What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I don't understand why the Apple case is so hard to find?!

XciteMe

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Excuse me for my exclamation point, but I really am frustrated as I'm typing this.

After the exhaustive searching to track down an iPad in stores, now I have to hunt more, for the official Apple case. The nice black one that folds into a slanted position.

I mean, is this case selling at a 1:1 ratio for every iPad sold? Probably not, so then why is literally every store in Southern California sold out? I really don't think a shortage of cases is cool, because once we buy our $600-$800 devices, we should have protection options for them.

Any luck finding them? How long is the wait on the Apple website? It says 3-4 weeks until shipment, and that's RIDICULOUS. I'm not waiting a month for my case.

Isenguard

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yah good luck finding one. I was lucky enough to walk in the Aplle store one day and there it was, hanging on the shelf :). Interestingly, there were a few of them available. But of course this was before I realized the amount of demand for it...

GailLA

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I only have one because I ordered it online at the same time I ordered my iPad. The case came a week after the iPad and the Camera Connection Kit came a few days after that. I'd order online at this point. You will get one after a wait, but you will be in the queue. In the meantime, I found that a $12 padded sleeve helped protect it. But you are right, before I got the case, I didn't carry it around unless it was in the padded sleeve.

r1200gsa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have been hunting for 3 weeks. Still cant find one. I did buy a padded carry case from Best Buy made by Targus. Not the best, but at least I feel somewhat protected when I go to toss it in my brief case.

I am flying to California in the morning and will see if I can find one out there this week.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
By the way welcome to the forum, it is better that you introduce your self before posting but thats ok We are here to help you so calm down and relax open a fosters and lets try to give you the answers

Simple answer world wide demand exceeded Apple,s expectations That includes Apple add ons Australia also is in short supply There are many options available from third party suppliers and it won't belong before Apple catches up.
One may complain about short supply but in all fairness no one would have predicted such a massive demand not only the ipads but also so their cases. From my experience as a reseller most people usually buy third party but in this case with the ipad the Apple choice was the favorite I ordered mine at same time as the iPad both arrived on same delivery. So I had no problems
you may get lucky in California I think you will
Cheers Colin down under

Last edited:

Fotonutz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi XciteMe

Sorry to hear that you're having a hard time finding the iPad case. My wife was lucky as she managed to get it in Arizona on her 2nd trip to the Apple Store.

Just for your info, someone is selling the iPad case in Singapore for S$120 or roughly US$85!

Yet, there are people with thick wallets who are willing to buy it.

But, the iPad case is really good as it offers full, all round protection in a thin case.

Good luck on finding the case.

AbblePC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought mine with he WiFi pre-orders, since then I have been looking for another locally since I bought the 3G version at Best Buy.

I passed up a slightly used one once at a Best Buy I visited while in another town working. It was listed or marked down as $30 and needed a good cleaning. Now I'm thinking I should have just bought it then.

I've tried several other cases while using my 3G daily during service calls and noticed the portfolio type cases like the Apple case are the best for quick access and stowaway. Compared to even nicer leather attaché type that you actually pull the iPad from to use and end up having the iPad unprotected and second, the case lying elsewhere or fanangling it under your arm while holding the iPad is cumbersome.

I did buy all the other accessories during the first pre-order, but obviously with wanting to get the 3G later as well, I should have bought two Apple portfolio cases. So for the time being I'm sharing it under different circumstances between the two iPads.

Here's my horror story while I once had the WiFi outside the case unprotected.
I was looking at the iPad in a dark room once and allways having a flash light on my belt, I reached for the flashlight with the iPad in the other hand, remembering as I walked away I forgot something else and placed the flashlight in my mouth ( so Mcguyber - remember it's in my mouf) to hold it while picking up the other thing. Right as I turned back again after retrieving the second item, in turning my head and looking down at the iPad screen simultaneously BOP! I dropped the Maglight flashlight right onto the iPad! Clink clonk! Is what I heard...

All I could think right away was, Ugh! I envisioned immediately a cracked or badly scratched screen, dropped the other item to feel the iPad surface and could feel a knick down the left edge from where the flashlight landed on the Aluminum but not the glass.

Once I got into the lighted room I was headed toward, there it was, the deep gouge left from the flashlight collision. I felt so stupid, but instead of remorsing I immediately went to fixing it. Luckily the Aluminum shard like knick was able to flick off leaving a little divot, which I was able to lightly burnish smoother and although it is noticeable where the scratch was, its helpful to think that at least the Aluminum case got hit, not the glass cracked or scratched. I have buffing polish used to remove scratches from electronics which has diamond dust in it for a light sanding and should after some buffing pretty much make it almost completely unnoticeable. Still, I can't help but cringe every time I think of it happening again. Hence using just about anything in the meantime until I get another protective case.

IpadOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just for your info, someone is selling the iPad case in Singapore for S$120 or roughly US$85!

i have seen in Orchard road S$160 …. but i don’t think they sell so much at this price ...

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have been hunting for 3 weeks. Still cant find one. I did buy a padded carry case from Best Buy made by Targus. Not the best, but at least I feel somewhat protected when I go to toss it in my brief case.

I am flying to California in the morning and will see if I can find one out there this week.
I highly doubt you will find one though. They're going for about 70 bucks with free priority shipping on eBay. They're 40 bucks on Apple's website, but then you not only have to wait for the back order, but they come from China...rush shipping is 10 more dollars. Then you also have tax. By the time you get out of there you're only paying an extra 15 bucks or so on eBay. That's what I ended up doing with my camera connection kit.

For the Apple Case I had a neoprene and soft fiber case from the Apple Store that I actually use more often so I wasn't in a rush and just waited.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The Apple case has it virtues, but there are others that are less (and more) expensive that you can find on Amazon. I wound up with an Acme Made case that is really nice, and there are many others that would serve you well until you get the Apple case.

One case on Amazon is only $12 because they have a new model that accommodates the light sensor. If you are fast, you might still get one.

Last edited:

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The Apple case really isn't all that impressive to be honest. I rarely use it, I use my Incase much more often.

Darth Maniac

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I agree its not too impressive - its edges feel a bit sharp and I swear it creates dust out of nothing. It gets so dirty it is ridiculous.

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I agree its not too impressive - its edges feel a bit sharp and I swear it creates dust out of nothing. It gets so dirty it is ridiculous.
iagree.gif
100%

HAHAHA yep!!!

Where the hell does all that dust come from??!?!!?!?!

Most reactions

Latest posts