What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to Transfer 65mb book from Desktop to Ipad Mini

shetland

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi I have a 65mb travel guide which I need to transfer from my Desktop to my Ipad Mini. It is a PDF. It is too big to email. What is the best way for a novice to do this. Thanks in advance

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Do it through iTunes. Before you start, make sure you have iBooks on your iPad (free download)

Drag the book to your iPad in the left sidebar of iTunes, and the book will be available in iBooks.

OP
S

shetland

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Do it through iTunes. Before you start, make sure you have iBooks on your iPad (free download)

Drag the book to your iPad in the left sidebar of iTunes, and the book will be available in iBooks.

Thanks for the response. I have iTunes on my pc and I use it for my iPod. I have never synched my ipad to my pc and am concerned that this may cause conflict with my ipod. I don't want to download all the podcasts and music to my ipad. Will this cause a problem

OP
S

shetland

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Johanna. I have done this and set up a new Library. Unfortunately my original library seems to have disappeared. When I start iTunes and hold the shift key I select the option 'choose library' and then it seems to go into the new library I created. If I close iTunes and then attach my ipod it brings up the new library and not the library associated with that device. Any ideas what I am doing wrong?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Quit iTunes and look for the "old" library. It should be somewhere in C:\Users\your username\Music. Make sure the files that used to be there are still there.

Second thought: you didn't copy the old library, but certainly created a new one? That's an important note in my link.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Unless the iPod and iPad have two different Apple ID's, there is no need to separate the libraries. iTunes will remember the sync settings for each device. Just make sure you go through all the sync settings when setting up the iPad, to make sure they are what you want; before the first sync.

You can also choose to turn off all the syncing on the iPad, and use the File Sharing features; at the bottom of the App sync tab's page. Not my favorite method, but many/most apps can copy files to/from the iPad using File Sharing.

Or you could bypass iTunes altogether and use DropBox or a similar service to transfer the book to the iPad, then use Open In to copy it to a compatible app such as iBooks or PDF Expert.

If you don't already have DropBox set up on your computer and iPad, its a worthwhile service; one you'll find many uses for down the road.

OP
S

shetland

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Quit iTunes and look for the "old" library. It should be somewhere in C:\Users\your username\Music. Make sure the files that used to be there are still there.

Second thought: you didn't copy the old library, but certainly created a new one? That's an important note in my link.

Thanks Johanna, I have found the original library now and have loaded the books.

Thanks twerppoet, I will add dropbox as well. Is this an app ?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thanks Johanna, I have found the original library now and have loaded the books.

Thanks twerppoet, I will add dropbox as well. Is this an app ?

It is a cloud file syncing service with an app for both you iPad and your computer. Go to dropbox.com for more info on what it does and how to set it up.

Dropbox is not the only service of it's kind, but it is probably the most popular, and one of the easiest to set up and use.

Most reactions

Latest posts