What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I can't install any apps after ios 5 update!

tortoiseman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,

I have just updated my iPad 2 to iOS 5.1 from iOS 4.3.5. Whenever I try to download and install apps from the app store they just get stuck at "Waiting". Sometimes they get stuck for 3-5 hours or just don't download and just stay at "Waiting". I am having to use a Windows PC to send this Message on the forums as I can't download the forum app. :confused: Is there any way of fixing this?

Thanks,
Tim

beesknees

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am seeing it too. I think it is because the demand on the app store is huge right now because there are so many new ipads out there and so many apps are getting updates for the new retina screen.

kmoyer371

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm also having the same problem! Is there any way to cancel is other than to just shut down the IPad?
And is there anyway to delete the app update list, since I can't get them to update anyway?

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi All, have you gone to your settings/Store/click your iTunes account to sign out. Than sign in.

This seems to have helped for me as well as other members here. Hope that helps.

cellur111

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had that and tried to download apps it didn't even download in days it was just at waiting that happened for every single app I tried everything..so eventually I restored my iPad to factory settings and so far that's the only way I found to stop apps from being stuck on waiting..but with the help of iCloud,my computer,game center,and other accounts I didn't lose anything even saved progress on all my games..and apps download again so yeah..

And by the way I tried shutting down my iPad and turning it on,logged out of my iTunes and logged in,rest my wifi connection,I tried rebooting my iPad,deleting the app and then downloading it again,tried syncing my iPad with iTunes to make the apps load none of that worked

Last edited:

Midranger4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm seeing this issue with my ipad1 that I gave to my son. I wanted him to try and retain installed apps so he created an iTunes account and signed into it on my ex iPad with over one hundred installed apps. If he buys a new app it prompts for his password. When updates appear for pre existing apps it prompts for mine. We enter my password and the updates go into an waiting state and seem to hang. New tried signing out as him and on as me for these updates but results are the same.

When I obtained my new iPad I did a sync of apps to my new iPad. All is working fine on the new iPad when updates and new installs run, the ipad1 is the only one giving me grief.

I suspect I did something wrong procedurally or what I'm attempting is not allowed by apple.

Can my previously installed ipad1 apps continue to live on the ipad1 with a new iTunes account signed into it? If not how can I accomplish sharing only pre existing apps on both devices and give him the freedom to install more apps without hitting my account or pushing those installs to both devices via the cloud and vice versa.

I suspect I can't :(.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
We have had many reports of this problem, have a look in your ITunes app for any downloads that are waiting, may be a podcast, delete the waiting download by swiping and then delete, your other app downloads should then be good to go.
Let us know if this is it.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Midranger4 said:
I'm seeing this issue with my ipad1 that I gave to my son. I wanted him to try and retain installed apps so he created an iTunes account and signed into it on my ex iPad with over one hundred installed apps. If he buys a new app it prompts for his password. When updates appear for pre existing apps it prompts for mine. We enter my password and the updates go into an waiting state and seem to hang. New tried signing out as him and on as me for these updates but results are the same.

When I obtained my new iPad I did a sync of apps to my new iPad. All is working fine on the new iPad when updates and new installs run, the ipad1 is the only one giving me grief.

I suspect I did something wrong procedurally or what I'm attempting is not allowed by apple.

Can my previously installed ipad1 apps continue to live on the ipad1 with a new iTunes account signed into it? If not how can I accomplish sharing only pre existing apps on both devices and give him the freedom to install more apps without hitting my account or pushing those installs to both devices via the cloud and vice versa.

I suspect I can't :(.

You can do this, your son will have to sign into your account to update the apps you have bought previously, and then sign into his own to purchase the ones he wants. If you look at my post above I think this will solve the problem you're having. He will have to sign back into your account I think to see a waiting download though. Let us know if this solves it.

Midranger4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks so much. Will see him and my old iPad tomorrow and will try this. I miss him so much, and my son too....

david36

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an iPad 2 and am unable to delete the apps that are waiting to download. Any suggestions

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
david36 said:
I have an iPad 2 and am unable to delete the apps that are waiting to download. Any suggestions

Have you tried the 2 suggestions posted above. One by Skimonkey and the other by myself. Let us know.

david36

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have no iTunes apps waiting in line. Only updates to existing apps. Am I missing something? Thanks

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
david36 said:
I have no iTunes apps waiting in line. Only updates to existing apps. Am I missing something? Thanks

I want you to look in the iTunes app not the App store app and have a look at your downloads page to see if you have any pending downloads. Delete these if you have any and let us know if your apps then download, you may have to tap them to kickstart them to download. Or maybe you've done this already and I've misunderstood.

Most reactions

Latest posts