What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Add google calendar

susja

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello,
I would like to add calendar I'm using with google account to built-in iPad calendar.
Based on documentation I have to add information in 'Add Subscribed Calendars' in settings.
My issue is that I don't know the server name I should use to access google calendar.
Could someone give me a heads-up?
Thanks

OP
S

susja

iPF Noob
Reaction score
susja said:
Hello,
I would like to add calendar I'm using with google account to built-in iPad calendar.
Based on documentation I have to add information in 'Add Subscribed Calendars' in settings.
My issue is that I don't know the server name I should use to access google calendar.
Could someone give me a heads-up?
Thanks

Funny but I realized that my iPad calendar is already synced with my google calendar . I didn't do explicitly so likely when I added my google account to iPad settings it picked that feature.
Anyway but the only thing is that I am missing here that on google calendar I have US Holidays and Jewish Holidays added. I don't see it in iPad calendar. Does anyone knows how to add it?
Thanks

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
In order to sync more than just the main google calendar to the iPad you need to set your account up as an Exchange account: instead of the default IMAP setup.

Setting up Google Sync with your iOS device - Google Mobile Help

After you've done the main part, creating the new account, check out the second tab which explains how to set up syncing for your other calendars.

You can also subscribe to the other candela's, as you mentioned in yoru first post, but it is more trouble and less versatile than the Exchange method.

The only thing you lose by switching to an Exchange account is the ability to sync the Notes app to a folder in GMail. I you want to keep this do not delete the old GMail account; just go into it's settings and turn everything but the Notes syncing off.

I do this. I named one account GMail EX and the other GMail IMAP. As long as you don't turn the same service on in both accounts, they co-exist nicely.

Last edited:
OP
S

susja

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello.
Your post is perfect.
I followed all steps and added Exchange account and turned on mail, calendar and contacts sync.
After that I notched that all events were doubled. Likely one event was from Exchange and the same event was from another account . I turned IMAP account calendar sync off and now calendar works fine. The great advantage from that was that now I have all my contacts that I used to create on google.
The only thing which still is not working is that I don't see Holidays calendar which I have in google calendar.
Maybe I should wait some time until it'll be pushed....

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hello.
Your post is perfect.
I followed all steps and added Exchange account and turned on mail, calendar and contacts sync.
After that I notched that all events were doubled. Likely one event was from Exchange and the same event was from another account . I turned IMAP account calendar sync off and now calendar works fine. The great advantage from that was that now I have all my contacts that I used to create on google.
The only thing which still is not working is that I don't see Holidays calendar which I have in google calendar.
Maybe I should wait some time until it'll be pushed....

In the link I posted there is a tab that says Multiple Calendars. It has the instruction on how to get your other calendars to show up.

Basically you need to visit m.google.com on the iPad (this will not work from a computer). Several apps appear as icons. Choose the Sync app, sign in if necessary, select your device from the list (you probably only have one), and check all the calendars you want to appear on the iPad. Your Holidays calendar will show up under a Shared Calendars heading. At least mine does.

Leave the two email options alone for now.

If I'm just repeating what you've already done, sorry.

OP
S

susja

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
In the link I posted there is a tab that says Multiple Calendars. It has the instruction on how to get your other calendars to show up.

Basically you need to visit m.google.com on the iPad (this will not work from a computer). Several apps appear as icons. Choose the Sync app, sign in if necessary, select your device from the list (you probably only have one), and check all the calendars you want to appear on the iPad. Your Holidays calendar will show up under a Shared Calendars heading. At least mine does.

Leave the two email options alone for now.

If I'm just repeating what you've already done, sorry.

Hi,
Your help is extremely valuable. Following all your steps I now have all calendars sync. That was great!
The only thing left which is not clear to me why you recommend to leave two email options alone. As I mentioned before (when IMAP account sync email and calendar ) I had double entries for calendar events and also 2 email accounts I.e. IMAP and Exchange which is overlapping in my opinion. Now I left for IMAP account only sync for notes and it looks to me that mail is coming only for Exchange account which I think is ok.
Thanks again for your help. I do appreciate it.
P.S. just for my curiosity .... Could you explain me in a nutshell what was the reason to switch from IMAP to Exchange type of account?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
When I said to leave the two email options alone (for now) I was talking about the two check boxes at the top of the same page where you selected what calendars to sync. I only said it because, one, I'm not completely sure what they do, and two, I didn't want to add further complications.

If you are talking about keeping both the old IMAP and Exchange account, I only meant for you to keep them both if you want to continue syncing Notes to your Gmail folder. When you look at the sync settings on both accounts you will see that the IMAP one offers Mail, Calendar, and Notes syncing. The Exchange version offers Mail, Contacts, and Calendars. To keep Notes syncing you turn OFF everything except the Notes sync option. I never meant for you to have Calendars on in both settings. Same goes for Mail. Only leave it on in one of the accounts.

Or if you don't care about having Notes synced to GMail, delete the IMAP account and save yourself the confusion.

IMAP and Exchange are just two different ways of syncing your email. Each has it's own advantages. Google supports all three main email protocols (Exchange, IMAP, POP3). I had you switch because the Google Exchange (using ActiveSync) supports multiple calendars. As a bonus it also syncs your contacts (though it does not support groups/labels) The IMAP method only syncs your first calendar.

Each protocol has its advantages/disadvantages. For you (and most of us) the Exchange account has the the best mix of features.

OP
S

susja

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
When I said to leave the two email options alone (for now) I was talking about the two check boxes at the top of the same page where you selected what calendars to sync. I only said it because, one, I'm not completely sure what they do, and two, I didn't want to add further complications.

If you are talking about keeping both the old IMAP and Exchange account, I only meant for you to keep them both if you want to continue syncing Notes to your Gmail folder. When you look at the sync settings on both accounts you will see that the IMAP one offers Mail, Calendar, and Notes syncing. The Exchange version offers Mail, Contacts, and Calendars. To keep Notes syncing you turn OFF everything except the Notes sync option. I never meant for you to have Calendars on in both settings. Same goes for Mail. Only leave it on in one of the accounts.

Or if you don't care about having Notes synced to GMail, delete the IMAP account and save yourself the confusion.

IMAP and Exchange are just two different ways of syncing your email. Each has it's own advantages. Google supports all three main email protocols (Exchange, IMAP, POP3). I had you switch because the Google Exchange (using ActiveSync) supports multiple calendars. As a bonus it also syncs your contacts (though it does not support groups/labels) The IMAP method only syncs your first calendar.

Each protocol has its advantages/disadvantages. For you (and most of us) the Exchange account has the the best mix of features.

Thanks a lot.
I think I should be all setbkh now. Actually I don't use google notes so I'm going to delete IMAP account at all.
Thanks for clarification.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You are welcome.

For clarification. It does not sync with Google Notes. It syncs with a folder in GMail. Not nearly as useful.

Most reactions

Latest posts