What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"I just cant justify the cost...ipad 2 is too expensive!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lord Blackmore

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use an EeePC at work that can do many things an ipad is incapable of doing & I bought it new with Windows XP Pro for $189.00. I need a PC

A laptop/netbook is a completely different animal. The iPad can do lots of things you can't do on netbook and compares quite favorably if you add a wireless iPad keyboard.

There are things my iPad2 does that my netbook can't or isn't as good at. That's not a good or bad thing. It's just different.

I'll be the first to say that the iPad2 could be a couple hundred bucks cheaper (depending on model). Leaving the "apple tax" out of the picture, the iPad2 compares quite well with current Android tablet offerings, once you look at the price without a contract (for android).

So we pay a bit more because it's Apple, but otherwise, pricing is more or less in line with Android.

As far as being "too expensive" and "can't justify the cost", well, that applies to everything anyone buys. For some the iPad2 is worth every nickel we pay for it. For other's it's just an expensive extravagance.

Horse for courses and to each their own.

extendedforecast

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ha ha. I just finished reading this thread. Its interesting because I was thinking about this this weekend.

I like to go to the racetrack...and I noticed a group of people I handicap with at Belmont Park in NYC all have tablets running 3g. Annotated pdfs, calculators, live tote boards galore. But this month we just went to Louisville for Derby and Baltimore for Preakness and no one had tablets at all.

I wonder if it has to do with 3g/4g network infastructure saturation. Its so ubiquitous in NYC that other infastructure has been built around it. To use the new subway smart pass (like londons oyster card) you need a micro sd card (or special case for iphone.) You need a certain smartphone app now to get the bus schedule. To order food on the go you need a mobile with seamless web or grub hub apps as places won't let you call in with a card anymore. You can't get directions anymore. People just expect you to put it in google maps. You would be looked at totally funny for asking "how do you get there?" I'm also an avid birder and no one in this city goes out without a twitter feed to report/receive sightings. There are no list like compliation platforms anymore for the city because the user generated content has migrated to.microblogging!

I think all these things make tablet adoption so much easier and more "socially acceptable." No one balks at the price because its considered if not exactly a necessisty then a huge increase in quality of life.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

wug

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Same like other member was saying, Ipad 2 in my country (ex.Romania) is 2 months salary. Now, depends where you go at and what you do... Unlike Iphone, Ipad users are definitely more into business related activities, IT, gadget oriented... so that explain why people need it. Personal, i consider a dumb question "Why do you need it?". Well, before start asking this kind of question, think a little. I think in this period, most people are looking for more comfort, of course comfort means money spend mostly.

Shakedaddy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would never, never consider buying an iPad much less an iPad 2 but I won a free iPad 2 for doing a good job at work and now I'm playing with the damn thing every day after work and I always keep it close beside me, on the couch.

Reading books and comic books is all I've used it for so far and even with that it's been awesome. You have to hold it in your hands and own it to understand...

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would never, never consider buying an iPad much less an iPad 2 but I won a free iPad 2 for doing a good job at work and now I'm playing with the damn thing every day after work and I always keep it close beside me, on the couch.

Reading books and comic books is all I've used it for so far and even with that it's been awesome. You have to hold it in your hands and own it to understand...

This is very true! Great post.;)

Andyvalver

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Shakedaddy said:

Ha ha I agree. People just don't get it until they have a play with one and then they can't put it down.

sent from iPad

Blueface

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For a great part of the world, the iPad 2 is a toy.
A luxury.
Not a necessity.

That said, even if it made coffee for you and predicted the end of the world, if you can't afford it, you can't afford it.

Some that can afford it, choose not to. They prefer to use their money for something else, or nothing at all.

Some can't afford it and find ways to, even if at high interest or theft.

Some can not only afford one, they can afford a second and third.

Me, I feel blessed that I got to have an iPad.
When the iPad 2 came out, I was number 20 in line on launch day at my local Apple store. Paid for that same day.
If an iPad 3 came out tomorrow, just two months post the 2, I would be there in line to buy it also and give my 2 to my wife.

The point of all this rambling is we all have diverse reasons why we do what we do with our money and what it is we can and cannot do with it.

One's personal decision one way may never be justified to someone else who doesn't see things your way or is not in a financial position to do so. To that person, they can hold it all day, feel it, love it, want it, but just can't buy it as they have other priorities.

So..............since no one pays my bills and since I don't pay anyone's bills, what I do with my money and what anyone else does with theirs, is a personal choice, not to be ridiculed or questioned by anyone.

As price goes, again, how does Apple compare to all the other tablets on the market?
Very comparably I would say.

Last edited:
OP
T

Tapmyapple

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use an EeePC at work that can do many things an ipad is incapable of doing & I bought it new with Windows XP Pro for $189.00. I need a PC

A laptop/netbook is a completely different animal. The iPad can do lots of things you can't do on netbook and compares quite favorably if you add a wireless iPad keyboard.

There are things my iPad2 does that my netbook can't or isn't as good at. That's not a good or bad thing. It's just different.

I'll be the first to say that the iPad2 could be a couple hundred bucks cheaper (depending on model). Leaving the "apple tax" out of the picture, the iPad2 compares quite well with current Android tablet offerings, once you look at the price without a contract (for android).

So we pay a bit more because it's Apple, but otherwise, pricing is more or less in line with Android.

As far as being "too expensive" and "can't justify the cost", well, that applies to everything anyone buys. For some the iPad2 is worth every nickel we pay for it. For other's it's just an expensive extravagance.

Getting a keyboard for teh ipad is just dumb - sorry but if i ever saw someone using one id fall to the floor laughing. It totally defeats teh purpose of the tablet. Its like wearing a suit, then wearing another suit on top. Uhhh. Why not bring speakers and a fold up chair with you as well? If you cant type on the ipad, then you should have never bought one in the first place. This is what a laptop is for.

Last edited:

Blueface

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Getting a keyboard for teh ipad is just dumb - sorry but if i ever saw someone using one id fall to the floor laughing. It totally defeats teh purpose of the tablet. Its like wearing a suit, then wearing another suit on top. Uhhh. Why not bring speakers and a fold up chair with you as well? If you cant type on the ipad, then you should have never bought one in the first place. This is what a laptop is for.

While I totally agree in theory as I too would never get a keyboard for my iPad, I don't agree having one is dumb at all.
It is a preference thing. Folks with them probably feel they have the best of both worlds as they can use it if they want and not use it if they don't.
Obviously, enough people want them that it is a lucrative business.
However, I agree the intent of the design was obviously not to use one. If I want a keyboard, I head over to my MacBook.

Jembie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Shakedaddy said:

WOW that is awesome! Congrats.
I did a good job at work and won a £25 iTunes voucher ;)

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tapmyapple said:

I can type on the iPad but if I need to type a lot or a long doc then I use an apple wireless keyboard.......just because you think it's dumb doesn't necessarily make you the model iPad user......oh and I have a laptop but hell, when I'm travelling why would I lug that around with me when I can take my lightweight iPad and lightweight keyboard?

The Archangel

Wookiee2cu

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Well if the ipad will do what you want and you don't need the capabilities of a laptop I can understand getting a keyboard for it if you are going to be doing quite a bit of typing. You also get the app store and more than likely the battery life is a lot better than your standard laptop.

Feanor

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tapmyapple said:

Ye gods, comments like this is why people laugh at Apple "geeks" so much.

I'm writing this on my wireless keyboard, after reading your **** post lying on the sofa. I couldn't have done that with a laptop. But equally, I couldn't write this post anywhere near as fast or as easily using the on-screen keypad. So I sat up, put my keyboard on my lap, and sat the iPad on the arm of the sofa.

Each to his own. Just because someone does something different to you doesn't mean it's "dumb". Maybe when you're a bit older you'll realise that.

Last edited by a moderator:

Blueface

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tapmyapple said:

Ye gods, comments like this is why people laugh at Apple "geeks" so much.

I'm writing this on my wireless keyboard, after reading your idiotic post lying on the sofa. I couldn't have done that with a laptop. But equally, I couldn't write this post anywhere near as fast or as easily using the on-screen keypad. So I sat up, put my keyboard on my lap, and sat the iPad on the arm of the sofa.

Each to his own. Just because someone does something different to you doesn't mean it's "dumb". Maybe when you're a bit older you'll realise that.

While I personally agree "dumb" was a poor choice of words on his part and likely inciteful, "idiotic" adds even less value.
Just two cents from an old man.

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I think what people forget that constant tapping of a glass screen can eventually make your fingers ache, I'm older, I'll admit it, and I do get this ache so having a BT keyboard is easier on my fingers. I'm assuming Tapmyapple is young and is used to tapping a screen all day long but a keyboard helps me so laugh all you like if that makes you feel better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts