What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iBooks frustration

grandmat03053

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Equipment IPad 1 running IOS 4.3.5 and Safari to directly download the books from the web page to the IPad. iTunes not involved. these are non-DRM files, confirmed by the seller.

Last edited:

grandmat03053

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thewitt said:
I don't think it's a DRM issue with your books, I think Apple has broken their generic ePub reader as they prepare for their new DRM scheme.

They are under contract with publishers to have an effective DRM model in place. Since that has now been cracked, they need to change it.

Interesting. I can't swear on the forum. Consider it done

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
OK. Just used Safari to download the same book from Project Gutenberg to my iPhone.

The download page came up with the option to "open in iBooks", selected that and it downloaded and opened.

grandmat03053

iPF Noob
Reaction score
KevinJS said:
OK. Just used Safari to download the same book from Project Gutenberg to my iPhone.

The download page came up with the option to "open in iBooks", selected that and it downloaded and opened.

Kevin,
This is happening about half the time, and on my IPad, not IPhone. Perhaps that makes a difference. I don't think a single download is a good enough sampling. And whether or not you can replicate the problem, it is still real. I'm curious, though, did you do the March upgrade to IBooks? I do appreciate your tests, as even negative information is useful.
I've recently seen a few recent posts on the web warning not to do this upgrade. Seeing the problem I'm having, I'm beginning to give the warnings credence. It is telling that one of the problem books loaded quickly and cleanly to bluefire.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I just did a single download to check the problem. I actually have hundreds of books on iTunes which I regularly switch in and out, with never a problem. As I said, iBooks and iTunes are right up to date, as is iOs on the iPhone and iPod. I have kept 5.0.1 on the iPad as I'm considering jailbreaking it.

The more info we can get, whether someone is having problems or not, the better, so we can try to see what causes problems and what does not.

What we are really looking for is any difference between your system and mine, I guess.

Sent from my iPad 4 HD mini

grandmat03053

iPF Noob
Reaction score
syedqurat said:
I am agree with grandmat3053, any one tell more Good stuff.

Syedqurat, are you having the identical problem, and what have you tried?

I've tried re-downloaded the books several times with consistent bad results, tested one of the problem files with bluefire reader with good results, and have rebooted the iPad. I've contacted the ebook seller and confirmed the files are non-DRM. And finally, I've taken a free fiction in text format and ran the file through Calibre software to convert it into ePub format which also did not load into iBooks.

grandmat03053

iPF Noob
Reaction score
KevinJS said:
I just did a single download to check the problem. I actually have hundreds of books on iTunes which I regularly switch in and out, with never a problem. As I said, iBooks and iTunes are right up to date, as is iOs on the iPhone and iPod. I have kept 5.0.1 on the iPad as I'm considering jailbreaking it.

The more info we can get, whether someone is having problems or not, the better, so we can try to see what causes problems and what does not.

What we are really looking for is any difference between your system and mine, I guess.

Hummm. Differences. I don't use iTunes for books, have iPad 1, IOS 4.3.5.

I'll try downloading from Guttenberg and see what happens.

grandmat03053

iPF Noob
Reaction score
KevinJS said:

I just tried to download an ePub file from Gutenberg, Irish Fairy Tales by James Stevens, using Safari from the iPad and it would not load. On the second attempt, it began to load and I saw the cover for a second and then it disappeared.

grandmat03053

iPF Noob
Reaction score
KevinJS said:

Okay, I think I found a way to make this work. When you said 'look at the differences', I did. You kept working through ITunes and I never did, and till the March 7'th up-grade had no problems with downloading files from different web sites into IBooks. I found you have been right all along, that when adding the files into ITunes they would load into IBooks. This is an annoying extra step, but at least it works and books I've bought are readable. There was never any problem with the files, only Apple's control issues.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Good to know. We can chalk this one up as a success then. Happy reading.

DjDuncan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Same problem here, cannot put any more .epub books into iBooks. I used to do this directly from downloaded ones in Safari or, more often, from my Dropbox app. Now every book I select and click "open in iBooks" doesn't work, it just opens the iBooks app and I can see the new book's cover appearing and then it dissapears. This is so frustrating, that's how I got most of my books into iBooks. I even tried deleting a book I already had in iBooks and then importing it again and it didn't work, same problem. Anyone contacted Apple support about this?

DjDuncan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok, now this is weird: just tried the same thing on my iPhone 3GS and it worked! WTF?! With the same ebook from Dropbox, same Apple id etc. What's different between the iPhone and iPad versions of iBooks?

DjDuncan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Great, also tried on my previous iPad (1st gen) and again it works! The only one with this issue is my new iPad (3rd gen). So it's not DRM related, it's not a feature it's a bug.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Have you tried the usual fixes on the iPad 3? If not, give them a go.

Also, with Safari you might try going to Settings > Safari, and Clear Data and Cookies. You'll have to log back into the sites the usually remember you.

When you have problems with an app it's a good idea to clear it from RAM.

Close/Clear the app: With the problem app closed, double tap on the Home button to get the multitask bar. Tap and hold on any icon in the bar until they jiggle, then tap the minus sign on the problem app. This will remove it from RAM and insure a clean start the next time you launch the app. {in your case, do this with both Safari and iBooks.}

If that does not work try a restart,

Restart: Hold down the power button until the power off slider appears. Slide it off. When the iPad finishes shutting down, hold down the power button again until the Apple logo appears. Apple recommends you restart the iPad at least once a month.

and then a reset if that does not work.

Reset: Hold down the power and home buttons until the Apple logo appears. The iPad will reboot. This usually takes a bit longer than a restart.

Most reactions