What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to subscribe to a shared Google calendar without a GMail account?

CincyTriGuy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm trying to subscribe to a shared Google calendar in the default calendar app on my iPad. I am not the owner of the calendar and I don't have a Gmail account; My Hotmail account is my Google ID.

I've seen an article about how to sync Google Calendars to an iOS device but since I don't have a GMail account the Mail, Contacts, and Calendars settings won't let me go any farther. That article also states that I can go to www . google . com/calendar/syncselete and select the shared calendar that I want to to sync. I've done that, and it states that it's setup to sync, but when I go to the Calendar app I don't see it in the list of available calendars.

So any ideas how a person *without* a Gmail account can subscribe to a shared Google calendar?

Thanks!

Jason

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm trying to subscribe to a shared Google calendar in the default calendar app on my iPad. I am not the owner of the calendar and I don't have a Gmail account; My Hotmail account is my Google ID.

I've seen an article about how to sync Google Calendars to an iOS device but since I don't have a GMail account the Mail, Contacts, and Calendars settings won't let me go any farther. That article also states that I can go to www . google . com/calendar/syncselete and select the shared calendar that I want to to sync. I've done that, and it states that it's setup to sync, but when I go to the Calendar app I don't see it in the list of available calendars.

So any ideas how a person *without* a Gmail account can subscribe to a shared Google calendar?

Thanks!

Jason

Hi, welcome to iPF!

You can't subscribe to a shared Google calendar yourself. The person who wants to share the calendar with you needs to invite you to his/her calendar. I can't tell you the way it works with an iPad. It would be easier with your iDevice to share an iCloud calendar, if the other person has an iPad/iPhone as well.

OP
C

CincyTriGuy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. To clarify, the owner has already invited me to the calendar, I've been using it for a long time. I simply was hoping to pull the events from the shared calendar into my iPad's native Calendar app instead of having to browse to calendar . google . com all the time. Is this not possible?

Jason

Last edited:

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. To clarify, the owner has already invited me to the calendar, I've been using it for a long time. I simply was hoping to pull the events from the shared calendar into my iPad's native Calendar app instead of having to browse to calendar . google . com all the time. Is this not possible?

Jason

I found no possibility to use a shared Google calendar on an iPad without Gmail account. Sorry! Perhaps someone else has an idea how to do this.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

Jason

I realize this isn't your question specifically, but hope that some of the background will help....

When I did a one-way sync from my outlook calendar (work) to my Google calendar, my work calendar would sync with my gmail calendar allowing me to view both calendars together. However, Google, changed this feature in January and you can no longer do this. At least that's what I have read after I had to change my password on Google and now have the inability to have that one way sync continue. I can no longer add an event on outlook and have it synced to Google. However, I could view in "Read only" my Google Calendar when using outlook, but cannot make any edits on it. Maybe I did if all wrong, but this is what it was for me.

I hope that makes sense.

Have you tried other 3rd party calendar apps? Pocket informant or Easy Calendar, maybe?

Maybe others can chime in...

Skimonkey ~~ sent from my iPad MINI using iPF

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I'm wondering.

Did you try tapping on the invitation link in Mail on the iPad? This should result in an option to add the calendar to Calendars. If it's a private calendar, you'll still need a GMail account for authentication, but if it's a public calendar it should work.

It is also possible to add calendars using Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > Add Account > Other, but this is tricky since you need to copy and paste the link in the accounts' settings. Even if the Mail method works, remember this part, since the Account settings is where you have to go to delete the unwanted calendar. Or maybe you can do it directly in the Calendar app. It's been quite a while since I tried it.

The other option is to break down and get a GMail account. You can add your friends calendar on the website, then choose to sync all your Gmail calendars tot he iPad's calendar app when you ad your GMail account in Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars. By default a GMail account only shows your first, default, calendar on the iPad, but you can go to the Add Calendars to IMAP setup page to enable your other Google calendars and subscriptions.

It's possible to only turn on the Calendar sync in the Google account settings, so you don't need to clutter up your Mail, Contacts, Notes, or other apps with unwanted information.

Don't forget to tap on the Calendar button at the top left of the Calendar app to make sure all your calendars are check-marked for viewing.

It's been a while since I really used Google Calendars, so this info may be a bit out of date, but should work in general.

OP
C

CincyTriGuy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm wondering.

Did you try tapping on the invitation link in Mail on the iPad? This should result in an option to add the calendar to Calendars.

I've had access to this calendar for a long time, at least a year, and no longer have the invitation email.

If it's a private calendar, you'll still need a GMail account for authentication,

It's a private calendar but you don't need a GMail account, you simply need a *Google* account to authenticate. My Google account is my Hotmail email address and I can access this particular (privately) shared calendar just fine.

It is also possible to add calendars using Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > Add Account > Other, but this is tricky since you need to copy and paste the link in the accounts' settings.

I've been trying this, can't get it to work.

The other option is to break down and get a GMail account.

I considered that as well but really have no desire to do that, I'll just continue using the webpage if this is my only option.

Thanks for the ideas!

Jason

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It's a private calendar but you don't need a GMail account, you simply need a *Google* account to authenticate. My Google account is my Hotmail email address and I can access this particular (privately) shared calendar just fine.

I wasn't even aware you could still do that. I know Google has been pushing for a single log in for all their services for a while.

Oh well. No other ideas. Good luck.

OP
C

CincyTriGuy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I wasn't even aware you could still do that. I know Google has been pushing for a single log in for all their services for a while.

They do, and it's their Google account. You're just not forced into being required to use a Gmail account for it, that would significantly limit the number of people that could use it.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It's not like GMail is something you have to use, whether you have the account or not. Actually, it can be handy having a second or third account that you can ignore or even throw away. Though I can understand the desire to keep thinks simple.

Out of curiosity, do you have your own Google Calendar, or are you just viewing your friend's? I'm wondering if the the calendar service/app is linked to the Gmail account.

Most reactions

Latest posts