What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to activate the best secret feature in your iPad

Jeeper

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I went to download Xcode 4 onto my Mac book. Xcode 4 is huge! 5Gb. Will this even fit? I think the Mac book says it is 2Gb. But hard drive says 11Gb avail.?

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Jeeper said:
I went to download Xcode 4 onto my Mac book. Xcode 4 is huge! 5Gb. Will this even fit? I think the Mac book says it is 2Gb. But hard drive says 11Gb avail.?

A Mac with 2gb of hdd memory? What kind of Mac has 2gb of memory?

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Jeeper said:

How big is your HD? To keep your mac stable you should try to keep 10% free.

The Archangel

Jeeper

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, it's a black Mac book, pro (I think). The "about" says 2gb memory (I think thats ram?).
When I root around in files it says 11gb avail. I don't know how much total the hd has (sorry, I don't know much about it, it's actually an assigned laptop from work. I use it for iTunes syncing only. The rest is job related software.)
Maybe I better not mess with it, until I know what I'm doing.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
A black MacBook Pro? Is it made of plastic?

If so it isn't an Intel mac, which means it can't run the latest OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard, which means in turn that you can't run X Code 4 on it.

To be certain, (my knowledge of all MacBook models is less than perfect) go to the Apple menu and check out About This Mac to make sure you are running version OS X version 10.6.x and an Intel processor.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:

If so it isn't an Intel mac, which means it can't run the latest OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard, which means in turn that you can't run X Code 4 on it.

To be certain, (my knowledge of all MacBook models is less than perfect) go to the Apple menu and check out About This Mac to make sure you are running version OS X version 10.6.x and an Intel processor.

Then click "more info" then "serial-ATA", what does it say next to capacity?

The Archangel

Jeeper

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeh, it's plastic, a few years old. But it is running snow leopard 10.6.6
I didn't bring it home today so I don't have any more info right now.
Thanks for your replies

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score

A MacBook without an Intel CPU? Not possible. The MacBook was, from the start, an Intel-powered laptop. There was never a MacBook that wasn't.

Michael

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Jeeper said:
Thanks for your replies

Sounds like a MacBook rather than a MacBook Pro, I think the smallest HD for a black MacBook would have been 55GB but still best to check. If it's 55GB and you have 11GB free then I would suggest 5.5GB is the most you should put on it. If you have a bigger HD, anything over 100GB and you have 11GB free then I wouldn't put anything else on it and I would be looking to take stuff off the HD anyway.

Presumably once you are loaded with gestures on your iPad you can then remove the software from your Mac until they update the iOS again......not certain about this......and hopefully they will provide the gestures in the next update.

The Archangel

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tinman said:
A MacBook without an Intel CPU? Not possible. The MacBook was, from the start, an Intel-powered laptop. There was never a MacBook that wasn't.

Michael

Could be an iBook or PowerBook but I don't think so if it's black as I don't recall either being issued in black. The later iBooks looked identical to the MacBooks.

The Archangel

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score

Well, as I said I'm not an expert on all the Mac models. I wasn't aware there were any black/plastic MacBook Pros, so I guess I was just politely asking if it was really a MacBook Pro.

I think I remember there being a black MacBook available for a short while sometime back. Didn't consider that.

But since he says he is running 10.6.6, it's all moot.

Jeeper

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the great replies! I will proceed with great caution, if at all. I don't want to risk buggering up my boss's machine, I'll check the numbers closely. I would like the gestures, but can also be patient for the actual release (keep checking those rumor mills, right?).
I'll be more willing to experiment, and learn this stuff, when I get my own MacBook (maybe soon).

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Jeeper said:
Thanks for your replies

Sounds like a MacBook rather than a MacBook Pro, I think the smallest HD for a black MacBook would have been 55GB but still best to check. If it's 55GB and you have 11GB free then I would suggest 5.5GB is the most you should put on it. If you have a bigger HD, anything over 100GB and you have 11GB free then I wouldn't put anything else on it and I would be looking to take stuff off the HD anyway.

Presumably once you are loaded with gestures on your iPad you can then remove the software from your Mac until they update the iOS again......not certain about this......and hopefully they will provide the gestures in the next update.

The Archangel

I'd go with what Gabriel1 says. It's probably the best advice your going to get.

The only other thing to say is that if you can delete stuff to get another 5 or more GB back on the laptop you could probably keep the XCode. Not that it sounds like you have any reason to.

Jeeper

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeh, I'd be REALLY crazy to start deleting stuff :)
Sounds like it's too full to really push this, better safe than sorry, right?
Thanks again, awesome answers!

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Jeeper said:
Thanks for the great replies! I will proceed with great caution, if at all. I don't want to risk buggering up my boss's machine, I'll check the numbers closely. I would like the gestures, but can also be patient for the actual release (keep checking those rumor mills, right?).
I'll be more willing to experiment, and learn this stuff, when I get my own MacBook (maybe soon).

Slightly off topic but whatever size HD you have it sounds bloated. IMHO OSX is a wonderful OS but hates being bloated, I would suggest that you (or your boss) invests in an external HD and create alias's on it so you can delete data off of your HD. It is really easy to do and I can take you through the process, it will make a huge difference to how the MacBook operates and will ensure continuing stability.

The Archangel

Most reactions

Latest posts