What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why Apple don't need to scare the Window based tablet

IpadOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Last week for testing reason i unfortunately buy a tablet Window7 based (ARCHOS 9) ... i will pass fast on the starting registration without keyboard, as he work only when you have register the Window7 .... the device have everything we regret to don't have in Ipad: USB, Webcam, Multi-Tasking, flash .... but the only one problem is you cannot really enjoy it

1) the web cam as everybody i have Skype account .... for sign-in i have to open the virtual keyboard this hide the place HE took half of the screen)where i have to input username and password .... so i have to enter the user name close the keyboard use the stylus for enter the password close it again for press sign in ...

2) chat is nearly impossible or you have to type as blind ....

3) surf the web is so complicated to enter the web address so i copy all my favorite in USB and past into the Archos .....

4) the touchscreen (he pretend to be) is so imprecise than you have to use a stylus the one they provide you is so slim than you scare to broke (they only provide you one) so i have to use the one of my nintendo DS .

And of course no touch screen zoom

i have try to install Microsoft office and use it ...... i give up to use excel with the virtual keyboard

I have install Abode creative suite ... Photoshop with the stylus can be accepted , illustrator too not for all but for a large part of the function

I will pass on the detail of the automatic resize of the screen when you use the virtual keyboard ... this put you window and desktop in a mess every time so don't try to re-arrange or next time you will have to do it one more time

For conclude, based on my experience this kind of device have no possible life , he pretend to have lot of function we will not have in the Ipad but most of them cannot be used .....

Practically the Ipad have everything (based on my Iphone experience) we need , except the webcam.

Concerning Android i already test two device on 2.0 and i am melt in my judgment as is not a really bad OS but need serious improvement but really less than Window 7

Some of you will ask me what i will do with the device, i will gently pass it to my old mom for she watch some video we send her (will be by SD CARD ) and time to time make video call with Skype , of course with automatic sign in

PS: i have really don't disclose all other defect of the OS and the device otherwise the post will be take as a massive attack against window based device

codyhinson

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My advice my friend take the piece of crap tablet back and get money back or store credit. the ipad may not have a cam but you dont need one really on the ipad all it will do is look up your nose:) the ipad isn't meant to be a computer its a multi media device made by apple that you want have viruses or crap like that:)

OP
I

IpadOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My advice my friend take the piece of crap tablet back and get money back or store credit. the ipad may not have a cam but you dont need one really on the ipad all it will do is look up your nose:) the ipad isn't meant to be a computer its a multi media device made by apple that you want have viruses or crap like that:)

Hi Cody, unfortunately i can't return it yet as i have to made some other test, concerning the web cam i am pretty sure that will come out in the V2 or maybe a surprise in V1 ....

I believe in the Ipad as i am developing a large range of products for the Ipad, this one reason why i have to buy the crapy device ...

Dorje

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Any hint that an attachable camera will be avalible to plug into the bottom muliti-perpouse port of the iPad? The bloody thing can do video out, with the right hardware in a dongle shouldn't it take video in?

My condolances on the brick. What a jock making the user fall back on a stylus. At least iPod/iPad styluses will only be needed if you want to go 3rd party and dont feel like using your fingers to draw.

Maybe some bright hacker type will fix it for HP and MS with a 3rd Party utility that overrides the current touch interface.

OP
I

IpadOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Dorje, based on our knowledge in Iphone OS, it will be possible to plug a web cam , the only question unclear is how the VOIP software will recognize it or not yet Skype didn't have this function, only Nimbuzz have the video call function .... (MSN, SKYPE, Yahoo)

Concerning the MS based touch screen even you hack it you will need a stylus if you use you're finger you be so unsatisfied than you will use a pen or stylus ...crapy system born like this and will die like this

Most reactions

Latest posts