What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How many of you will consider an Android Tablet?

Will you consider purchasing an Android tablet?

• Yes! It will replace my iPad.

Votes: 22 9.7%
  • Yes! But I'll keep my iPad too.

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • No! I'll keep my iPad.

Votes: 119 52.7%
  • Maybe. I have to use it before I decide.

Votes: 50 22.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I only watched a CNet quick review. It looked pretty good. If the iPad2 disappoints I'll probably give it more serious consideration.

I was slightly amused at the apparent need to rename panes, windows, or whatever you want to call them. Fragments? Only Google would come up with a term that makes it sound like they broke the OS. Or maybe they are trying to re-spin the fragmentation argument. Heh ;)

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I was actually interested in this announcement, and have been somewhat surprised by the muted tone of the tech press coverage considering how important this will be. Both for Apple fans as well as "freedom lovers".

OP
Superbike81

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The more info we get, the less options I am coming up with. I was hoping to not have to spend $700 on a new tablet, was hoping more around $450-500, but as of right now, it's looking like the Motorola Xoom is going to be my best option. I want GPS because I want to be able to use this as a portable navigation unit that I can mount in my car via a suction cup thing to the windshield. I'll stream data to it from my rooted Android phone, so I don't need the 3G/4G model, but thats probably the only one that will have GPS. The LG slate just released specs don't include GPS, so it probably doesn't have it, and it doesn't seem as any of the others in the pipeline are mentioning it.

The good part is that even in a few years when the Xoom is essentially obsolete, it will still work great as a navigation unit and Bluetooth streaming media player in my car.

Wolfpuppies3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not a chance

I appreciate my iPad for everything it is. I have a laptop if I want to load and run software. Seen the new ASUS pad? It's a smaller screen, probably more difficult to view because of that, but huge and heavy. My 15" MacBook Pro is huge and heavy but ideal for what I ask of it which is not to balance on my chest whilst reading a book or viewing a movie.

Thphilli

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I appreciate my iPad for everything it is. I have a laptop if I want to load and run software. Seen the new ASUS pad? It's a smaller screen, probably more difficult to view because of that, but huge and heavy. My 15" MacBook Pro is huge and heavy but ideal for what I ask of it which is not to balance on my chest whilst reading a book or viewing a movie.

What are you even talking about? What Asus pad?

ASUS Eee Pad Slider and Transformer arrive for those that can't imagine using a tablet without a physical keyboard -- Engadget

Those are two Asus Android tablets. They are not "huge", they are not "heavy" and their screens are larger than the iPad.

So again, what are you talking about?

Also, if I had $1700 - $3129 invested in Apple products as you do, I probably wouldn't be considering switching platforms either.

Last edited:

Markl8

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I wont buy any tablet that is smaller than the iPad. This size is just perfect for my needs.

OP
Superbike81

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Scattered Best Buy's around the US are reporting a February 24th release date for the Xoom. I'm probably going to get it, but I'm still going to wait it out a couple months to see the LG and Asus tablets as well as the others slated for release soon.

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Scattered Best Buy's around the US are reporting a February 24th release date for the Xoom. I'm probably going to get it, but I'm still going to wait it out a couple months to see the LG and Asus tablets as well as the others slated for release soon.

I'm pretty sure I will pick up a XOOM myself, more out of curiosity but the two things I think I will have an issue with are the lack of certain apps I use on my iPad and also the wider screen ratio - the video clip that shows the keyboard being used in landscape doesn't leave much screen left for viewing. I still think 4:3 ratio works best in a tablet at this size.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts