What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Setting for making iOS apps self aware

dbryant11

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not sure how to say it, but is there a way to let an iOS device (ipad and iphone) "know" that an app is there? As I'm sure many of you do, I have apps that are derivatives of web sites, from companies that send me mail. However, each and every time, on either device, I click on a link in an email, they always ask me if I want to install their app, prior to sending me to their web site. (Like Groupon, or Houzz, etc) I already "have" their app. Is there a way to toggle a setting or something to make these "sites" self aware than an app is installed, and not ask me to re install, and then send me to a web site instead? Great idea by the way, if there's not...... I call dibs on idea!!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
No, there is not.

At best a site can implement a dialog basically says, quit bothering me. It would need to keep a cookie on the iPad to tell it your answer, or depend on you logging into the site and changing an option.

Since these dialogs are initiated by the site, not the iPad, the only way for it to recognize that you have its app would be for it to know all the apps on you iPad. Is that breach of privacy worth avoiding a dialog? I don't think so.

Luber905

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Check that you are accepting cookies in Settings/Safari/Privacy. You can choose "Never", "From Visited", or "Always".

Most reactions

Latest posts