What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I want to hear from all you 3G ipad owners, has it been worth it?

laserguy007

iPF Novice
Reaction score
JWKessler said:
I figured if I was going to be investing in an iPad, it would be silly to cheap out only to regret it later, so I got the 3G version (Verizon) and maxed out the memory. It took longer to save up for it, but I figure I won't be tempted to replace it in a few months after realizing I needed more capability.

That said, I've yet to sign up for 3G service - but i've only had this thing for a couple of weeks.

I do have a question relating to that. Do you have to be in range of a WiFi signal in order to sign up for 3G service? Or does it let you sign up using the 3g connection? I was thinking I would sign up when I actually needed the service, but I'm not sure if that is possible.

I asked this question in the local Verizon store and got an answer that indicated the clerk was just making something up.

No you do not have to be in range of wifi just turn cellular on and then press view account and it will ask you to input all your billing info then it will ask to choose a plan. I went with the 3GB for $35 basic was to small of a plan.

Sent from my iPad 2 White 64GB + 3G Verizon using iPF

JWKessler

iPF Noob
Reaction score
laserguy007 said:
No you do not have to be in range of wifi just turn cellular on and then press view account and it will ask you to input all your billing info then it will ask to choose a plan. I went with the 3GB for $35 basic was to small of a plan.

Sent from my iPad 2 White 64GB + 3G Verizon using iPF

Thanks for the confirmation. That is theological way to have done it, but some times logic just doesn't seem to get inti the final product.

0pawwap0

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Team apple is the best..
I love my iPad 1 wifi+3G, is has all i want in one device...im hoping to get an iPad 2 64 gb wifi+3G or should i wait for the iPad 3?

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Attachments

• image-3101404745.png
    image-3101404745.png
    160.1 KB · Views: 297

Irish Rose

iPF Noob
Reaction score
0pawwap0 said:
Team apple is the best..
I love my iPad 1 wifi+3G, is has all i want in one device...im hoping to get an iPad 2 64 gb wifi+3G or should i wait for the iPad 3?

The iPad 3 in all likelihood will not be out till next Spring, so I guess whether you wait for it or not depends on if you really need to get the iPad 2 right now.

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

Irish Rose

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the AT&T 64GB WiFi + 3G iPad 2. Even though I get most of my data by tethering with my Jailbroken iPhone 4, I still think having the 3G model as a backup is worth it to me.

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

IdealDevil

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I really regret not buying an iPad 3G I had enough money to buy one but didn't think I would wanna use it outside the house much. If I ever save enough money to buy an iPad 2 I would def get 3G

SaberOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I recently ordered the 3g64 simply because… Besides, I’ll be traveling to FL and onward to Europe so I’m sure it will be more useful. Yes, it cost more but I really could not justify the cost unless it had all it could be. I mean lets face it; the current iPad(s) are limited already, so no sense to dumb-it-down any further. My MacPro was another story since I could readily upgrade the storage and memory myself and incrementally.

Macette

iPF Novice
Reaction score
IdealDevil said:
I really regret not buying an iPad 3G I had enough money to buy one but didn't think I would wanna use it outside the house much. If I ever save enough money to buy an iPad 2 I would def get 3G

Yes your right I got the 3G I was not so worried about the size I got 16g because most of my stuff is stored on the iMac, but I do intend to take it travelling so I figured 16 is big enough for my best photos and my necessary files. Mostly my iPad is at home for surfing and playing. I think u only need the 64 if you don't have a desk top. You only need to keep the Best Of on u iPad .

Squirrel71

iPF Noob
Reaction score
mobi1 said:
I don't see any point in 3G models. If you have any smart phone, with suitable app, you can turn it into Wifi hotspot. Then simply connect your iPad.

Yes, but for one, that is tedious. And if you go overseas, you have to change your phone SIM, or incur heavy Roaming charges. I would rather keep my cell# the same and instead swap the ipad's sim to a local one. That seems to be a better solution to me.
It's not tedious at all. I go into settings on my iPhone, under Personal Hotspot, I flick the button to "on". I only had to put the security password in the iPad once. I tap "iPhone" under available networks, and I'm done. :confused:

Driii333

iPF Noob
Reaction score
suz26 said:
Yes your right I got the 3G I was not so worried about the size I got 16g because most of my stuff is stored on the iMac, but I do intend to take it travelling so I figured 16 is big enough for my best photos and my necessary files. Mostly my iPad is at home for surfing and playing. I think u only need the 64 if you don't have a desk top. You only need to keep the Best Of on u iPad .

I signed up for Att 3G initially. I used it occasionally because wifi is pretty accessible. But, what I found that has worked the best has been the 3G hotspot application on my Motorola Defy phone. I upgraded my OS and it was installed automatically. I am on Tmobile and my phone plan gives me 5g of data. I have been watching HBOGO at lunch time, catching up on series. If you can get a hotspot on your phone, I thank you will be pleased.

Jennifer0

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPhone and iPad 3G owners: Do you feel that you get a lot of use out of your iPad's 3G, or do you feel that you don't use it much since you have the iPhone? iPhone and iPad Wi-Fi owners: Do you wish you had 3G on your iPad even though you have an iPhone, or do you find it to not be a problem?

Petdr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Jennifer0 said:
iPhone and iPad 3G owners: Do you feel that you get a lot of use out of your iPad's 3G, or do you feel that you don't use it much since you have the iPhone? iPhone and iPad Wi-Fi owners: Do you wish you had 3G on your iPad even though you have an iPhone, or do you find it to not be a problem?

I have the iPhone 4 and I use my 3G on my iPad a lot when i'm traveling. I've often found the wifi to be intermittent at best, so it is just more convenient for me to activate my 3G the months I know I'll be traveling. I get a lot of use from my 3G, in fact, I used it up in 2 weeks last month. I feel I made the right decision for me purchasing the 3G model.

m3incorp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the wifi only...hopefully that doesn't rate me as being dumb lo. I travel and have never been anywhere that I couldn't find a wifi connection when I needed to use my iPad 2. Having a smart phone is what I consider mobile and I use that for internet when I'm truly mobile. Plus if you go with the cell carrier there is a monthly expense to use that 3G or tether.

Destroyer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have my iphone and because the nature of my job I don't really have time to sat down and a movie or something else so for me the iPad wifi was my selection. One thing is for sure I spend less time on my computer since I bought my ipad

JWKessler

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I didn't expect to be using the 3G much, but take my iPad with me when I go out exploring. For instance, this summer we decided to take a driving tour of the Erie Canal in New York state. Printed maps don't show the locations of the locks, but I can find them nicely at home with google earth. I bought a map program for the iPad called MotionX GPS that offers a mix of downloaded maps along with Bing and Google Maps and Bing and Google satellite views. The Bing and Google features require an internet connection. I found the points of interest in MotionX GPS at home and set way points for each. I then use the Garmin GPS in my car to get close to the point, then fire up MotionX GPS with 3G to find the actual location. Some of these are way down back roads and would be hard to get to without this combination.

My first month of 3G is about up and so far I've used less than a third of my 1GB, so for my usage, the $20.00 a month level seems to work just fine.

I also have found that quite a few eating places do not offer WiFi so the 3G can be quite handy for other things as well. For instance we will use Wikipedia to learn about the places we have just visited as we eat lunch at some local restaurant.

Most reactions

Latest posts