What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How many of you will consider an Android Tablet?

Will you consider purchasing an Android tablet?

• Yes! It will replace my iPad.

Votes: 22 9.7%
  • Yes! But I'll keep my iPad too.

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • No! I'll keep my iPad.

Votes: 119 52.7%
  • Maybe. I have to use it before I decide.

Votes: 50 22.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thphilli

iPF Noob
Reaction score
best video ive seen for the device yet. Still not sold. As they have no showed anything for taking notes, or business. Nor have they shown any real flash videos or websites. Flash is shit on android phones right now. maybe it will get better...but bah!

Right now, my main purchase will be the ipad 2 still.

Tegra 2 plays 1080p video, so it will handle flash with ease. Also, there are a ton of new features which have not been revealed yet, such as googles music service. This thing is going to be awesome. Just need to make sure that Motorola didn't lock down the bootloader and I am pretty much sold.

OP
Superbike81

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Freebirdforever : I guess I'm having trouble understanding your logic. Why would you say the iPad 2 will be your main purchase when you know absolutely nothing about it? There hasn't been a single official word from Apple regarding the features of it.

freebirdforever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
senshudo.tv
Superbike81 said:
Freebirdforever : I guess I'm having trouble understanding your logic. Why would you say the iPad 2 will be your main purchase when you know absolutely nothing about it? There hasn't been a single official word from Apple regarding the features of it.

Because I run a business. All of my data and alps for my business are stored on the ipad. If the ipad 2 allows me to facetime and keep my data the way it is, ill be extremely happy. I know what the ipad can do for me in terms of my business. And like I said above, xoom has not shown anything but entertainment yet. They have not shown how it can be used for notes, word processing, excel, or power point. The android market as it stands right now pales in comparison to the apple market, and I know that ail change but right now, apple is still ahead.

Price will also be a factor. I wouldn't be surprised if mono/verizon charged more for this device than the Tab.

OP
Superbike81

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Office files? Well, Android has the app "Documents to Go" just like the iPad does.

Notes? I'm sure there will be several different notepad apps. There already are several on the Android Market for phones.

Price? More than the Galaxy Tab? Probably not. Same price? I'd lean more towards that guess. It's now $299 on contract from Best Buy. There is also a Wi-Fi only version coming any time now (Q1 2011) which will likely be $399, which is the price I would expect the Wi-Fi Xoom to be the same price, maybe as high as $450.

freebirdforever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
senshudo.tv
Office files? Well, Android has the app "Documents to Go" just like the iPad does.

Notes? I'm sure there will be several different notepad apps. There already are several on the Android Market for phones.

Price? More than the Galaxy Tab? Probably not. Same price? I'd lean more towards that guess. It's now $299 on contract from Best Buy. There is also a Wi-Fi only version coming any time now (Q1 2011) which will likely be $399, which is the price I would expect the Wi-Fi Xoom to be the same price, maybe as high as $450.

Motorola Xoom Price: How Much Would You Pay? : Product Reviews Net I point you to this sir, I know its just speculation. But still, its not far off.

freebirdforever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
senshudo.tv
There are so many tablet PCs & handheld on the NET, Brands Samsung, HTC, ARCHOS, APPLE, DELL etc competing for your attention and your pocket.... You have to put so many thing into consideration when choosing , like ease of use, interconnectivity6 with other Equipment, home theatre, phones, USB docks etc.... i will say most of them are more or less same but APPLE some how stands out, in terms of APPs available, Hig Res of the LED Screen, Mind you Apple is just getting started, in the next few years rthere will be more APPS Avaliables so i will go 4 APPLE IPADS ANYDAY. get more info on apple.com

He does have a point...Apple has stood the test of time.

Thphilli

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Motorola Xoom Price: How Much Would You Pay? : Product Reviews Net I point you to this sir, I know its just speculation. But still, its not far off.

Yes, that is absolutely far off. The low end they quote is near a thousand US dollars. The tablet will be half of that.

rogatsby

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Superbike81 said:
Article doesn't apply to the US market, and like you said, it's only speculation anyways. You cannot directly convert the price in GBP to USD and expect it to cost that much. For example, the new car my wife and I are a buying, the Volvo XC60, is going to cost us about $36,000, but if you did a direct currency conversion from the UK price, it would come out to $55,000! If they are really planning on releasing the Wi-Fi model in April, we will probably hear the set price by early March, or maybe sooner. But I guarantee you it's not going to be $1100.

I love it when articles say "we expect...." without providing any reasoning whatsoever. They said they expect the battery to only last 5-8 hours. But why? What leads them to believe it will be lower than the claimed 10hr video playback life. It would be nice if they wouldn't just make random claims without providing more explanation.

1) Ease of use - Android is an extremely to use OS. It only gets complex when you make it complex by modifying things and changing the user interface (which is the fun part!)

2) With bluetooth it can pretty much interact with anything.

3) Home theater. Well it's got an HDMI out port, which means you can connect it to your home theater if you really want. What does the iPad have to do that? The VGA out that only displays certain things? LOL

4) They have mentioned an available dock several times in different videos and interviews.

5) Apple does have a more robust app store. But that's not to say that the Android Marketplace is completely terrible, it's got some pretty cool apps, many of the same ones available on iPhone/iPad.

6) High res LED screen? Oh, you mean the lower resolution iPad screen in old style 4:3 aspect ratio? Or the much more useful 16:10, and HIGHER resolution 1280x800 resolution of the Xoom?

7) Just getting started? Are you kidding? The iPad has been out for almost a year! In the world of electronics, that is a LONG time.

Again, who knows what the iPad 2 will offer, maybe more resolution, maybe more memory, maybe this, maybe that. We just don't know yet. But as of right now, based on specs alone, the Xoom kicks the iPad's ass all up and down the street.

I think we all know that specs don't mean squat. The Galaxy S and HtC Evo and many other devices have much better specs than the iPhone. Are they kicking the iPhone's ass "all up and down the street", lol? Let's see this thing perform and wait for some reviews before the Xoom is christened as an iPad beater.

OP
Superbike81

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Actually the Galaxy S has virtually equal specs to the iPhone 4 (1GHZ, 512MB RAM). Yes, to some people, it does kick iPhone ass simply due to the user interface. After using my Galaxy S, I could never go to an iPhone 4 due to all the features I would be missing out on.

Might wanna check your facts before you start spouting off crap.

The Xoom beats the specs of the iPad significantly.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Superbike81 said:

Except that the interface is designed for a phone's screen. Size does make a difference. The biggest handicap for Android tablets has been the lack of good apps designed for them. The lack of an official market, and an OS that wasn't designed for tablets pretty much guaranteed that.

Those problems will soon be gone. Now it's just a matter of how fast the devs can start turning out some great software. Shouldn't take too long. Lots good devs in the Android Market.

In the meantime comparing Documents to Go on an iPad to a phone version isn't going to make a compelling argument for Android tablets.

rogatsby

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Superbike81 said:
Actually the Galaxy S has virtually equal specs to the iPhone 4 (1GHZ, 512MB RAM). Yes, to some people, it does kick iPhone ass simply due to the user interface. After using my Galaxy S, I could never go to an iPhone 4 due to all the features I would be missing out on.

Might wanna check your facts before you start spouting off crap.

The Xoom beats the specs of the iPad significantly.

I own both. The Galaxy S is OK, but you have to tweak the hell out of it to get anywhere near the smoothness and performance of the iPhone. If you do a search for Galaxy S, the most common topic is "lag fix". I rarely use it. I'm good with tinkering and tweaking my devices (I used to make custom ROMs for WinMo phones) but the Galaxy is still a pain to use.

I love the fact that my iDevices are simple, elegant and just work. Also, the Android market is still terrible compared to the App Store.

Again, specs don't mean squat. Assuming the Galaxy has similar specs, what about the Evo, lol? Or the slew of Android phones released before the iPhone 4? Did they kick the 3GS' ass?

I won't address your personal insults because that would be a waste of my time.

OP
Superbike81

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Personal insults? LOL! Where did you see a single personal insult?

Yes, iOS is smoother overall than Android OS, it's easy to be smoother when you are designing an OS meant to run on a single proprietary device. The "Lag Fix" stuff is simply overclocking the phone, which most tinkerers want to do. But the thing is Android 2.2 speeds up things significantly, so lag/slow response is not a problem on mine.

You asked about the HTC Evo, again it's got a 1GHZ processor and 512MB RAM, just like the iPhone 4 and Galaxy S. Pretty much, yeah, most Android phones do "kick the iPhone's ass" in some ways, but not in others. Like I said before, if you just want a simple device with nice apps but little to no customization options, iPhone is for you. If you want to personalize your user experience, Android is for you. I had an iPhone 3Gs too and I hated it because I could mess with it, I even jailbroke it and I still wasn't satisfied.

This all comes down to personal preference as far as the OS goes, but on pure hardware specs (which DO matter for overall performance) the new Android tablets are kicking iPad ass. Again, as I said before, we will have to wait and see what Apple does with the iPad 2 to see if it will compete.

iOS lovers will always be iOS lovers for certain reasons. The same goes for Android OS lovers, but we will love it for different reasons. I don't use even 0.0000001% of the apps on the AppStore, and the ones I do use are mostly also available on the Android Marketplace. I don't care about Apple branded crap like Pages and Numbers because I'm not going to do any serious productivity work on a tablet anyways. For productivity I've got a MacBook Pro or my Win7 desktop.

I like Android because I'm given more freedom and more options than iOS. I can do so much more with Android than I could ever do with iOS. If you don't mind being locked in a really really nice room with a few really nice things, go for iOS. But if you want to go outside of the room and explore the outside world Android OS if for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts