What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iBooks stuck 'waiting'

daktari

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, I attempted to update my iBooks but it froze! It reads 'waiting' and will not open. It was working well before.
I have tried to reboot the iPad. No change. I tried to go to the multi-tasking option but it won't select when I select it there.
I switched off the IPad and switched it back on again. No change.
Is there something I have not tried?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I often see this straighten itself out after a day or so; but if you don't want to wait (or waiting is not working):

Try a reset:

Reset: Hold down the power and home buttons until the Apple logo appears. The iPad will reboot. This usually takes a bit longer than a restart.

Open the App Store, check the update tab. If iBooks is still listed, try updating again.

Or more drastically, tab and hold on the iBooks app until it starts to jiggle, then tap the 'x' to delete it. Go to the App Store and download it again. The problem with this is that you will probably have to download all your books again. If you have non-iTunes eBooks or PDF files in iBooks, you'll probably have to load them again from wherever you got them in the first place. iBooks' books can always be downloaded again from the iBooks Store.

Bingoldsby

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm surprised to discover that iBooks is NOT one of those original apps that CAN'T be removed with the tap and hold method. Learn something new every once in a while, I guess.

All the ePub and PDF iBooks files I had, came right back after the upgrade, so I know that backing up and restoring them is a working function. Just not sure how to do it outside of the upgrade process yet.

Brian - Sent from my iPad using iPF

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts