What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

if you sold your ipad2 for ipad3, how much did you get it?

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks! The info helped. Now to decide if I want to go this route or try and sell via other means? Hmmm. :)

Wish I had decided sooner to get the new iPad...I don't have a pre-order. Hoping maybe I can grab one at Walmart or Target, not sure what time they are staring to sell though. :(

I heard someplace that they start at 8am, or at least the Apple store does. Don't know if that is true or not.

As for selling...it really depends on your comfort zone. I think you can get more on ebay, but you have to know what you're doing and I don't, and didn't feel like trying to figure that out over the last week. I do hate to leave money on the tablet, but sometimes it's the better option, as your and my time is worth something. I'm going to try to be better prepared in the future.

BrianL

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just sold my iPad 2 on eBay for a Buy it Now price of $375. I am very happy with that.

Wildfire

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I know this is confusing as there are several options. IMO, I sold it to Amazon because I didn't list it. However, it was bought my a third-party merchant, and I have no idea who that is. The price was decided ahead of time based on model and condition. Amazon paid the shipping, give me a shipping label via UPS, and gave me a date by which I had to get it shipped. They gave me a tracking number. I saw when it arrived and when it went into processing. Finally, a credit was posted on my gift card.

If you look in your account on Amazon you will see they have a "Trade-in Account". I had never used it before, but it has been there for a good while now. So, I the funds came from a third party, but it was all done through the Amazon trade in account. The funds come from a third-party merchant which is clearly NOT Amazon.

After watching how this has all transpired (including looking at the reports given by others on how they sold their iPad and for how much), I will probably get a new iPad every year, as long as I can get at min 60% for the old one. Keep it in perfect condition by putting a skin on it and keeping it in a good case. Then, the next year, I'll sell it on eBay for more (if I'm willing to part with it -- this time I had to be without my iPad for 1 week, 1 day - I want to minimize that time). If I can get at least 60%, preferably 70-75%, then I think it makes good sense to just get a new one every year.

I use my tablet every day for many different things so I think this makes sense. I think next year we will have a 128GB option. I want that. :)

Great information which will help me selling my "not-yet-received" iPad 3 next year or whenever the next one comes out.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I just heard that Apple itself will by back an iPad 2!!! Unfortunatly, they only offered $155 for my iPad 2 when Amazon offered $414. Now what exactly does this imply?

Last edited:

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Dragonrider said:
Full original price of $859, including case.

That's excellent, congrats!!!! How did you get that price out of them with the new iPad coming???!

Sent from my Verizon Black 64GB iPad 2 w IOS 5.1 Update From NYC!!! using iPF.net

iRaptor25

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I sold my black 16g wifi iPad 2 for $350 a week ago.

Had I expected to sell and upgrade I would have done it before the price drop and gotten a lot more, but my iPad 2 had two corners somewhat significantly dented, one scratch, some light bleeding and a slight screen defect so I figured it wouldn't sell well so I'd just stick with it. Took it to the Apple store (a hour away which is why I hadn't gone before) on the last day of warranty on a whim and they actually replaced it for the light bleeding/screen defect in all of 5 minutes, so I got a nice refurbished one that I could sell easier. At that point a refurbished one was $350 on Apple's website so I figured that was the fair price, though perhaps someone would have paid more for some reason.

Oh well, it was enough money for me to be able to justify/afford the upgrade and thats what I was looking for.

Last edited:

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
That's excellent, congrats!!!! How did you get that price out of them with the new iPad coming???!

Sent from my Verizon Black 64GB iPad 2 w IOS 5.1 Update From NYC!!! using iPF.net

Well, there is a fool born everyday and there is always someone willing to take advantage of them. Or maybe it was a dear ole rich aunt/uncle who was trying to help someone finance a new toy!

Dumacker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Once I had secured an Ipad 3 for the 16th, I went to ebay to find what completed transactions looked like. I evaluated the condition of my ipad 2 (sweet) and threw in a nice Targus case and charging stand. I added free priority mail shipping. I realized I should get at least 449.00 to justify the switch and high-balled the "buy it now" price to 549.00. With 4 hrs to go on a 3 day post the bidder must have seen how many people had viewed (40) and watched (7) and purchased at the "buy it now" price.

Note: took some good pictures showing the condition of the ipad 2 and Targus Case. In my opinion people are smart enough to know that anyone
can throw stock pictures on-line trying to make an impersonal sale. I try to show in the comments that I am in ernest of trying to give them a
fair deal for something that I value very highly. I have been on ebay for about 10 years with a 100% rating.

A week later I dont know if I would have been so fortunate...

phantom limb syndrome is just as real with a missing ipad

p.s. - cold sweats, blurry vision and trouble sleeping at night :eek:

Good luck tomorrow!!!

Last edited:

Yakuzagang5

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks! The info helped. Now to decide if I want to go this route or try and sell via other means? Hmmm. :)

Wish I had decided sooner to get the new iPad...I don't have a pre-order. Hoping maybe I can grab one at Walmart or Target, not sure what time they are staring to sell though. :(

Wal-Mart is selling at 12:01am March 16th, so in less than 10 hours from now. That's what I'm doing :) will have it before I go to bed tonight lol

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
AQ_OC said:
Well, there is a fool born everyday and there is always someone willing to take advantage of them. Or maybe it was a dear ole rich aunt/uncle who was trying to help someone finance a new toy!

OK, then your new iPad will be a "gift" from family lmao!!! I knew it was something.

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yakuzagang5 said:
Wal-Mart is selling at 12:01am March 16th, so in less than 10 hours from now. That's what I'm doing :) will have it before I go to bed tonight lol

Why Walmart though?? Do they have a good return / warranty policy? Can you still take the device to Apple for servicing?

iRaptor25

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Taking it to Apple for service under the default warranty (and you could still buy Apple Care+ anyway) is completely independent of where you buy it. You don't need an Apple receipt or anything they just check the serial number and if it was sold less than a year ago its covered.

The advantages of Best Buy would be the option of buying their product warranty (though I believe Apple Care + is better anyway), and getting reward zone points if you are a member which would get you $10-$15 back in a coupon. And I suppose they will have better stock if you need to immediately replace it within the 14 day window for a screen issue or something. Apple Store is an Apple store so of course they will be getting supply for the same reason, but otherwise no real advantage over Wal-mart.

Wal-mart would be fine though... I'll call mine and if they can tell me for certain they have the right version and will sell at midnight I might go ahead.

Last edited:

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
OK, then your new iPad will be a "gift" from family lmao!!! I knew it was something.

Oh no...not me... I was talking about the guy who sold the iPad for as much as he paid for it. Either a fool does that, or someone who loves you and is trying to help you out. :)

Frankly, I would not take as much as I paid for something that is a year old & used unless it was unopened or something. I just can't take someone's money that way...

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
AQ_OC said:
Oh no...not me... I was talking about the guy who sold the iPad for as much as he paid for it. Either a fool does that, or someone who loves you and is trying to help you out. :)

Frankly, I would not take as much as I paid for something that is a year old & used unless it was unopened or something. I just can't take someone's money that way...

You are one of the few kind and noble folks out there lol!! ;)

Most reactions

Latest posts