What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

how to upgrade to latest jailbroken version for ipad 2

yeahman45

iPF Noob
Reaction score
what is the latest version that is jailbroken for ipad 2? I am currently on 5.0.1 jailbroken.

And how to update?? (I don't have itunes... do i need it?)

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
what is the latest version that is jailbroken for ipad 2? I am currently on 5.0.1 jailbroken.

And how to update?? (I don't have itunes... do i need it?)
The only iOS version you can upgrade to is iOS 8.1.2, which is jailbreakable with the Taig jailbreak.

To answer your second question, yes you do need itunes. You have to connect your iPad to iTunes on your computer to restore your iPad and update it to iOS 8.1.2. Once updated, you can jailbreak it with Taig.

P.S. Don't try upgrading your iPad without iTunes, you'll cause problems that can only be resolved by connecting to iTunes and restoring.

Here's a thread on Jailbreaking using the Taig jailbreak tool. http://www.ipadforums.net/threads/how-to-jailbreak-ios-8-x-using-taig.125390/

If you are having trouble restoring your iPad to iOS 8.1.2, this tutorial may help. http://www.ipadforums.net/threads/t...-to-restore-the-current-version-of-ios.52863/

Last edited:
OP
Y

yeahman45

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ok I installed itunes but it says that ios 5.0.1 is already the latest version

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
There should be a button there (in iTunes) titled "Check for Updates." If you press it, iTunes will then check and find the update for iOS 8.1.2.

Marilyn

OP
Y

yeahman45

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There should be a button there (in iTunes) titled "Check for Updates." If you press it, iTunes will then check and find the update for iOS 8.1.2.

Marilyn

clicked on it several times and still says "5.0.1 is the latests version" .. same on my ipad with software update.

going to try DFU and install update manually

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
clicked on it several times and still says "5.0.1 is the latests version" .. same on my ipad with software update.

going to try DFU and install update manually
Which version of iTunes are you running? To update your iPad to iOS 8.1.2 you need the latest version of iTunes, iTunes 12.0.1

OP
Y

yeahman45

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Which version of iTunes are you running? To update your iPad to iOS 8.1.2 you need the latest version of iTunes, iTunes 12.0.1

latest itunes.. just downloaded today... I downloaded the 8.1.2 manually for my ipad 2 wifi (checked the model to know if I downloaded the right version). Just tried DFU and tried "shift+click recover" in itunes and selected the ipsw file .. it says it is not compatible wdf.. lol

so i clicked on "recover" on itunes (without holding shift) and it says it is downloading 8.1.2 .... lol .. i will let it download again and see what happens.... (it's slow) ... that's weird though

OP
Y

yeahman45

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ok guys..updated successfully with DFU and itunes :) .. now need to jailbreak... :)

Most reactions