What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I have a problems transfering a video from ipad to pc..

Andyvalver

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just returned from holiday and while there I made a small iMovie of our time on my iPhone. I transferred it to my iPad 3 using the camera kit as it was taking up too much space on my iPhone. I then plugged my iPad into my pc like normal and without iTunes I normally go to my computer, iPad and copy my photos from there.

However, it fails every time to copy the video to my pc desktop or anywhere else. I tried using the camera wizard feature and that gets to 100% before failing as in the pics posted.

Any help would be appreciated as I'm stuck with the vid on my iPad now...

Andy.

Sent from my iPad 3

Attachments

• image-2575082370.jpg
    image-2575082370.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 444
  • image-514573935.jpg
    image-514573935.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 575

Jockscrap

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I don't have a camera connection kit so can't advise on that, but I have transferred iMovies to my pc via iTunes. Can you try doing it that way? Forgive me if I'm giving info you already know. To transfer, go to iMovies on your iPad and choose to send the movie via the iTunes option. When you connect your iPad to the pc, the movie will show in the file sharing bit of the iMovies app within iTunes from where you can then save to your pc. Even a short film a few minutes long, seems to take ages to go through the send to iTunes process.

Attachments

• image-278181666.jpg
    image-278181666.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 418
OP
A

Andyvalver

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Cheers mate. I've just tried that and it works to get it to my pc but it comes as a imoviemobile file which is useless as I can't get anything to play it. I want to be able to convert it to burn it to disc.

Sent from my iPad 3

Jockscrap

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Andyvalver said:
Cheers mate. I've just tried that and it works to get it to my pc but it comes as a imoviemobile file which is useless as I can't get anything to play it. I want to be able to convert it to burn it to disc.

Sent from my iPad 3
Ah. Good point. That method saves a backup copy of your movie you can continue to edit in iMovies. I don't like backing up movies to the cloud as they take up so much of my free 5gb so I back them up this way.

When you originally tried to transfer the video from the iPad, was it in your camera roll?
You may well know the following info, but it may be useful to someone.

First go to iMovies, and send the finished movie to the camera roll. This could take a while. Once completed, connect up your iPad to the pc using the USB cable. The iPad will show as a storage device in Computer. Expand iPad so it shows internal storage, then expand again to show the DCIM folder and then again to show another couple of folders. On my computer the first folder is named 800OTKMJ ( I presume it is the same for everyone) This is where the movie it stored and it can be simply dragged and dropped from here in to a folder on your pc. This version is a QuickTime movie so will play no problem.

OP
A

Andyvalver

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Cheers mate. I'll give that a whirl later on and post back. Thanks for the help :-D

Sent from my iPad 3

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
On Windows computers the iPad shows up as a USB drive. Navigate to it as you would any other drive and open the DCIM folder. All Camera Roll and imported pictures and videos are stored there. Imported stuff is in subfolders, so check those out. Files can be copied or drug to the computer just like a normal USB drive.

I don't recommend deleting files directly from the USB drive. When you are ready to delete do it from the Photos app on the iPad.

OP
A

Andyvalver

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Grrr on my pc when I connect via USB iTunes opens. I close it but in my computer my iPad shows up as iPad, not a storage device. It shows me all the pics ect.. But that's how I had the original problem. It seems to crash or become unresponsive when at 100% copied to my pc"

Sent from my iPad 3

Midranger4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Andyvalver said:
Grrr on my pc when I connect via USB iTunes opens. I close it but in my computer my iPad shows up as iPad, not a storage device. It shows me all the pics ect.. But that's how I had the original problem. It seems to crash or become unresponsive when at 100% copied to my pc"

Sent from my iPad 3

Detect new hardware from windows manager when connected via USB. Sounds like you incidentally selected no prompt on connect.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The USB drive mount and iTunes opening up should not interfere with each other. I can't help with the first. I'm not using Windows these days, or at least not more than once every month or two.

You can go to Preference in iTunes, the Devices tab, and prevent your iDevices from syncing automatically. You can still sync manually by clicking on the Sync button.

When the device is connected and selected in iTunes, you can go to the summary page and uncheck Open iTunes when this iPad is connected. If you've already prevented syncing in iTune Preferences, this option will be unchecked and greyed out.

Jockscrap

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Andyvalver said:

Sent from my iPad 3

The iPad will be listed as 'iPad' in Computers on the PC. iTunes auto opens with me too but doesn't cause a problem.

Once you've located the file in the iPad as a storage device as I detailed in my earlier post it should just be a drag and drop process to get it on to your pc.
I wonder if the movie file is corrupted in some way. Have you tried playing it all the way through from the camera roll? What about going back to imovies, altering the movie in some small way, then save again to the camera roll and go through the process of saving to your pc again.

It really shouldn't be this hard. Sorry you are having problems. What a pain.

OP
A

Andyvalver

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Cheers guys. I managed to get the file when I put my iPad on the laptop we have cuz it showed up as a portable device. What a pain in the ass lol. Apple are crap for this kind of thing.

Sent from my iPad 3

Most reactions