with a USB thumb drive or external hard drive. I wonder if it might be possible someday for ifile to somehow circumvent this sandbox behavior.

Most reactions