What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I bought Apple Care for the first time for the Air....

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Apple products are so well designed that I've always felt confident that they will last a long time--if I take reasonable precaution to eliminate or circumvent my natural inclination to be clumsy. I still have my iPad original, an iPad2, and an iPad 3. I skipped the 4, but now contemplating an iPad Air. No Apple Care insurance for me.

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I got AppleCare for all my devices except for Apple TV that was only 100 bucks. It worked out for my iPad 2 as u had to get get a replacement along with the cable. With the added accident insurance, I think it's worth it. Someone dropped my iPod touch on concrete and my life flashed before my eyes at 400 bucks!!! It was OK but what if it wasn't!!!

Sent from my Black 64GB Fifth Generation iPod touch using Tapatalk

mesue

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
geekintheforest.com
I was being incredibly careful trying not to bump my iPad 3 with my arm one time, and ended up bumping the table with my hip, knocking the iPad to the floor and cracking the screen. So, you can be careful and take care of your things, but accidents still happen. This is why I bought insurance for my iPad Air. The thing goes everywhere with me, including from room to room in my home. For such an often-used expensive device, it seems worth it. Yes, I am addicted.

budmonster

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I purchased ac plan bc I have a 4yr old using it too. I have nightmares that I leave the room, come back and it's in pieces lol. Is here a website for ac? Just curious to everything I'm included too?

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I was being incredibly careful trying not to bump my iPad 3 with my arm one time, and ended up bumping the table with my hip, knocking the iPad to the floor and cracking the screen. So, you can be careful and take care of your things, but accidents still happen. This is why I bought insurance for my iPad Air. The thing goes everywhere with me, including from room to room in my home. For such an often-used expensive device, it seems worth it. Yes, I am addicted.

Just curious.....was your iPad, whose screen got cracked, inside a case or was it naked?

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I purchased ac plan bc I have a 4yr old using it too. I have nightmares that I leave the room, come back and it's in pieces lol. Is here a website for ac? Just curious to everything I'm included too?

As far as I know, you're covered for any kind of damage, but there is a per incident fee and you can only use that two times over two years. I suggest you find out your exact coverage. Check the apple website but you should have received a little booklet that covers the details.

mesue

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
geekintheforest.com
Just curious.....was your iPad, whose screen got cracked, inside a case or was it naked?

It had a Native Union Gripster case on the back, and a screen protector and Smart Cover on the front. It fell about 2.5 feet onto vinyl flooring, hitting the floor at the lower right corner. (Even thought the Gripster did not keep it from breaking, I still will buy this case again if it comes out for the Air.)

At the time I did not know about the Apple $299 out of warranty exchange and thought the only option was to use a third party repair service or do it ourselves. We found the screens were pretty cheap, and decided to repair it ourselves, but the work is very difficult and the quality control on the replacement screens is very poor. It took 4 replacements before we got a fully working one without dead zones, and in the process of switching it out so many times, one of the internal connectors broke and had to be held in place with Mylar tape.

After that, the iPad always had a shadowy area in the screen and the home button was mushy and one corner kept popping up from needing to be reglued, but I got by another 6 months with it, only paying about $45 for the replacement screen.

And that is my sad, sad cracked screen saga.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It had a Native Union Gripster case on the back, and a screen protector and Smart Cover on the front. It fell about 2.5 feet onto vinyl flooring, hitting the floor at the lower right corner. (Even thought the Gripster did not keep it from breaking, I still will buy this case again if it comes out for the Air.)

At the time I did not know about the Apple $299 out of warranty exchange and thought the only option was to use a third party repair service or do it ourselves. We found the screens were pretty cheap, and decided to repair it ourselves, but the work is very difficult and the quality control on the replacement screens is very poor. It took 4 replacements before we got a fully working one without dead zones, and in the process of switching it out so many times, one of the internal connectors broke and had to be held in place with Mylar tape.

After that, the iPad always had a shadowy area in the screen and the home button was mushy and one corner kept popping up from needing to be reglued, but I got by another 6 months with it, only paying about $45 for the replacement screen.

And that is my sad, sad cracked screen saga.

Wow.....maybe if is a good idea to get AC+!

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I let my young nieces and nephews use my iPads only when I'm around. Their parents limit device exposure anyway, so they're never used to babysit the kids. The rest of the time, the kids are playing with toys, or reading paper books (it's so cute that they sometimes are caught waking early to read their books). Toys aren't allowed in their bedrooms, because they're for sleeping, and sometimes they'll wake and be reading.

If I had kids, I'd get them cheap tablets in a tough case. My personal devices would never be left in their care.

budmonster

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I let my young nieces and nephews use my iPads only when I'm around. Their parents limit device exposure anyway, so they're never used to babysit the kids. The rest of the time, the kids are playing with toys, or reading paper books (it's so cute that they sometimes are caught waking early to read their books). Toys aren't allowed in their bedrooms, because they're for sleeping, and sometimes they'll wake and be reading.

If I had kids, I'd get them cheap tablets in a tough case. My personal devices would never be left in their care.

I never use my iPad to "babysit" my child. And I can't get my child a "cheap" tablet because my my child has special needs and uses expensive special apps, that are only on the Apple store.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I never use my iPad to "babysit" my child. And I can't get my child a "cheap" tablet because my my child has special needs and uses expensive special apps, that are only on the Apple store.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk

Get a tough case!

budmonster

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the Apple Care plan, my device has been heating up a lot and shuts off by itself from time to time. With my Apple Care plan, will they just replace it with a new one for free? Do I have to pay a deductible? How does this work since it I didn't cause the issue?

OP
s2mikey

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have the Apple Care plan, my device has been heating up a lot and shuts off by itself from time to time. With my Apple Care plan, will they just replace it with a new one for free? Do I have to pay a deductible? How does this work since it I didn't cause the issue?

There is a good chance you'll get a replacement unless they feel they can repair it. I doubt that though. Sounds like you have a unit that's defective on some way. No deductible, as col.bris pointed out. ;)

Most reactions