What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I want to hear from all you 3G ipad owners, has it been worth it?

Harters

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think we must be very lucky in the UK as we get some great PAYG deals especially on T Mobile. I am currently using 3G which has only cost me £20 for 6 months, so it was a no brainer for me and the ability to be able to use iPad anywhere has been great.

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

ghett0tech

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i have wifi only model. i usually just tether with my iPhone when needed. thought about getting the 3G model all for a total of 1 week. not needed in my opinion.

Nakcol24

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It has been totally worth it. GPS was my main reason for getting it plus I'm in school once again and felt that I needed to be connected at all times. I switch it to 3G when I know I'm about to leave the house.

Sent from my iPad 64G 3G using iPF

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think we must be very lucky in the UK as we get some great PAYG deals especially on T Mobile. I am currently using 3G which has only cost me £20 for 6 months, so it was a no brainer for me and the ability to be able to use iPad anywhere has been great.

Yes - I'm always amazed when I see the prices iPad users in the US have to pay. Why is there so little competition there? Like you, I get a great deal in the UK. There are numerous unlimited plans out there for just a few pounds a month. Then I read about US members with 250MB monthly plans at $20 and I think - what????!!! Are they really paying $20 for 250MB? Any cellular provider in the UK who offered that 'deal' would attract exactly zero customers!!

Tim

Beryl

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Tim SPRACKLEN said:
Yes - I'm always amazed when I see the prices iPad users in the US have to pay. Why is there so little competition there? Like you, I get a great deal in the UK. There are numerous unlimited plans out there for just a few pounds a month. Then I read about US members with 250MB monthly plans at $20 and I think - what????!!! Are they really paying $20 for 250MB? Any cellular provider in the UK who offered that 'deal' would attract exactly zero customers!!

Tim

Exactly why many of us didn't choose the 3G model and opt for tethering or smartphone/hotspots. Our data plan prices are outrageous.

noddy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've just migrated to the Three Network. They are offering unlimited data for £15 a month. I just tether using PDANet on my iPhone 3GS and it's perfect.
I get double benefit from this- unlimited data on both my phone and iPad, all on one data plan (should I need it that is). I've yet to leave the house with my iPad though!

I carry my phone with me everywhere I go anyway, so it's really not a problem.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've just migrated to the Three Network. They are offering unlimited data for £15 a month. I just tether using PDANet on my iPhone 3GS and it's perfect.
I get double benefit from this- unlimited data on both my phone and iPad, all on one data plan (should I need it that is). I've yet to leave the house with my iPad though!

I carry my phone with me everywhere I go anyway, so it's really not a problem.

I just love seeing this stuff - to make our American cousins jealous of the UK - yes £15/month ($20/month) for unlimited data....and not just one provider either, but dozens...I rarely use WiFi, why bother when you have '3' (Three) with a country-wide 3G network...

Tim

Beryl

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Tim SPRACKLEN said:
But do you ever use GPS? If you had bought a WiFi iPad you wouldn't have GPS.

Tim

GPS is great and most of us have it in our phones.

KJSmitty

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I do like reading the comments in this thread but,,, again, this is about iPad users/owners WITH 3G. Not about those with GPS enabled phones or tethering options etc. It's obvious that many take the "with or without 3G" threads as a poke in the eye from the opposite camp.... :)

Cheers

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Regret getting a 3G iPad2 I never use 3G

Easy to remedy if you miss the money enough to regret your choice: You can offer to trade with someone with a wi-fi iPad and have that person give you the difference in cash between the 3G and wi-fi model. I bet you'd find a taker easily enough.

Harley man

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Everybody has different needs I have a smart phone that has gps and is 4g that I can tether off of at no cost . 3G in the USA is old news and getting replace by 4 g fast so the 3 g pad will be outdated very soon that why I think sometime tethering makes more sense for some

from USA bucks county pa Sent from my iPad using iPF

JWKessler

iPF Noob
Reaction score
We just returned from a trip up to the St Lawrence, 1000 Islands area in Canada. I brought my Verizon 3G iPad 2 loaded with MotionX GPS. We were able to connect to the Verizon network from within Canada, as long as we didn't go too far from the border. I downloaded maps of the area before we left home, so i could used the app without a connection, but since we had a connection in most places, the google satellite views were available and were incredibly helpful. It's really neat to tap one button and see a satellite view of the spot you are currently in. The GPS function was incredibly useful to us.

One point I should make is how few places we found WIFI up there. Even McDonalds didn't have WiFi. The only place I had wifi on the entire trip was in the motel, and even there I had to wait each day while they got me a new access code.

I was very happy to have the 3G feature available on this trip.

That said, we had at least one case where the GPS quit working. I rebooted the iPad and it started working again.

Jaxtah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim SPRACKLEN said:
I just love seeing this stuff - to make our American cousins jealous of the UK - yes £15/month ($20/month) for unlimited data....and not just one provider either, but dozens...I rarely use WiFi, why bother when you have '3' (Three) with a country-wide 3G network...

Tim

Hi Tim,

I will be back 'home' in the UK for a month at the end of July, and would like to get a 3g plan just for the month I am there. Can you recommend any particular provider who will allow a month only contract?
I don't use the 3g here as wifi is readily accessible nearly everywhere.
Thanks in advance.

Sent from here  to there on my iPad2 using iPF

Most reactions

Latest posts