What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad Air Questions ( First Time Apple Product User)

jim dandy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello all. I am a first time Apple product user after just buying a new iPad Air 32gb wi-fi tablet. I have built a few desktop PC's in the past which is not difficult if you do your homework and I am by no means anything close to being tech guy.

Apple is a whole new ball game for me and before I go and get myself in trouble with this tablet I would like folks here to please offer their suggestions and comments as they wish, all will be accepted with appreciation for sure.

This tablet was purchased new from Best Buy Stores here in Florida. There was no user manual or warranty paperwork in the box? I have the ipad currently installed on my wireless home network with no problems, but that is as far as I want to go with out knowing much more.

I have concerns about an anti virus utility being needed along with any other anti spy ware or malware utilities like that can be used on Windows PC systems.

I currently use Google gmail as my email provider and have it configured to work with my Outlook Express 6 which I like on my Windows XP laptop. I see Outlook as being mentioned as It pertains to the iPad. I never configured Outlook as it pertains to Google Gmail even if it's possible.

1) Needing an anti virus utility along with any suggested anti spyware and malware utilities with this ipad air
2) Can I configure either Outlook Express 6 or Outlook using Google Gmail on this apple tablet and if so how do I do it?
3) Also what browser or search engine is the best to use with this ipad air ?

Answers, suggestions, comments and recommendations to these first questions will be appreciated.

Thank you............

Last edited:

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi, welcome to this forum!

Congratulations on your new device!

I can help with a few of your questions.

First of all: you don't need antivirus-software for your device, as long as it's not jailbroken. There are members who can explain way better than I why this is so, and hopefully they'll join the conversation.

You should find the manual of your iPad in Safari, perhaps bookmarked. If that's not the case, here's a link: http://help.apple.com/ipad/7/
There's also a free version in iBooks Store, and it's available as PDF.

Hope to have helped a little.

Last edited:

theyellowshoe

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A lot of tips, info here, I won an iPad 4 from the Fort Smith newspaper about 8 months ago, I didn't know anything about tablets. I'm still finding new things about this iPad, & having a blast. Have fun with your new "toy"!

Moderation notice:This post has been edited by ipadforums staff in accordance with theForum RulesNo External Links

abababababab

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Welcome to iPF!

1) As J.A. correctly stated, all iDevices need no antivirus software.

2) I don't use Outlook, so this information may be wrong.
You can configure any e-mail account to your device from Settings > Mail, Contacts and Calendars > Add Account > Outlook.
These accounts can be accessed from Mail icon on the home screen.
3) Safari is the only possible browser with all round compatibility for most websites you can use on any iDevice. The search engine is inbuilt there, with an integrated address bar and search engine. The default search engine is - Google, though there is also a separately available app, free for download on the app store for Google.

Hope this helped. Theres a lot to learn regarding an iDevice because I have been using it for a year now, and I'm still learning new things.

Once again, Welcome to iPF!

GC : Be Happy 123 HAY DAY : LV 32 AC : Abababababab NEED : Pruning shears.

Most reactions

Latest posts