What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Transferring photos to iPad mini 2

limeyx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, the cable and adapter that I used for my old iPad to transfer photos from my Canon Elph 340HS PowerShot will not work with my new iPad mini 2.
Can anyone suggest an adapter that I can get to make this work.
There are so many different kinds of adapters available that I am confused as to which one is best.
Thanks

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi, the cable and adapter that I used for my old iPad to transfer photos from my Canon Elph 340HS PowerShot will not work with my new iPad mini 2.
Can anyone suggest an adapter that I can get to make this work.
There are so many different kinds of adapters available that I am confused as to which one is best.

Hello and welcome to the forum! :) You've not told us which iPad you owned previously, but I'm assuming one w/ a 30-pin CCK (Camera Connection Kit) which is not compatible w/ the lightning adapter of you iPad Mini 2 (although Apple and third parties offer an intermediary adapter) - of course your first option is to check the Apple website for an updated CCK using the lightning adapter (for attaching a camera or one accepting the SD card of your camera) - one is shown below from the Apple website. On my old iPad 2, I preferred to remove the SD card from my old Panasonic camera and insert into the appropriate 30-pin adapter - directly cabling a camera to the iPad can be a pain that does not always work.

Checking your camera on Amazon (believe the one below second image - correct?), Wi-Fi is mentioned as a connection option - have you explored the Canon website to see if there is an app (usually free) that can be placed on your new iPad and communicate w/ your camera wirelessly? I now have an iPad Air 2 & a new Panasonic Wi-Fi camera - an app is on my device that communicates w/ the camera and allows easy transfer of the camera's images to the iPad - an easy solution, if available from Canon.

Finally, check out a previous post of mine in THIS THREAD - post #5 where I suggest a number of alternate (mainly wireless) options in getting your photos from the camera to your iPad - let me stop there for you to review these various choices and post any further questions. Dave
Screen Shot 2016-02-29 at 6.30.47 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-02-29 at 6.26.38 PM.png

OP
L

limeyx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes that is the camera I have Dave, thanks for a wealth of information. I think though that I'd better stick to the adapter though because when I'm travelling I never know if I'm going to have access to wifi.
I was looking at that adapter that you showed me and I think that is the one on the Apple site that is called " Lightning to USB Camera Adapter " for $29.
It only gets a 3 star review but it appears that most of the negative postings were not when using this with a camera but using it for other applications.
Thank you so much Dave for your help I feel much more confident now in purchasing this adapter.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Yes that is the camera I have Dave, thanks for a wealth of information. I think though that I'd better stick to the adapter though because when I'm travelling I never know if I'm going to have access to wifi.
I was looking at that adapter that you showed me and I think that is the one on the Apple site that is called " Lightning to USB Camera Adapter " for $29.
It only gets a 3 star review but it appears that most of the negative postings were not when using this with a camera but using it for other applications.

Hi again - glad to help! :) There is also a lightning-SD card adapter (see below) for the same price if you're willing to remove the card from your camera which would be my preference (possibly more reliable); there are third party options at lesser cost but their quality and reliability might be questionable.

NOW, as to the Wi-Fi issue - if you looked at my link and at the two Wi-Fi devices described (own both) - each of these establishes their own 'personal' Wi-Fi networks and connect to their own 'free' apps that are on your iPad, i.e. you do not need a public/private Wi-Fi network - these would work anywhere - all that you need to do is insert your SD card, turn the device on, and open the app on your iPad and your connected!

Finally, since your camera is Wi-Fi enabled, it likely sets up its own wireless connection, so check on the Canon website to see if there is an iPad app that might work - would save you a few bucks. Good luck - Dave :)
Screen Shot 2016-03-01 at 12.53.48 AM.png

OP
L

limeyx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks again Dave for your great suggestions, you have been a big help. I will check into the card reader.

Most reactions

Latest posts