What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How many apps make money?

mobi1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
With so many apps in app store, how many are actually making money?

I think only a handful apps are backed by big companies and the rest are made by either a very small team or just one man band.

Is there any stat of how many times an app is downloaded (either paid or free)?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In the iPad App Store, there's a Top Charts section, which shows the ranking of the apps in terms of

'Top Ranking Paid For App'
'Top Ranking Free App'
'Top Grossing App'

and so on....

It would be very interesting, though, to see the distribution of downloads - I suspect that's a closely guarded secret!!

Tim

OP
M

mobi1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It is not a secret, apple does send the download numbers to developers (because a friend of mine who were involved in developing an app told me). However whether they want to publish it it is upto them.

The top gross etc does not mean anything. The absolute numbers are more important.

The Alternative

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
thealternativeone.blogspot.com
With so many apps in app store, how many are actually making money?

I think only a handful apps are backed by big companies and the rest are made by either a very small team or just one man band.

Is there any stat of how many times an app is downloaded (either paid or free)?

I don't have any hard facts concerning this issue but I think it telling that so many developers want to get their apps listed on iTunes.

Reaction score
That's a bang for buck thing imo. Chances of an app making positive revenue are much greater on ios than Palm or Windows simply by name recognition if nothing else. Like it or not iTunes, true or not, has a reputation of huge exposure to the general public and trusted by the masses as the app will work right and there is no need to individualize said app for 200 devices like with Android, a plus for the developer.

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from my Inc

Most reactions

Latest posts