What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I want to hear from all you 3G ipad owners, has it been worth it?

bocaspbx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the 64G 3G AT&T version. For me the need of 3G becomes necessity essential when I travel outside the united state. I travel to Central America about 3-4 times a year and most mobile carriers support GSM. I can get a pre-paid data plan for around $8 for 15 days and use my Ipad as needed. This works for me.

richrocks

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Goodness gracious. Are we all STILL trying to prove to each other that only YOUR choice was the smart choice!?

Have we all not yet learned from this thread that there is no right or wrong choice? Just a choice that suits the user!?

Goodness gracious me.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You know, if you actually pay for a hotspot on your cell phone it will run you $29.99 per month (on Sprint) per phone while the 3g on the iPad is only $14.99. If you're lucky enough to be able to hack your phone so you can get a free hotspot then that's great. I hacked my Palm Pre pretty easily but when I change phones soon, I will be out of luck. I'm so glad that I got the 3g pad. It makes life so much easier.

From what I have been told and learned from Mr. Google, you can use a 4G hotspot. True, false . . .?

So my iPad can be faster than a 3G device.

So there, na na na na Naaaa Naaaa.

akintomide

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I love my 3G iPad Classic. For obvious reasons, I prefer to you the WIFI more now since I should have my laptop connected to the Internet as well. I have seen it somewhere that I can use my iPad to tether to my laptop and benefit from the ipad 3G. That may be a better alternative. For now, I am very satisfied.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

madhatter61

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have both and wouldn't have it any other way. I just need to be able to access the internet on a dime and not worry about it.

True, and thats why i think getting a wifi only ipad is dumb. Its like buying a wifi only iphone or blackberry. Doesnt make any sense. Could you image if all of us blackberry and iphone users had to rely on wifi networks 100% of the time?

I just see the wifi only ipads really limited and kind of defeats the purpose of even bringing it out with you. Unless you dont and just use it at home then thats different. But I didnt pay almost $700 to use the ipad only in my house or coffee shop or someone elses house - you get the point. With 3G you can use it in your car parked in the middle of nowhere, you can use it in the park during summer time, you can use it in the woods when you go hiking!
Yes there is convenience in a single package ... tethering has one big issue, battery life in the cell phone ... not very long.

However, here's another scenario ... I got Wi-Fi only because I have Mi-Fi (5 channel wireless router ... Verizon $100 ... had for almost 2 years). Now they are starting to promote 4G. None of the current models of iPad... 1 or 2 ... are equipped with 4G. For me all I have to do is spend another $100 for 4G. All those with built in will have to buy a whole different iPad. FWIW.;)

terry.k.morrow

iPF Noob
Reaction score
One other advantage 3G model has, which I learned the hard way, is the Find My iPhone feature works much better due to 3G coming equipped also with GPS. The wifi only models have to be connected to the Internet for you to locate it. I lost mine on a flight, and couldn't track it later when I realized it.

madhatter61

iPF Noob
Reaction score
mobi1 said:
I don't see any point in 3G models. If you have any smart phone, with suitable app, you can turn it into Wifi hotspot. Then simply connect your iPad.

Agreed. My tiny Palm Pre cell phone is always with me when I'm away, makes a nice free hotspot, and has GPS. Wifi is almost everywhere I go so I rarely need to use it anyway.

I may think differently when I'm ready to switch cell phones next year. Other phones don't make hotspots for free on Verizon.

(The only thing I regret is paying so much for the 64GB model. 16 or 32 GB would have worked for me. )

I was planning on 32GB ... but dear wife convinced me 64GB would be better. Cloud computing is not always convenient ... never cheap ... not as fast as on board. We travel a lot in a camper ... I can load up a dozen movies, books, etc and don't have to even think about accessing my music on a server somewhere. In this case bigger is a lot better. An extra 32GB for $100 ... vs $50 per month for 5GB capped ... do the math. FWIW

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OP response.

Well... I got the 32GB 3G and I found myself not traveling as much as anticipated. Furthermore when I leave I usually chicken out of bringing the iPad for fear of damaging it. So over almost a year each outing was costly but well worth it still.

CloudSpy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Being that I work in an office most of the day I was hesitant on how much I would rely on 3G. However, I must say that having 3G has been great, due to the fact that my employer uses website blocking software to block anything non work related. So it is nice to not have to worry about being blocked or my activities being monitored; not that I go to inappropriate websites or anything.

litldannyh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bookbacker.com
Tapmyapple said:
Paying for the 3G that is. Cause to me, having a wifi only ipad is kinda pointless and dumb. Ipad is something most people would want to bring with them everywhere, so with a wifi only you have to always rely on a wifi network to connect whereas 3G you always have a connection no matter where you are. Glad I got the 3G.

I want to hear from you 3G owners how you found it so far? Any of you regret it and find you dont use 3G much?

I bought the 3G iPad2 64 so that I would have 3G if I needed it. But I dispise the idea of paying for another cel data service. So, I haven't signed up for iPad 3G service & I'm seeing how well I can live without it. Afterall, I have my iPhone 4 if I need something off the web when no wifi is around.
I use the iPhone GPS services for travel & finding whatever I need. I use the iPhone for audiobooks & music.
I use the iPad for news & entertainment & office apps.

So far I have wifi at home, and usually wifi at work as travel around the country with my work. And when I don't have wifi, like on a plane ... I watch a movie or listen to an audiobook....or do offline work.

So far thats working well for me.

clrk9000

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I got Ipad 64 3G as I dont have a smartphone now due to expensive voice plus data plans. In the past, I just make do of a netbook when travelling and a cheap voice plan phone. You could just imagine the hassle of always looking for a free wifi connection.

I have wifi connection both at home and office which is my justification for not getting an additional data plan.

However when Ipad 3G came out, I know I have to get it as there is 15Dollars 250meg plan. This is just perfect for those in between home and office and I need to access a site or send/receive an important urgent email. 15 bucks a month to throw away is not so bad for the convenience it offers.

Ipad with 3G is so much convenient. I wish there was a "by the use data plan" instead of a recurring 15dollars a month whether you actually use it or not.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ipad with 3G is so much convenient. I wish there was a "by the use data plan" instead of a recurring 15dollars a month whether you actually use it or not.

Don't know about where you live, but where I live there's no obligation to renew your data plan nonstop. Lots of people sign up for 3G service only when they travel. You might want to check with your carrier(s). You might be overlooking that option.

kustard

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I got 32GB WiFi + 3G, for me it was worth it. I don't use 3G all the time but I like to take my iPad out and about with me and it is so frustrating when you can't connect to the Internet. I am using a PAYG sim card so it doesn't cost much, I just pay when I need it :)

Most reactions