What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad camera connection kit + ifile- is lower voltage ok with sd cards.

Reaction score
Hi,

Great forum, I travel a lot and use goodreader and avplayer app for video. I have read that in 4.2.1 the voltage was lowered which made USB hit and miss certain ones would work others not.

My question is do sd cards which presumably take less voltage always work? I'd like advice before I buy a cck and 32gb sd card to put my movies and stuff on.

Also is it better to get a full sized sd or a micro sd with adapter or does it not matter? I know I can get a aftermarket 5-1 cck from eBay for 11 pounds.

Thanks for any advice in advance.

wytey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
giffgaff.com
legendofcurlysgold said:
Hi,

Great forum, I travel a lot and use goodreader and avplayer app for video. I have read that in 4.2.1 the voltage was lowered which made USB hit and miss certain ones would work others not.

My question is do sd cards which presumably take less voltage always work? I'd like advice before I buy a cck and 32gb sd card to put my movies and stuff on.

Also is it better to get a full sized sd or a micro sd with adapter or does it not matter? I know I can get a aftermarket 5-1 cck from eBay for 11 pounds.

Thanks for any advice in advance.

all the ones I tried works fine, different story for the USB one though, only my corsair flash voyager works

icouldsave.co.uk - help save money and the planet!

Hackint0sh814

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've used my CCK with at least a dozen different SD cards, even a microSD with SD adapter and never had one not work. I think you'll de fine no matter what type or size SD you use.

Frenchroll

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Same here, every Sd/micro sd card no matter the capacity or class has worked fine for me, remember even if you have say an avi or flv file that you need to play in avplayer hd, you can use ifile to setup a link so you don't have to store the file on the iPad itself to view it!!

Last edited:

Hackint0sh814

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Frenchroll said:
Same here, every Sd/micro sd card no matter the capacity or class has worked fine for me, remember even if you have say an avi or flv file that you need to play in avplayer hd, you can use ifile to setup a link so you don't have to store the file on the iPad itself to view it!!

+1 on the AVplayerHD. I've got a 64GB iPad and I still use my 16GB microSD card for storing movies and watching them.

OP
legendofcurlysgold
Reaction score
Great replies. I'm getting a sd card and using avplayerhd I wasn't too bothered about USB functionality. I just need more storage for movies when I'm stuck in hotels with foreign tv its either get this working or lug my beasty dell 1525 about :)

I have bought the kit and a sd online need to wait for delivery, in the meantime could you please explain this process for me please?

Do I have to put the files in a specific folder on the card?

How do I setup the link for avplayerhd using ifile?

Thanks in advance.

Frenchroll

iPF Noob
Reaction score
legendofcurlysgold said:
Great replies. I'm getting a sd card and using avplayerhd I wasn't too bothered about USB functionality. I just need more storage for movies when I'm stuck in hotels with foreign tv its either get this working or lug my beasty dell 1525 about :)

I have bought the kit and a sd online need to wait for delivery, in the meantime could you please explain this process for me please?

Do I have to put the files in a specific folder on the card?

How do I setup the link for avplayerhd using ifile?

Thanks in advance.

I assume you are jailbroken, install ifile from cydia if you haven't already, load up your files anywhere on Sd card, no specific folder needed, pop the Sd accessory into iPad, open ifile and if you select sidebar button you will see your flash drive under short cuts, select it then hit edit in top right corner, then select the file you want to create a link for, then in the bottom right corner tap the clip board, then tap copy/link, then select done, then select applications under short cuts select applications, then avplayer hd , then documents, then edit, then clip board, then create link, then done, so the next time you go into avplayer hd app you will see links from Sd card :)...ps if when you select applications under settings and you see a bunch of letters and numbers instead of app names, simply tap settings in bottom left corner then turn on application names.....this process can be used with many apps on iPad like good reader, beatmaker 2 etc....

Last edited:

marklilley

iPF Noob
Reaction score
CCK and AVPlayerHD

Hi there,

Excuse the dumb post, not an iPad expert by any means. I've just bought an iPad2 32Gb and also purchased AVPlayerHD for it; very pleased with both!

Just wondering if it's as simple as buy a CCK, plug it in and then copy / play videos through AVPlayerHD?

My iPad iS NOT jailbroken and I don't really fancy doing it, as still under warranty.

Any help or advice greatly appreciated.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi there,

Excuse the dumb post, not an iPad expert by any means. I've just bought an iPad2 32Gb and also purchased AVPlayerHD for it; very pleased with both!

Just wondering if it's as simple as buy a CCK, plug it in and then copy / play videos through AVPlayerHD?

My iPad iS NOT jailbroken and I don't really fancy doing it, as still under warranty.

No sorry, you won't be able to play videos through AVPlayerHD via the CCK without jailbreaking your iPad and unfortunately there is no JB for the iPad2 at the moment anyway.

Have a look at this thread for some potential solutions for additional storage without JB or CCK - http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-help/30842-need-more-storage.html?highlight=external+drive

Last edited:

HedgeHogLuvva

iPF Noob
Reaction score
marklilley said:
Hi there,

What you need to do is create the following folders on a compatible usb pendrive or sd/mmc card

Root/dcim/100msdcf

The movie file then needs to be

DscXXXXX.mp4

Where XXXXX is between 00001 to 99999

Once above is done, insert usb drive or card, go into photos and import, once imported, goto photos, you will see photo icons, but the video will have a video camera icon as well, press it to play

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
What you need to do is create the following folders on a compatible usb pendrive or sd/mmc card

Root/dcim/100msdcf

The movie file then needs to be

DscXXXXX.mp4

Where XXXXX is between 00001 to 99999

Once above is done, insert usb drive or card, go into photos and import, once imported, goto photos, you will see photo icons, but the video will have a video camera icon as well, press it to play

Are you sure this will work for all the formats of movies that AVPlayerHD supports - XVID,AVI,WMV,RMVB,ASF,H264,MKV… ?

I don't think it will and it is misleading given the OP's original question. AFAIK, your solution is only for video that is supported by the default app...

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts