What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to accomplish this... (iTunes ?)

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Right now my wife and I have two computers (one is gone but we forgot to deauthorize it even though we wiped the hard drive) attached to our iTunes account. Basically just my desktop.

We have three devices attached so far: iPad x2 and an iPod Nano.

My entire iTunes library for Photos, Videos, Music, and more is located on a 1TB external hard drive.

I am thinking about going back to Afghanistan for a year.

If I were to do so, I would buy a cheap Windows laptop and load iTunes on that laptop (that would be the third device) and my wife would put it on her laptop (fourth device).

What would I need to do in terms of backing stuff/porting stuff over from my desktop to take with me?

Would I just clone my 1TB external drive for both of us, install iTunes on both laptops, and take it overseas? Or would I need to back something up and put it on those laptops in ADDITION to iTunes?

Sorry if this is as confusing for you as it is for me.

Bremen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bremencole.com
Get a second external drive. Clone will not really work as iTunes wants to actually import the files.... But on new laptop just do your account, and import the media through iTunes from the first drive and onto the new drive. The the new drive will be the one you use for that computer and iPad.

Sorry, I think that paragraph was more confusing than yours.....

Maybe someone else can say it better....lol

OP
M

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When I said clone, I meant just copy all the contents of one drive to another. Also the library is on the drive but the actual iTunes information about the library is probably in my documents area...

IpadOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi let me share my experience:

we have 3 iphones ( Me, wife , son ) all device are sync in one of my Computer (as back up) … but in same time all sync in their computer and that work fine just as each have diff app’s when i sync i am prompted to transfer it in my Mac

Be noticed all use the same itunes account.

So for your case you just have to upload all the content in your Notebook and everything will be fine …

Concerning the authorization if i am not wrong in your itunes account setting you have a place where you can unauthorized computer (i have seen the option some time before)

Hope it help

robdam1001

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can always back it up to "The Cloud" via SugarSync or other. Get something that will give you web access to your files.

I use SS to "sync" selected folders and file AUTOMATICALLY between my Desktop PC, TabletPC, iphone and iPad. Works perfectly. Also provides offsite archiving.

IpadOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Clone will not really work as iTunes wants to actually import the files….

Maybe someone else can say it better....lol

Gloup’s , i have an itunes where all media and app’s are stored in external HD and work fine for me you have to set the correct path in your preferences settings

Hope it say better :D

IpadOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can always back it up to "The Cloud" via SugarSync or other. Get something that will give you web access to your files.

I use SS to "sync" selected folders and file AUTOMATICALLY between my Desktop PC, TabletPC, iphone and iPad. Works perfectly. Also provides offsite archiving.

Rob i am not so sure in Afghanistan cloud will work fine :p :p

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
Dont worry, I think they give you 5 computers to be authorized. If you want later on, apple gives you the option to deauthorize all computers from your account, you can then authorize any 5 new computers you want.

Warning: When you use the deauthorize all computers, thats it. They only let you perform the deauthorize all computers ONCE per year.

gryphon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The key is using the same iTunes account. In our house we have 2x PCs, 2 iPhones, 2 iPads they all use the same account to log in to app store, etc. The music, pics, and movies are on a server (pretty much like your external HD in your set up) but apps and library info are local.

For music, I just copy the data over to where I want it (2nd external for you, or on your laptop) and rebuild the library by pointing iTunes to it (folder); same goes for vids. For apps I do a variety of things: plug in a device to copy apps from the device to the PC; enable home sharing then letting the two iTunes client discover each other, then select what's missing from your new library (there's a filter for this), select them and import.

Bottom line is if you're cloning data to the external (2nd) drive, yes just install iTunes but you'll have to recreate your library on the new laptops.

Wolffmann34

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Also, the latest iTunes let's you sync your library over the network, amongst your 5 allowed computers. if you have the time you could do it that way.

cherhall

iPF Noob
Reaction score
We have 3 people, using 3 iPhones/3 ipads. We each use our own account because of the financial aspect. However, we authorize all three accounts on each of our computers, thus giving each of us access to anything the other buys. We just copy the media every so often, from mine to theirs, since I'm the one who keeps everything updated!

Most reactions

Latest posts