What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I bought Apple Care for the first time for the Air....

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Usually never buy extended warranties or any of that stuff. But, for $100 bucks I bit the bullet and did get apple care this time for my Air. I justified since it's a brand new model so to speak and has a new chip, graphics processing, battery, outer shell, etc, etc. plus, I do like the fact that for $50 bucks accidental damage is covered too.

Just curious if any other people that normally avoid apple care decided to get it for the Air? Or even your new retina mini.

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I surprised myself and bought it the day after I received the Air. I bought Apple Care for my Ipad one since I bought it the week it came out and everything was unknown. When I bought the second Ipad one for my husband 4 months later I didn't because so few issues had arisen. I didn't buy it for my Ipad 3 either but sort of for the same reasons as you, I decided it might be worth it. I also think I'll keep this until at least the warranty is up--maybe longer. I really like this Ipad.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I bought the Apple care for when i purchased my iPad 2 and also my Macbook Air. Both were my first major purchases from Apple so I wanted to have that insurance so to speak. I would probably purchase it again for when I get a new device, just something that I am now used to doing.

markbnh1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
In general I don't believe in these extended insurance plans. And that's what they are....insurance. So, I didn't buy it for my iPad 2 and I didn't get it for the Air either. I'm not rough with my devices and have no small children around. My wife and I never agree on these decisions! LOL

Sent from my iPad Air using iPF

mesue

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
geekintheforest.com
With Apple Care the accidental protection does not kick in until the second year and there is a $50 incident charge. So I went with a SquareTrade warranty with no deductible. It was a few bucks cheaper than Apple Care and can be extended to 3 years after the 2 if I want to. Also the protection is transferable if I sell my iPad before the coverage ends. I have never used them before but they get great reviews. After I broke the screen on my iPad 3 when it fell off a table, I decided I definitely wanted accidental protection for my next iPad.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
With Apple Care the accidental protection does not kick in until the second year and there is a $50 incident charge. So I went with a SquareTrade warranty with no deductible. It was a few bucks cheaper than Apple Care and can be extended to 3 years after the 2 if I want to. Also the protection is transferable if I sell my iPad before the coverage ends. I have never used them before but they get great reviews. After I broke the screen on my iPad 3 when it fell off a table, I decided I definitely wanted accidental protection for my next iPad.
The accidental damage protection is effective the instant you purchase AppleCare, not after a whole year. You also get two years of telephone technical support with AppleCare instead of the 90 days available without AppleCare. AppleCare is transferable to the next owner if you decide to sell the iPad.

mesue

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
geekintheforest.com
The accidental damage protection is effective the instant you purchase AppleCare, not after a whole year. You also get two years of telephone technical support with AppleCare instead of the 90 days available without AppleCare. AppleCare is transferable to the next owner if you decide to sell the iPad.

Oh, good. Thanks for setting me straight. Apple's $50 service fee on accidental replacements is still a deal breaker for me. Since I don't live close to an Apple Store, the SquareTrade service (if needed) should not be any more or less convenient, for me. I just think people should know there are other options besides Apple Care.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Oh, good. Thanks for setting me straight. Apple's $50 service fee on accidental replacements is still a deal breaker for me. Since I don't live close to an Apple Store, the SquareTrade service (if needed) should not be any more or less convenient, for me. I just think people should know there are other options besides Apple Care.

If they didn't have an incidence fee, then you'd have people dropping their iPads on purpose. Also, I think making a claim with Applecare+ is going to be easier to do than with SquareTrade for most.

Danceking

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ive always bought applecare on my products phones the lot. I have found it valueable. When i have come to sell my ipad 3 i got a higher figure for it because it had apple warranty still available for 5 months. Plus i always do a diagnostics check online with my apple product (same as what they do instore) and when i did it (just before selling my ipad 3) they found a fault. To me the ipad was working fine. But a fault was found with it not shutting off correctly or something. Anyway they swapped it for a replacement, (which looks like new). So when i then sold it the next day after it was spotless with a warranty . I got nearly £70 more for it than others were getting and in cash :).

For me its just peace of mind. Its definitely worth it on the phone specially with the accidental damage. However square trade is also worthwhile.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I've bought apple care + twice on two iPad. Thing is, I have never used it. I once had a problem with my iPad 2 (which I had AC+ on) but apple fixed it under warranty. So, I'm thinking I won't be buying anymore AC+.

OP
s2mikey

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I've bought apple care + twice on two iPad. Thing is, I have never used it. I once had a problem with my iPad 2 (which I had AC+ on) but apple fixed it under warranty. So, I'm thinking I won't be buying anymore AC+.

Your situation is one of the reasons why I usually don't get warranties. Electronics tend to be shady right out of the box and end up being fixed under warranty if they need something. In my experience, they don't usually break later on. No moving parts in an iPad and they've been perfecting them for several generations now. Still, I gave it a shot this time around.

Thanks for the replies, folks!

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Your situation is one of the reasons why I usually don't get warranties. Electronics tend to be shady right out of the box and end up being fixed under warranty if they need something. In my experience, they don't usually break later on. No moving parts in an iPad and they've been perfecting them for several generations now. Still, I gave it a shot this time around.

Thanks for the replies, folks!

The logic I used when I bought those warranties is that since this is a mobile device, I could easily drop it or sit on it....and the ones I buy usually are the higher end models which cost a pretty penny. I guess I'm just not that accident prone on the whole....and I don't have kids.....if either of those situations were different, the math might be different too.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No AC for me. I never buy extended warranties, because I don't think them worthwhile. I can afford to replace any device I break, and I've only ever broken one, which Apple replaced for free anyway. I've saved plenty by not buying such coverage.

I might consider an extended warranty if I were especially clumsy, if I couldn't afford to replace a device out of pocket, or if I had kids or pets around my devices.

Most reactions

Latest posts