What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How many of you will consider an Android Tablet?

Will you consider purchasing an Android tablet?

• Yes! It will replace my iPad.

Votes: 22 9.7%
  • Yes! But I'll keep my iPad too.

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • No! I'll keep my iPad.

Votes: 119 52.7%
  • Maybe. I have to use it before I decide.

Votes: 50 22.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
Superbike81

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This thread should be closed. Why are there so many Android fanboys and Apple haters posting on this forum these days?

Because in my case, I got the iPad at launch and there wasn't anything else on the market. I've spent the last nine months trying and trying to make the iPad work for me. Now that I've got a modern Android phone and know how much I love it and how it has made me realize how many cool features I was missing out on. I didn't complain much before because there weren't any other decent options on the market. Now we have several great options coming up so I can finally actually do something about the frustration and it's a good feeling.

If you guys don't want to read about the ipad's competition, go ahead and read the thousands of threads on here about people who love their iPad.

gzwilliam88

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm using 7" Android Tablet too. It is good for reading books, comics, watching movies outside home.

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Because in my case, I got the iPad at launch and there wasn't anything else on the market. I've spent the last nine months trying and trying to make the iPad work for me. Now that I've got a modern Android phone and know how much I love it and how it has made me realize how many cool features I was missing out on. I didn't complain much before because there weren't any other decent options on the market. Now we have several great options coming up so I can finally actually do something about the frustration and it's a good feeling.

This is the very reason I would love to see Apple up their game with the iPad and lesson their restrictions. If they beef up the specs on the iPad then why not allow Flash to be optional as it is with the new Mac Airs for example? I understand why Apple is taking a stance against Flash but at the same time, as mobile hardware gets more powerful, why not leave it to the end user to decide?
By not giving these kinds of choices to the user, we have the option of using other devices which will give us the choice!
I got the iPad because it was the best around and really does work well for what it is but if I can get a similar experience with a another device but with added freedom / flexibility then why shouldn't I?

RedWings

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I really enjoy the iPad, but I don't feel it can even hold a candle to Android. IPad is like a little 6 year old kid always dependent on its mommy (otherwise known as iTunes). If it could grow 100% out of that dependency, it could finally start to compete with Android... but Apple might be too controlling and lockdown minded to grant such user freedom...As it is, its only a matter of time before I switch up... the phone is Android... soon the tablet will be, too. I basically see Apple as Disneyland Prison, Android as freedom. :)

Yet you bought an iPad?

I know this question is not directed at me but I think I share the same opinion as that person and I bought an iPad too. The reason I did even though the Xoom had been shown at CES is because I'm a gadget freak who isn't married to one manufacturer or operating system.

I know a few months from now when the Xoom is released, I may sell my iPad and get one if the reviews and battery life are favorable. I knew this before I bought the iPad and willing to pay for whatever value I lose because I enjoy trying different devices.

xune

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I really enjoy the iPad, but I don't feel it can even hold a candle to Android. IPad is like a little 6 year old kid always dependent on its mommy (otherwise known as iTunes). If it could grow 100% out of that dependency, it could finally start to compete with Android... but Apple might be too controlling and lockdown minded to grant such user freedom...As it is, its only a matter of time before I switch up... the phone is Android... soon the tablet will be, too. I basically see Apple as Disneyland Prison, Android as freedom. :)

Yet you bought an iPad?

If you know what you are doing, and have a little training, (which is completely free at an Apple store), you can use an iPad on it's own.

A little iWork here, a little MobileMe there, add in a couple accessories like an Apple TV and a AirStash maybe, and Voila. Easy as pie.

Sorry, but the info and the help is all over the place. Anyone who thinks the iPad is THAT hard to use is either lazy (sorry, but calling it like I see it) or hasn't gotten any help that comes for free through any workshop or personal set up.

I'd hate to think that ipadzombie was actually trolling or anything, but how hard is it to use an iPad compared to an android tablet? If one feels that it's locked down that bad, why not just jailbreak it already?

OP
Superbike81

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Because even jailbreaking doesn't give you all of the functionality that Android OS offers.

Besides currently the jailbreak for the newest OS is only tethered, which turns quite a few people off. Even jailbreaking on Android (called rooting) is better, you can do so much more.

The iPad is very simple, that's the problem some of us have with it, it's TOO simple. So simple that if you want to do anything beyond basic browsing with it you have to buy things like a MobileME account, Apple TV, and AirStash. None of that is required with Android devices.

xune

iPF Noob
Reaction score
^ so what you're saying is that an android tablet will stream pics, music, and videos to a tv w/o wires?

Or sync data, like docs, pics, songs, spreadsheets, calendar appts, contacts, ect to and from all of your other computers and handheld devices automatically and in near real time?

And provides automatic and manual storage and back up with wireless data access point streaming with wireless USB connectivity on the fly?

All included for no extra charge? I'm not trying to sound cynical, because I really don't know if this is what an android tablet can do on it's own for no extra fee. If it can do all of these things just as well and for no more than what it costs to do it with the iPad, I'd be interested in hearing more about it. I simply haven't given any android tablet a serious look, mainly because of tablet size and battery life.. If it's not around 10" with 10+ hr batt. life, the rest is not that important to me, since I use my ipad for long periods of time and use it as my main computer (keep in mind, at I also have an iMac and a Windows7 PC).

OP
Superbike81

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
^ so what you're saying is that an android tablet will stream pics, music, and videos to a tv w/o wires?

Or sync data, like docs, pics, songs, spreadsheets, calendar appts, contacts, ect to and from all of your other computers and handheld devices automatically and in near real time?

And provides automatic and manual storage and back up with wireless data access point streaming with wireless USB connectivity on the fly?

All included for no extra charge? I'm not trying to sound cynical, because I really don't know if this is what an android tablet can do on it's own for no extra fee. If it can do all of these things just as well and for no more than what it costs to do it with the iPad, I'd be interested in hearing more about it. I simply haven't given any android tablet a serious look, mainly because of tablet size and battery life.. If it's not around 10" with 10+ hr batt. life, the rest is not that important to me, since I use my ipad for long periods of time and use it as my main computer (keep in mind, at I also have an iMac and a Windows7 PC).

There are apps for Android to wirelessly transfer data, including the stock Bluetooth way. No you can't stream to a TV without an interface device hooked up to a TV, but that's a physical limitation, the iPad needs Apple TV (which ends up only playing a limited amount of file types). But you can connect it directly to a TV using a simple HDMI cable, no need to buy extra adapters. It will also display everything you see on the screen normally, unlike iOS which only shows certain things. Wireless USB connectivity? Not sure I follow, USB is a wired interface.

10" Android tablet with 10hr (video playback) claimed battery life? Motorola Xoom fits those requirements. It will also allow you to customize it to your liking, so it won't look and function like EVERY OTHER Xoom (*cough*iPad). If you want to get real frisky, you can root it and load custom modified versions of Android, overclock it as well as many other things.

Last edited:

RedWings

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't see how anyone can argue that the iPad is not limited compared to something like the Xoom with honeycomb. I can't tell if it is just blind love for the iPad or these users have never tried anything else outside of iOS.

The only android device I currently have is my EVO 4G. And even without touching an android tablet, I know the Xoom will be a better device than the iPad given there are no bugs and the battery life is good.

The iPad is a great device for people who enjoy simplicity. It offers a lot of functionality without much learning or searching around the device. It is all right there in front of you. You want your photos? Click on Photos. You want to put something on your device (Music, videos, pictures, etc..), do it through Itunes. That is why the iPad is so popular. (1) Simple (2) aesthetically pleasing (3) easy to use (4) lots of support (5) great integration with other Apple products.

I think what people need to do is stop putting the two against eachother for the masses and concentrate on their wants/needs in a device. I know that Android may be a better fit for me.....but I'm not going to sit back and call the iPad a POS because I know it isn't.

jkhonea

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
This claim can be made at this point because the Xoom hasn't even been released into the real world yet. Then it can go head to head. I have a Droid Incredible, love it. Also buying the Verizon iPhone next month. If the Droid tablets are good, I will get one to go with the iPad. I sure as hell don't see the Xoom and other tablets making the iPad obsolete my any stretch of the imagination.

In a lot of cases, a lot of people find it easy to spout the limitations of the iPad without finding out it can actually do what they claim it won't. (Not speaking directly about anyone).

matt_90036

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This poll gives quite interesting results. 50% of people on this forum will get an android or are considering one. A huge potential market for anybody who makes a quality tablet.

matt_90036

iPF Noob
Reaction score
^ so what you're saying is that an android tablet will stream pics, music, and videos to a tv w/o wires?.
Not yet.

Any device with dropbox can do it

^
Any WiFi enabled device can do it.

Can ipad do this?
- not synch but use USB to transfer music?
- play more than 2 kinds of video formats without streaming?
- connect a USB drive?
- insert an SD card?
- true multitasking?
- download and play videos directly from the web?
- DOWNLOAD EMAIL ATTACHMENTS without a fee?

iPad is crippled and it works well for people who just want to read news on it and play a couple of video games. It's not a even a great consumption device with the lack of support to download music and videos. I am happy with it because at the time when I bought it there was nothing else on the market but just like the iPods were sold and replaced, so will the iPad.

All included for no extra charge? PC).[/QUOTE]

Thphilli

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Yet you bought an iPad?

If you know what you are doing, and have a little training, (which is completely free at an Apple store), you can use an iPad on it's own.

A little iWork here, a little MobileMe there, add in a couple accessories like an Apple TV and a AirStash maybe, and Voila. Easy as pie.

Sorry, but the info and the help is all over the place. Anyone who thinks the iPad is THAT hard to use is either lazy (sorry, but calling it like I see it) or hasn't gotten any help that comes for free through any workshop or personal set up.

I'd hate to think that ipadzombie was actually trolling or anything, but how hard is it to use an iPad compared to an android tablet? If one feels that it's locked down that bad, why not just jailbreak it already?

Visiting a friends house and they have a movie in mkv format that I want to copy onto my ipad. What is the simplest way to do this?

First of all, I have to download a piece of software on their computer to convert the movie into mp4 or m4v. Then I have to wait an hour or so for it to convert. Then I have to upload it into dropbox or something, IF it is under the 2gb limit. Then I have to download it OTA to my ipad. Then I have a file on my ipad that is not recognized by the stock video player. . . . .

Compared to:

Oh, I like that movie, let me plug in my android phone, select Mass Storage, transfer the movie, play it in the stock player.

Thphilli

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Every single Android device has been able to do this from the beginning. DLNA, look it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts